Mic for ARC Genesis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furbyland

Reaction score
Where do I get the Mic from using with the arc Genesis? The ARC mic seems to evade purchase suppliers, and the PBK mic is unclear if must be ordered from ML. Can I use a USB miniDSP UMIK that's easily available on amazon (although pricey too) and has a calibration file? Seem like paying $100+ for just the mic is unreasonable.

To my knowledge, you have to use the Anthem/ML mic. I would love to use my miniDSP UMIK-1, but last time I dug into it, general consensus was that it was not compatible because there's no way to load the UMIK calibration file into Genesis.

The microphone in the Anthem ARC kit is the same as the mic in the Martin Logan PBK set, so either would work. You can buy the PBK from online dealers like Crutchfield -- MartinLogan Perfect Bass Kit

To my knowledge, you have to use the Anthem/ML mic. I would love to use my miniDSP UMIK-1, but last time I dug into it, general consensus was that it was not compatible because there's no way to load the UMIK calibration file into Genesis.

The microphone in the Anthem ARC kit is the same as the mic in the Martin Logan PBK set, so either would work. You can buy the PBK from online dealers like Crutchfield -- MartinLogan Perfect Bass Kit

Thanks for the advice. I bit the bullet and ordered from Crutchfield. I've wasted far too much time trying to work around the potential compatibility isse, and it's simply not worth it for $120. Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. I bit the bullet and ordered from Crutchfield. I've wasted far too much time trying to work around the potential compatibility isse, and it's simply not worth it for $120. Cheers.

Can I ask a favor? After you get the kit from Crutchfield, can you please post an update to this thread with details on what mic you received? I have the original black one that came with my Anthem AVM 60, but last time I was at my local shop, they showed me a new mic that Anthem/ML are using now that looks more like the miniDSP UMIK.

The newer mic looks like this:

Can I ask a favor? After you get the kit from Crutchfield, can you please post an update to this thread with details on what mic you received? I have the original black one that came with my Anthem AVM 60, but last time I was at my local shop, they showed me a new mic that Anthem/ML are using now that looks more like the miniDSP UMIK.

The newer mic looks like this:
On ML.com they are still showing the same old plastic mic I have that came with PBK. Is it possible there's a new mic for PBK also, and not just for Anthem processors?

I also would love to be able to use any mic I want, like the UMIK mics.

I sent an info request to ML about if the mic is now an updated mic or the old plastic one that I have. They replied that PBK now ships with a new updated mic.

I also asked can we use a different mic? No.

I guess I'll be ordering a new kit sometime in the near future, but not in any hurry.

I sent an info request to ML about if the mic is now an updated mic or the old plastic one that I have. They replied that PBK now ships with a new updated mic.

I also asked can we use a different mic? No.

I guess I'll be ordering a new kit sometime in the near future, but not in any hurry.

Thanks for the info! I'm tempted to order a new kit so I can compare the results from the new mic with my original Anthem mic and see how the measurements compare. I would hope they'd be the same or very close, but you never know...

I got one of the new mic's with my Anthem MRX 740 receiver. I haven't compared it with the older plastic mic, but suspect they both have the same performance for frequencies <500 Hz, which is all you need for optimizing bass in the Masterpiece series. I suspect the new mics might offer more accurate measurements for the higher frequencies in a home theater setup, and/or with non- electrostatic speakers.

I wonder if ML/Anthem will sell users the new mic alone (without the tripod), for those who have the older PBK kit, but think the new mic could offer an improvement.

Back