Mcintosh MDA/MCD1000 duet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLFAN

Reaction score
Just got my MC402 for my CLSii, wonderful sound impovement in term of power as well as soundstage. Can't wait any longer for my MDA/MCD1000 duet which both will be arrived in weeks. I guess that would be a perfect trio with direct hookup to the MC402. Any idea you guys may want to advice for this setup or using my MX132 ? which output speaker terminal 2, 4, 8 ohm should be connected to the CLSii in order to reach to the speakers' top performance ? THANKS

I believe the general consensus is to go with the manufacturer's average impedance rating and use the output terminal closest. My suggestion is to try that first, then try a higher impedance terminal and compare. Supposedly, matching the impedance with traditional amps, especially tube amps, lessens the distortion, as the amp doesn't have to work as hard. Curiously, for my speakers, the 8 ohm tap produces better (to my ears) sound than using the 4 ohm tap (the nominal impedance of my speakers). This, of course, goes against traditional logic, as the distortion should be higher. Your amp has that Autoformer technology, which is supposed to reduce distortion into any speaker load, so I suggest you simply try both the 4 ohm tap and the 8 ohm tap and give a listen to see which you prefer.

Steve, Thanks for your advice, I compared to both terminal loads with the CLSii over the weekend and I think the 8ohm load is more preferably, Hope it isnt just my imagination. What would be your comments about the Mac MDA/MCD1000 combo if not too bother your time. This is quite a bit of investment. Always like to hear any professional advices. thanks again.

Will be in Austin tomorrow, If ok, any chance for a meet up, like to see the Wilson Watt....

Last edited:
I own the 1K combo and find it to be very pleasing even if it does not do SACD. I have 501's and drive my Spires off of the 4 ohm tap. This tap gives me the best sound for my ears. I thought the 8 was to fat and bloated and the 2 was very thin and weak for me. I'm sure with the taps available one of them will meet your needs.

Regarding the 1K combo, I've tried several different wires and have settled on on a WireWorld balanced piece to connect the the two. An inexpensive and superb balanced cable can be had from believe it or not but the "Guitar Center". I have a complete set of Mogami Gold XLR's which are a very fine and resolving wire despite the price which I use in rotation for a bit flavor.

Gordon

I would definitely agree with Gordon, I used to own the 1K (MCD/MDA) and 501's, plus 2x275s. I direct drove from MDA and then also used Pre 220 plus C46 as well. 4ohm gave you the smoothness and dynamics together.

... and I think the 8ohm load is more preferably, Hope it isnt just my imagination. ** Don't fret, trust your ears. After all, the system should sound good to you, you're the one listening to it!

What would be your comments about the Mac MDA/MCD1000 combo if not too bother your time. **I have no experience with those units, sorry.
This is quite a bit of investment. Always like to hear any professional advices. thanks again. **Me, professional? That's a good one! I'm just another traveler on the audiophile highway.

... and I think the 8ohm load is more preferably, Hope it isnt just my imagination. ** Don't fret, trust your ears. After all, the system should sound good to you, you're the one listening to it!

What would be your comments about the Mac MDA/MCD1000 combo if not too bother your time. **I have no experience with those units, sorry.
This is quite a bit of investment. Always like to hear any professional advices. thanks again. **Me, professional? That's a good one! I'm just another traveler on the audiophile highway.

Sure, when I used 8ohm it was fast and dynamic but lacked the smooth openness and I was working with 8ohm speakers. But there are so many variables in this area (not just unit sound but electrical variations with the different taps) - it depends on what works to your ears of course.
MCD/MDA is a great combination, smooth and detailed but what I really liked about it was the perception of air or space around everything and it gave the impression of lowering the noise floor, I used before that the Mark Levinson 390s, Wadia 861 (various variations) and Mac MS750. I moved into loss-less storage of my 1900 or so CDs so went down a different direction going back to feeding a Wadia 27ix with my computer files.

Back