mc275 with mc2105?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefchowmein

Reaction score
ok I'm still a newb to the MLClub. Ever since I got the aerius i, I been searching for that perfect sound (at least to my ear). That and being fickle.
I'm sure some of you probably read some of my progress. Anyways, here is a quick recap. Hoping to see if I can get more advice.

I started with the Jolida 302b. Sounds good, but didn't give me the sound that I was looking for. Sounds a little under power.
Picked up a Jeff Rowland Model 1 and borrow a rotel 1070 pre which gave me plenty of power to drive it but still didn't give me the balanced sound that I wanted. Some suggested that Rotel was the issue.
Picked up a Cary CAD-5500 pre and that fixed some of the issue. The sound was more balance but for some reason the soundstage seems to be lacking in something. The music wasn't as detail as I though. I almost want to say it sounded better with my Jolida powering my Blueroom Minipod. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.
So, I went down to the local shop and brought home the mc275V to audition to see if it's really something wrong with my setup or if the sound I'm looking for is tube. At the same time I swap out the pre to amp DIY interconnect to the Kimber Hero.
During last night's listening, I finally heard the sound that I was looking for. The detail in the music, the balance of the sound stage. Dexter Gordon never sounded so good. You can almost feel the reed on his Sax vibrating.
I just wonder if I can get a little bit more bass out of the system.
After doing alot of search and reading on this board and audiokarma, I couldn't really find an answer. I know there are two camps here. One being bi-amping with tube powering stats, ss powering sub and the other just have 1 amp or monoblock each speaker. So the question is, in search of the perfect sound is it worthwhile to biamp with the mc275? I was going to try bi-amping with the mc275 and the JR tonight to see if I can get a difference. Likewise listen to the JR with the Hero interconnect (in case that was my issue). The other thing I was wondering if it would be a better match with bi-amping with a vintage mc2105? Knowing that both have the "Mcintosh sound". I guess the last part of the question is should I just leave it alone with the mc275 and stop spending money:p
If I do decide to keep the mc275, I guess the Jolida and the Jeff Rowland might go up on the sale block.

So the question is, in search of the perfect sound is it worthwhile to biamp with the mc275? I was going to try bi-amping with the mc275 and the JR tonight to see if I can get a difference.
Bi-amping with the JR model 1 may give you a glimpse of how your system will sound with the MC275 relieved of bass-duties, and the JR giving a bit more tautness to the bass. Definitely a step in the right direction, but I think you'll need a bit more oomph on the woofers to give you the bass you're looking for. Look for a good, reputable solid-state like Bryston, Threshold, Parasound, Sunfire, older Classe', etc... around 150wpc or so, depending on your budget.

The other thing I was wondering if it would be a better match with bi-amping with a vintage mc2105? Knowing that both have the "Mcintosh sound".
The Mc2105 being tube-based weighing in at 100wpc, will probably result in flabby bass since it does not have the grip-like control on the woofers. Better to go solid-state on the woofers.

Good luck
Spike

The Mc2105 being tube-based weighing in at 100wpc, will probably result in flabby bass since it does not have the grip-like control on the woofers. Better to go solid-state on the woofers.

Good luck
Spike

thanks for the tip. I thought the mc2105 was a solid state? I might be wrong though. Anyone have experience with this particular amp?

I googled "mcintosh mc2105" and came up with this link...
McIntosh MC2105 at Analog Stereo

Oops, I stand corrected. The description says 'tube' but the face plate says 'solid-state'! Also a few other links describes this amp to be solid-state as well.

Spike

Last edited:
Back