matching the best AMP to ASCENT i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLGRUB

Reaction score
Hello ML members !!
I own the ASCENT i for over 1 year and i am happy . :bowdown:
my preamp is MERIDIAN 561 ( pre processor ) , and i am using JPS ULTRA conductor BI -wire speakers cables .
My current power amp is ALCHEMIST FORESTI APD20 MKII , and it sound well , but i am quite sure that the speakers can do much better - with better power amp. the question is which power amp will do it .
my budget is ~ 3000 USD .

I have a chance to buy a pair of CLASS D "Acoustic Reality" eAR 1001 Ref mono power amps. ( see below link )
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/usergallery.htm

My questions are :

1. does anyone - know these eAR amps ? will it be a good match with the ASCENTS ?

2. I will be happy to receive your reccomendations for a suitable power amp with my 3K$ budget .

Thank you all !!

I need you advise guys - if these eAR amps - can be a good match

Hello ML members !!
I own the ASCENT i for over 1 year and i am happy . :bowdown:
my preamp is MERIDIAN 561 ( pre processor ) , and i am using JPS ULTRA conductor BI -wire speakers cables .
My current power amp is ALCHEMIST FORESTI APD20 MKII , and it sound well , but i am quite sure that the speakers can do much better - with better power amp. the question is which power amp will do it .
my budget is ~ 3000 USD .

I have a chance to buy a pair of CLASS D "Acoustic Reality" eAR 1001 Ref mono power amps. ( see below link )
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/usergallery.htm

My questions are :

1. does anyone - know these eAR amps ? will it be a good match with the ASCENTS ?

2. I will be happy to receive your reccomendations for a suitable power amp with my 3K$ budget .

Thank you all !!

I need you advise guys - if these eAR amps - can be a good match

Rolgrub, I suggest you visit their site... http://arhifi.dk/store/
I noticed that they are class D amps. Notice that some of their amps are stable to 1 ohm, but others are not. They specifically say which amps are stable enough into low impedances for electrostatic speaker use. Martin Logans have a low impedance at high frequencies so this is a somewhat important factor. Good luck in your amp search.

Rolgrub, I suggest you visit their site... http://arhifi.dk/store/
I noticed that they are class D amps. Notice that some of their amps are stable to 1 ohm, but others are not. They specifically say which amps are stable enough into low impedances for electrostatic speaker use. Martin Logans have a low impedance at high frequencies so this is a somewhat important factor. Good luck in your amp search.

Dear Steve
Thanks for your advise .
Looking at the eAR webiste - i could not find if the Ref 1001 can go down to 1 ohm .

Does anybody had experience with these CLASS D amps to be connected with ML ?

i will be happy to get some more members suggestions for SS amp to match with my ASCENT / MERIDIAN set

Thanks
Roli

Many, many, many threads on this.

Use the search feature and get comfortable.

Good luck.

GG

for me on my SL3, it is a ss amp on the woofers with a 75 watt tube amp on the panels with both run off a CJ tube preamp. I am very happy with this arrangement

Hello,
I would recommend the Plinius SA-100 MKII on up. These are excellent Amplifiers and provide excellent power reserves. Parasound's A51 would be another great choice as well. And finally, if you could find an Aragon 8008bb or Aragon Palladium Monoblocks, you would not be disappointed.
Cheers,
JJ

I'd go with amps designed for ESL's, like the Sanders Sound System amps. A used amp can be had for $3K, new ones are $4K.

I find most class D's unstable into ESL loads, and would never consider one.

Dear Members

Recently I purchased a PLINIUS SA-100 MKIII power amp ,and the sound was improved a lot .
Today I was seating enjoying the music and I raised the volume to high level , and suddenly I could hear the music distorted . wow it was a surprise !!!

I have checked the 2 speakers and found that one of the woofers is making the distortion . the panels are OK and the left speaker woofer too .

I use JPS bi wire cable , so i disconnected the bass wires of the speaker whith the distortion sound - and then i could hear the music fine ( 1 speaker full scale , and the other with the panel only ) . so i assume that the woofer was damaged .

Can someone advise if such simptom may be a fault with the internal speaker cross over ?

Thanks

Roli

Roli,

Pretty sure you blew the driver. Contact ML for a replacement and be careful with the volume.

When I had my Aerius's and the SL3's, I did the same thing.

You'll know for sure when you can access the driver and push the center in. If you hear a scraping sound, then that's the issue.

If you want to be sure before ordering the driver, contact ML and get instructions on how the access the driver. Should not be a big deal to fix and you can do it at home. No need to ship the speaker back.

GG

Last edited:
Back