MartinLogin Motion 12 Good Upgrade From Infinity Beta 50?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCJR

Reaction score
I'm okay with the Infinity speakers, but there is a sale on NewEgg for the Motion 12's. Would the ML Motion 12's be a significant upgrade? Thanks.

I'm okay with the Infinity speakers, but there is a sale on NewEgg for the Motion 12's. Would the ML Motion 12's be a significant upgrade? Thanks.

I just upgraded from the Infinity Beta 50s to the Martin Logan 12s, so I think I can speak directly to this.

I love my Infinity Beta 50s! Mated to a good amplifier, the sonic impact from the dual 8" woofers is tremendous. Overall. I think that these are some of the most balanced full-range speakers at anywhere near their price point, so I think the Beta 50s are quite special in that they represent an incredible value. In fact, I still have them and I'm not sure yet whether I can bring myself to sell them, or whether I should hold on to them.

Nevertheless, the Martin Logan Motion 12s are a significant upgrade. Most astoundingly, their dipole midrange and folded motion tweeter give them the sound stage and imaging of magneplanar or electrostatic speakers! Digressing somewhat, this leads me to suspect that Martin Logan discontinued this design so quickly precisely because it risked cannibalizing sales of their more expensive electrostatic speakers -- if you notice, none of the new Motion series speakers feature the dipole design, nor IMHO do they exhibit the same level of sound stage or imaging. In the lower frequencies, the Motion 12's boxed 6.5" woofers are a bit more articulate than the Beta 50s, but I feel that they do not quite have the sonic impact of the Beta 50s in this frequency region. Therefore, I am augmenting the Motion 12s with a Martin Logan Abyss subwoofer to provide more lower frequency sonic impact. On the whole, the Motion 12s are also quite special because they represent the best of both worlds (the dynamic speaker world and the magneplanar/electrostatic speaker world), and at an incredible value!

I hope this provides the clarification you sought. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back