Martin Logan vs Final Sound?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is critical to the discussion to point out that I believe Jtwrace is a dealer of Finals.

This isn't to imply he isn't being above the board, or honest in his opinion (I think he is a man of integrity) but that it hasn't been mentioned in the thread, and is of material value to the discussion.

-Allen

Very good point...though also important to note is that he got into audio retail (as a side job) BECAUSE of how he felt about the finals... (and has only started doing it over the past couple of months)

So, he's an enthusiast first, and retailer second....at least that's my impression based on how I saw things develop with it all.

That's also why I've chimed in. I've been friends with Jason since I bought my Quest Zs from him, but have nothing else to gain by saying anything good about the finals...and certainly wouldn't have bought them (and taken a loss on the Quests) if I didn't like them a lot more.

Just my 2 cents, because I know how the idea that someone is a dealer can affect people's impression of their opinion...and it shouldn't in this case, because of the order of events.

Last edited:
And I stick by my original comment that if you love the Finals, you probably won't love the ML's and vice versa. Same with Quads, Magnepans and Apogees. They all have a distinct sound that is more appealing to one person or another, I really don't feel that there is a "Best" here...

If there was, the other mfrs would have fallen by the wayside long ago.

And I stick by my original comment that if you love the Finals, you probably won't love the ML's and vice versa. Same with Quads, Magnepans and Apogees. They all have a distinct sound that is more appealing to one person or another, I really don't feel that there is a "Best" here...

If there was, the other mfrs would have fallen by the wayside long ago.

Agreed 100% - Though I still like MLs much better than most other speakers :)

Last edited:
I never wanted to buy Summits. I had my heart set on a brand new pair of Klipschorns - trading my 1987 models in. But my dealer, thank goodness, spent a lot of time with me steering towards a more modern and coherent sound. I auditioned lots of speakers (including new Quads, Sophias, B&W, Avantgarde Uno's and Duo's, etc). I kept coming back to the Summits, despite the fact I thought they looked insipid.

Every speaker has compromises. Some more than others. I have learnt not to look at loudspeaker design philosophy - i.e. electrostatic, horn, dynamic, or a variation of one or the other - but how they sound.

I think Gayle Martin Sanders and Ron Logan Sutherland adopted a similar philosophy. That's why they took two different design philosophies (three now with the active bass modules featured in the Summit and Vantage) and merged them into probably the best (low cost) high end loudspeaker system available on the market today.

Those that choose other loudspeaker brands do so with my blessing. Just let me enjoy my choice with the quiet satisfaction that Martin Logan's competitors are still recovering from the knockout punch delivered by the coronation of the Summit! :bowdown:

Last edited:
As one of the lucky one's going to RMAF this weekend, I fully expect to hear some systems that will knock my socks off. Unfortunately, neither ML nor Final are demo'ing at this show, so I'll probably come away lusting after the latest Beveridge or Apogee/Perigee Acoustics lines! Who knows, I might come home ready to put my Summits on A'gon (gawd, I hope not). :D

final speakers

hello

can someone tell me about the maintenance of the final 1000

i am thinking of buying one pair as second hand but the company who makes them is out of business

so please tell me what kind of parts should i check well before buying this beautiful speakers

i heard the membrane is fragile but also the electronic can go wrong with the time

does someone has any experience with the final

last thing : i have the choice between a final 700 and a 1000

is there a big difference between the 2
which one to pick up when they are almost the same price

thanks

chris

thanks PartTimeJedi for your answer

ok so no major problem with the final ??

most probably the clx will be better but first i have also a very small room 20 m2 and the budget would be 3 times the final
in my research i would like to compare also the final with the duevel and mbl both from germany but the budget of the mbl....

have a nice week

chris

Chris,

I would not assume that you will have no "major problems" with the Final product based on the posts on this site.

The good news is that there's apparently a company that can repair the product if you have issues. And I would contact them if you are seriously considering purchasing the product to determine what services they provide.

Best thing to do is go listen to the speakers you wish to buy.

Also, I noticed your post on the CLX Art thread regarding Jason.

Try sending a Private Message to jtwrace (Jason) using the User CP tool above.

GG

Last edited:
true sorry for polutting the other forum
can i erase this post then
sorry i am not too familiar witht the forums
have a nice week

chris

true sorry for polutting the other forum
can i erase this post then
sorry i am not too familiar witht the forums
have a nice week

chris

I've removed your post from the other thread. ;)

My advice is this: If you like the way they sound and they can still get serviced, which it sounds like they can, buy them and enjoy.

Didn't Final Sound shut down operations?

Yes it did about a year ago, it was not an issue with the 2 channel speakers which they had been producing for some years, it was moving into the AV electronics market with new product where they shipped allot of product to USA and had to recall all the AV electronics product due to some regulation issues. The impact financially was too much for the business to handle.
I gained this from the distributor at the time.

Last edited:
thank you all

i will make an appointment may be next week with the office in amsterdam to listen to the final

again thanks a lot for this information about the amsterdam adress

have a nice week end

chris

Back