Martin Logan Three-Center Channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I recently saw a demonstration of the Magnepan so-called Tri-Center channel which features a standard center speaker flanked by two vertical panels, triamplified from the center channel of a processor. The sound-staging was pretty amazing and dimensional. I was wondering if any ML owner has tried a similar experiment with 3 matching speakers, like 3 Stages. The idea is getting a larger radiating area that is a closer match for typical main front left and right speakers. Any thoughts from the group?

Hola Babydoc... yes, I had tried a lot of great combinations, using 3 stages and also 3 Motif. All what I got was more presence, but same quality sound as having only one Stage or Motif. Mr. Johnathan did something better, judging by his reports, but I never had the chance to listen his. Mr Gary, another CLXs user, did try to build with the aid of the ML team, and he dicided to use a phantom (no center channel speaker) at front. There are many possibilities... The source amplifier that I used for this trial, was an Anthem Statement A5. I had a lot of fun, but decided that the sound coming from one Stage was just enough in the room that I was. The room size was 22'X 14'. Nice room filled with Cristobal wood. Happy listening.

I would love to hear the Magnepan setup you describe. I have stacked Theaters on a Sound Anchors stand because I wanted more panel, but this seems like a much better idea. My dream is to have two pair of clx or Sound Labs as fronts someday.

I would love to hear the Magnepan setup you describe. I have stacked Theaters on a Sound Anchors stand because I wanted more panel, but this seems like a much better idea. My dream is to have two pair of clx or Sound Labs as fronts someday.

One of my friends has this set up. You can see it at the Magnepan website. There is logic to increasing the center channel area and I am still debating about going that route in spite of Roberto's reservations. I am holding off until I can get some word on the status of the new Lexicon MP-20 surround processor or its replacement since I will need to share three speakers on a center channel output. My theory, and there is certainly support from the Magnepan tri-center system is that a larger radiating area will give a more dimensional image. This is usually not a problem for folks with smaller front speakers or with 5 matched speakers (probably 90+% of all home theater systems) but if you have very large panels (like CLX's) there is some room for considering this set up.

Hola Babydoc... yes, I had tried a lot of great combinations, using 3 stages and also 3 Motif. All what I got was more presence, but same quality sound as having only one Stage or Motif. Mr. Johnathan did something better, judging by his reports, but I never had the chance to listen his. Mr Gary, another CLXs user, did try to build with the aid of the ML team, and he dicided to use a phantom (no center channel speaker) at front. There are many possibilities... The source amplifier that I used for this trial, was an Anthem Statement A5. I had a lot of fun, but decided that the sound coming from one Stage was just enough in the room that I was. The room size was 22'X 14'. Nice room filled with Cristobal wood. Happy listening.
Hi Roberto,
Could you send a photo of your room set up since it is very close to the size of mine.
Regards
Lawrence

I'm running a pair of Magnepan MMG's behind an acoustically transparent screen for center channel duty. Center channel out from the Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro drives two channels of an Outlaw 7125 via an RCA phono y-cable (I'm just using 5.1 so have two spare power amps in the Outlaw). L-R speakers are another pair of MMG's. Sounds very realistic, detailed, nice wide and balanced soundstage. Considered doing this with Martin Logan Electrostatics but unfortunately would get pin points of reflection off the shiny curved electrostatic membrane through the AT screen (got that with my previous NHT speakers behind the screen, although was able to mask the curved shiny parts).

I agree with you about improving the center channel via more panel.

I am trying to find a metal worker who would make stands that would allow me to spin a clsIIz ninety degrees and hold it in place with some adjustability so that I can dial it in using the stand.

I am still looking for that, but in the meantime I purchased another Theater I to go with my Theater. I find the Theater is a better speaker when you use an after market power cord. I chose the Dominus Ferox with Oyaide 004 ends in an effort to get more of that lower frequency. The price of the power cord is steep and I have not gone about replacing the Theater I, so maybe it is not that much of a difference.

Anyway, this stopgap measure really made a difference in presentation so I have to agree with you that a bigger panel is much better for the center channel. A friend on mine who loves single driver speakers and concentric driver speakers like Tannoy said he could not notice any comb filtering on the pair. I separate the Theaters with Symposium couplers and they sit on a pair of Sound Anchors “ADJUSTABLE SPEAKER STANDS FOR BEHIND YOUR MIXING CONSOLE” .

I use Valhalla bi wire ends to present a two ohm load to my Krell 350mcx amp and that is not a problem for the amp.
P1030641-2.jpg

P1030643-2.jpg

Hola. You have to be careful with the impedance. Remember that you are using the same amp to drive them. It is better if you use a stereo amplifier, with only one channel connected to one speaker, and use a RCA Y to feed the same signal to both channels of the stereo amp. Please, tell us your findigs! Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,

I have ready your posts for years and you have provided me with lots of inspiration and knowledge. You are one of the few I could name that kept me from trading in my clsIIz because they are so transparent and made the gear I was using at the time seem like junk.

I use Valhalla bi-wire speaker cables to present a two ohm load to my Krell 350mcx monoblock amp and that is not a problem for the amp. So, I guess I am lucky. I think it is a higher current amplifier and at 2 ohms is capable of ~ 1400 watts. It is plugged into a 30 amp dedicated circuit. I use a center channel feed with a Valhalla xlr. I hope this helps explain things better. Regards

Hola again Duke, and thank you so much for your kind words. As you do know, I love to help. Just think of this: 2 ohms! Almost a short circuit. Very difficult load for any amplifier, even that this amp can handle it. Watch for a high temperature of the heat sinks of your Krell amp. But, I know how do you are now, with those center channel jewels! Because you could use an in series connection, and have a resultant of an 8 ohm total load, very easy for your Krell. Perhaps, you will have less sound pressure level, but you can adjust that. Just playing safe! Happy listening.

Hola again Duke, and thank you so much for your kind words. As you do know, I love to help. Just think of this: 2 ohms! Almost a short circuit. Very difficult load for any amplifier, even that this amp can handle it. Watch for a high temperature of the heat sinks of your Krell amp. But, I know how do you are now, with those center channel jewels! Because you could use an in series connection, and have a resultant of an 8 ohm total load, very easy for your Krell. Perhaps, you will have less sound pressure level, but you can adjust that. Just playing safe! Happy listening.

Roberto, Duke is correct. The Krell amp can play down to 1 Ohm no problem at all - Krells can handle loads like this with now sweat! Yes they do get very hot but for Duke it is a great setup and a stereo amp is not needed in his case.

Back