Martin Logan EM-ESLs vs. Vistas. Similar Price, so what should I get?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unknownsou

Reaction score
This is sort of a repost since I already asked this in another thread, but I was hoping making a new thread would attract a couple more responses.

Basically, The EM-ESLs are $1100 each, and the Vistas are $1000 each, new. The Vistas are obviously an older model, but they have a bigger panel and aluminum woofers. That's kinda cool. But on the other hand, I've heard that the Vistas have some major reliability issues. Sure there's the warranty, but I don't want to have to deal with stuff breaking. That, and it's possible that the electronics in the EM-ESL might actually make for a better overall speaker. But maybe not. I don't know. So I need some help deciding what would be the overall better buy.

The electronics I'll be using are an Emotiva UMC-1 processor and an Emotiva XPA-2 amp.

I am curious where you heard about Vista problems?
Anything & everything electronic can fail, even if the the products cost hundreds of thousands of dollars I am talking thru technical experience. When a ML product fails almost everybody here gets involved.
The Ml people (company) jump on it in almost real time.
In some cases a replacement arrived next day to the door. :eek:
My answer to the sound issue is the Vista has more realistic vertical image size. :cool:

I am curious where you heard about Vista problems?
Anything & everything electronic can fail, even if the the products cost hundreds of thousands of dollars I am talking thru technical experience. When a ML product fails almost everybody here gets involved.
The Ml people (company) jump on it in almost real time.
In some cases a replacement arrived next day to the door. :eek:
My answer to the sound issue is the Vista has more realistic vertical image size. :cool:

There have been multiple threads about the Vista's woofer blowing on this forum, and I've heard similar reports on other forums, as well as some about some other parts of the speaker cracking.

I don't intend to crank these things as far as I possibly can, but being able to get relatively loud with rock music is essential... just to know I can.

My initial reaction is Vista because of the larger panel alone. For me I was going to buy the Vista over the EM-ESL, then the Theos came out so I went with that! Personally I have never heard of any issues with the Vista but then again I dont scour through the forums haha

There have been multiple threads about the Vista's woofer blowing on this forum, and I've heard similar reports on other forums, as well as some about some other parts of the speaker cracking.

I don't intend to crank these things as far as I possibly can, but being able to get relatively loud with rock music is essential... just to know I can.

I would be very careful with cranking up the volume with both Vista and EM. It's only 8" driver in both models, although different types. Since my last woofer change VISTAS has been doing fine, even though I haven't changed my listening habits. I would assume that larger panels on vista can handle dynamic material such as loud rock music better than EM.
I can't say I didn't enjoy listening to something "heavier" on Vista but it can sound "congested" at times. On the other hand it sounds beautifully on vocal, acoustical and small ensemble orchestra.
Plus I don't really believe in 90db of Vista sensitivity. It has to be lower than that. If you want crank it up a bit, prepare yourself for disappointment without right amplification. In my case Vista turned out to be more difficult to drive than Summit, even though the last one has bigger panel.

I would be very careful with cranking up the volume with both Vista and EM. It's only 8" driver in both models, although different types. Since my last woofer change VISTAS has been doing fine, even though I haven't changed my listening habits. I would assume that larger panels on vista can handle dynamic material such as loud rock music better than EM.
I can't say I didn't enjoy listening to something "heavier" on Vista but it can sound "congested" at times. On the other hand it sounds beautifully on vocal, acoustical and small ensemble orchestra.
Plus I don't really believe in 90db of Vista sensitivity. It has to be lower than that. If you want crank it up a bit, prepare yourself for disappointment without right amplification. In my case Vista turned out to be more difficult to drive than Summit, even though the last one has bigger panel.

Hmm... so do you think adding a sub (which I'd planned to do a few months down the road) would alleviate some of those potential issues?

Adding a sub to the Vista's will definitely enhance them.. I'm using a Grotto i with mine and love it.
I do agree that the Vista's require good amplification to get the best out of them.. that's probably the next move with mine so I'm looking for a great integrated with HT bypass.. McIntosh MA6600 is a few years away for me.
Not sure about the Vista's sounding congested. I listen to a lot of retro 80's, Enigma, old rock, some newer stuff and never felt that the sound was congested. I do think that the there could be better dynamics but I think thats an amp issue on my side. Turned up, they're amazing.. they go louder that I can handle and thats at 100wpc.
Good luck.. whichever way yo go, you'll be delighted!

Last edited:
Hmm...

yeah, looks like I'm going with the Vistas. Just sounds like it's the better speaker. And I don't think that my listening habits are going to be an issue, since I'm much more conservative with the volume than most, and the room isn't big enough to really justify cranking the volume up all that high.

Kinda weird to have my decision made... been planning this new setup out for months.

Vista

Agree with Mickey I am using stereo subs with the Vistas in a 12.5X30 room never had a issue with volume, I am not a headbanger....;)

For the record the EM-ESL is a phenomenal speaker! But the bigger panel is just that much better haha and there is something about having that bigger speaker in your room that feels better hahaha

Bigger panel and aluminium woofer works for me every time.

Well, I placed the order a couple days ago, so now, it's time for the waiting game. Which is excruciating. I'm just looking at this processor and amp, sitting all alone. It's kind of sad.

No other speakers around? Jus to check it out?

I've got my SVS SBS-01 speakers (which is what I'm upgrading from...) sitting around, but that's a waste! I'm just going to put everything together at once and hope the results are good.

I dunno if this happens with anyone else, but I enter a pessimism phase while I'm waiting for new hardware to arrive. I'm kinda thinking "this'll probably be good, but not that good." Naturally, I like it when I receive said hardware and am blown away. Hoping that's the case here, since I'm a law student and would hate to spend my meager disposable income on disappointment.

Last edited:
I had that painful feeling of waiting for my new Vistas recently too. I ordered on dec 17 hoping to get them before the new year to set them up for new year party and play with them during my time off. But they didn't arrive till Jan 11. :(. Just awful. Btw, good decision on getting the Vistas. I auditioned the EM ESL at Magnolia and the Vista at Frys and preferred the Vista better. The EM sound a bit distorted/congested when played loud. Maybe partly b/c the receiver driving them, some mid level pioneer/denon. But the vistas I auditioned were also driven by an Onkyo 1007 and they didn't sound like that at high volume.

Back