Martin Logan CLX Hi-Fi+ 2008 Awards Clear Winner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great sound WITHIN it's limits, though. It surely won't play that loud without stress, or is that not the case, Miljac?

Some of you guys need to come out here when I get the CJ 275 watt tube monos after CES. That should be pretty exciting...

I'm going to be trying these speakers with every amp we can get our hands on.

Some of you guys need to come out here when I get the CJ 275 watt tube monos after CES. That should be pretty exciting...

I'm going to be trying these speakers with every amp we can get our hands on.

Is this a new product? Interestingly, it seems to me, CJ was never in the big tube market like vtl, arc, manley, etc... I guess you need customers with big, dedicated rooms.

I wonder how the new $140K 30 watt Lamm would do with the speakers... Any chance getting these?

Is this a new product? Interestingly, it seems to me, CJ was never in the big tube market like vtl, arc, manley, etc... I guess you need customers with big, dedicated rooms.

I wonder how the new $140K 30 watt Lamm would do with the speakers... Any chance getting these?

CJ has always been huge in the tube market. 30 watts isn't enough for the CLX as far as I'm concerned. I like power....

CJ has always been huge in the tube market. 30 watts isn't enough for the CLX as far as I'm concerned. I like power....

I like power also for stats. The Mark Michelson from Soundstage ran Wilson Alexandrias with the Lamm and said it was glorious...

Wasn't the last CJ tube monoblock only 140 wpc? 275 wpc seems like a big jump in power compared to previous products and whole new market segment.

The CJ Premier 8 monos pumped out 275 Watts each. The new CJ LP 275 puts out 275 WPC. The premier 8 are monsters mind you nothing like the power you get from a VTL 600 but power is not everything. I have my eye on a set of CJ Premer 12s (140 WPC) monos to bi-amp my Monoliths.

I can state for a fact that my CJ Premier 140 has PLENTY of power to adequately drive my Ascents, although it sounds even better when you biamp the woofers with solid state and let the CJ just handle the panels. Of course, having said that, I currently have the Pass Labs X-350.5 on the Ascents and absolutely love the sound.

The CJ Premier 8 monos pumped out 275 Watts each. The new CJ LP 275 puts out 275 WPC. The premier 8 are monsters mind you nothing like the power you get from a VTL 600 but power is not everything. I have my eye on a set of CJ Premer 12s (140 WPC) monos to bi-amp my Monoliths.

Cherian,

Please let me know when you get them. I will be knocking on your door.

Best regards,
David

I like power also for stats. The Mark Michelson from Soundstage ran Wilson Alexandrias with the Lamm and said it was glorious...

Wasn't the last CJ tube monoblock only 140 wpc? 275 wpc seems like a big jump in power compared to previous products and whole new market segment.

Having spent a fair amount of time with the X-2, I personally liked Dave Wilson's big 600 watt VTL monos more. Depends on your room and system, but I've had a lot of small amps and my fair share of high powered ones, and personally, I'll take a well designed big amp any day of the week.

Just read the review, and it is the best one of the CLX I've come across. The writer managers to describe the speakers well without going through the usual reviewer's checklist.

Plus, he explains why the 56 Hz cutoff actually makes the bass better, in a way that I would not have wanted ML to make the cutoff any lower! That's good, non-superficial analysis.

One minor journalistic complaint.

The cover leads you to believe that the CLX is the clear winner of the 2008 Awards. "Awards 2008" is the main headline. "Clear Winner" is just the title of the article (an obvious pun of the speaker's looks), separate from the main title. In fact, they named the CLX just one of several winners.

The cover leads you to believe that the CLX is the clear winner of the 2008 Awards. "Awards 2008" is the main headline. "Clear Winner" is just the title of the article (an obvious pun of the speaker's looks), separate from the main title. In fact, they named the CLX just one of several winners.

Maybe you need to be English - it is a play on words. The CLX is clear. And it is a winner. Geddit:D?

Then again, it might not be! Ambiguity - such fun.

The actual title of the article itself is "The speaker they said they'd never build..."

Last edited:
Ambiguity - such fun.

OK, I'll grant that! :D
And you folks did invent cricket too :D

Seriously now...

How about the amps that they found matched best.. the Bernings. I've not been able to find out how much power they put out. Any clues?

Just read the review, and it is the best one of the CLX I've come across. The writer managers to describe the speakers well without going through the usual reviewer's checklist.

Plus, he explains why the 56 Hz cutoff actually makes the bass better, in a way that I would not have wanted ML to make the cutoff any lower! That's good, non-superficial analysis.

One minor journalistic complaint.

How many CLX reviews are out there?

I thought HiFi plus was the only one that's reviewed them so far...

We've got em scheduled for our Dec issue, due out about Dec 15 and they will probably come out in TAS in a month or so as well..

OK, I'll grant that! :D
And you folks did invent cricket too :D

Seriously now...

How about the amps that they found matched best.. the Bernings. I've not been able to find out how much power they put out. Any clues?

Cricket - great game to play (I used to really enjoy it - Golf is my bag now), terrible to watch, I think.

Anyway, from the links I supplied concerning recommended amps:

"Typical output power at onset of clipping: 8 ohms 220 W; 4 ohms 270W." These are OTLs, for those who don't know. That means no transformers. But they do cost £22,500 - which is the same as the CLX Anniv. here. They'll be peanuts to you guys, of course:)!

In the Berning review in the mag, it fails to state the output. Just a slight omission:D!

They are preferred over the C-J LP-M 275s. Sorry, C-J fans. Though I must qualify that it is not clear:D whether they were tried with the CLX. And it is only what one geezer thinks anyway... you might not agree!

Last edited:
Im sure those Berning amps are great with the right speaker.

OTL's are very speaker sensitive, but when you hit the right combination
it's magic, definitely.

However, you need to have all carefully matched output tubes, etc, etc.

Not for the faint of heart, more like a vintage Ferrari that you only take out on Sunday!

How many CLX reviews are out there?

I thought HiFi plus was the only one that's reviewed them so far...

High Fidelity (a swedish/danish magazine) has a very nice five page review in their no 7 issue.
My copy is in Swedish though...
Just a brief translation of the summary:

"In most areas the CLX plays on a level of quality I have never before experienced in my listening room. Yes, as I have ever experienced,
It's capability to play deep, super articulated bass in combination with an extremely open midrange/treble and an almost unlimited dynamic is nothing less than epoch-making...
...Belivieve me: Martin Logan CLX will beome a reference to which many speakers will be compared in the future"

Rather positive I would say;)

Tomorrow I am going down to my local Martin Logan supplier and have another listen to the CLX :music:

Super articulate, definitely, super deep, not in my room, but perhaps in a smaller room. However, with a Descent i, phenomenal combination!

enjoy!

Latest posts

Back