Martin Logan ..... "Bipolar" speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pneumonic

Reaction score
On page 15 of my CLSII owners manual it says, in part:

"Bipolar Speakers and Your Room

Martin Logan electrostatic loudspeakers are known as bipolar radiators ....."

This has been on my mind for some time now and Im curious ...... do the manuals of new ML's still refer to them as bipolar?

Thanks

No, they are dipoles, whose rear wave is opposite in polarity to that of the front wave, creating what's known as dipole cancellation which has increasing effects as frequency lowers--the reason why most ESLs are bass-shy. A bipole has both front and rear waves with the same polarity, such as a woofer in front and a woofer in the rear moving toward or away from each other simultaneously, not moving toward or away from the listener together as a dipole does.

Last edited:
No, they are dipoles, whose rear wave is opposite in polarity to that of the front wave, creating what's known as dipole cancellation which has increasing effects as frequency lowers--the reason why most ESLs are bass-shy. A bipole has both front and rear waves with the same polarity, such as a woofer in front and a woofer in the rear moving toward or away from each other simultaneously, not moving toward or away from the listener together as a dipole does.

Ooops. Sorry, Brian.

I see I left out a key word in my original post.

".... This has been on my mind for some time now and Im curious ...... do the manuals of new ML's still incorrectly refer to them as bipolar?

maybe it was a jab at their customer base lol probably just a typo maybe your manual is just special.

Back