Martin Logan Ascent Issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbranky

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ascents and one of the speakers is distorting at higher volumes. It also plays about 4 to 6db lower than the other speaker. I disconnected the speakers and switched them from right to left to take out all my components from being an issue and the problem remains with the same speaker. When playing at higher volumes (not ear-breaking but louder) you can see the clear panel vibrate a bit with louder passages. The red light is on.

Any ideas to fix this. I love these speakers!

When's the last time you vacuumed the panels?? I'd do that first... Leave them unplugged overnight and then vacuum both sides.. If your vac has a soft brush attachment, use that as well.

Hola...
My guess is that because you have weaker speaker, you are trying to listen at high level, and what is producing the distortion, is your amp. You are clipping the amp. Do not do that. You can burn your amp too.

My suggestion besides the recommendation from Tom, which it is very good to do it too, is giving a shower to the stat panels. I have revived from almost death, panels with very weak sound and after the washing procedure, they came back to life.

Here is the procedure. Your Ascents are about the same as the model that is use for the washing.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~t...n Logan Quest Stator Panel Shower Washing.pdf

Happy listening!

I have an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3. The specs are:

Power Output:
300 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; one channel driven.
550 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.2%; 4 Ohms; one channel driven.
300 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; two channels driven.
490 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 4 Ohms; two channels driven.
275 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; ALL THREE channels driven.

I'm wondering if these are 4 ohm speakers and the amp doesn't have specs for running all 3 channels with 2 of them at 4 ohms and my center channel at 8 ohms, could that be a problem. I called Emotiva and they said the different impedence loads should not be an issue. The volume difference is noticeable at all volume levels - even when low. When I say Loud, I'm in no way pushing these speakers beyond what they are capable of - just louder than average listening. The other speaker is fine at that level with no distortion or panel vibration. I switched sides (left to right) so that should rule out bad channel on the amp. I may try the bath idea.

Last edited:
I am curious why you haven't contacted service? they are happy to help and can guide your through a step by step procedure that can narrow down your issue. I am betting you will be told to swap the panel to the other speaker to isolate if it is a panel issue or a power supply issue. Given the age of these, there can be something up in either of those two. We service/support our older products so should be able to get you running. contact [email protected]. our products are made in modular fashion and to be repaired by non technical issues so you shouldn't have to move the speakers at all.

I am curious why you haven't contacted service? they are happy to help and can guide your through a step by step procedure that can narrow down your issue. I am betting you will be told to swap the panel to the other speaker to isolate if it is a panel issue or a power supply issue. Given the age of these, there can be something up in either of those two. We service/support our older products so should be able to get you running. contact [email protected]. our products are made in modular fashion and to be repaired by non technical issues so you shouldn't have to move the speakers at all.

Thank you. Will
contact support first.

Bob

I have an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3. The specs are:

Power Output:
300 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; one channel driven.
550 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.2%; 4 Ohms; one channel driven.
300 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; two channels driven.
490 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 4 Ohms; two channels driven.
275 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; ALL THREE channels driven.

I'm wondering if these are 4 ohm speakers and the amp doesn't have specs for running all 3 channels with 2 of them at 4 ohms and my center channel at 8 ohms, could that be a problem. I called Emotiva and they said the different impedence loads should not be an issue. The volume difference is noticeable at all volume levels - even when low. When I say Loud, I'm in no way pushing these speakers beyond what they are capable of - just louder than average listening. The other speaker is fine at that level with no distortion or panel vibration. I switched sides (left to right) so that should rule out bad channel on the amp. I may try the bath idea.

Hola danbranky,

Because you have weak stat panels, when you increase the volume, you might get to a point to make to clipp your amps. Remember this: when you are listening to a high level, to increase only 3 dB louder, you need to double your power...if you are getting let's say 90 dB SPL with your music and you are only using 50 Watts, for 3dB more, you need 100 watts, and if you need only 3 dB more, you need 200 watts!!! Your speakers at this moment are not giving their full potential. If you are hearing distortion, this is a clipping from your amps. If your speakers were bad, the distortion will be at low level too, not only at high level. Do not the to a point where you can listen distortion, even that you have that monster there! Your Emotiva is a big power amp.

It's your amp and your system, and I am opening my big mouth. Please excuse my dare!

Happy listening!

Back