Making lemonade from lemons, or at least CLS stands...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
last night i missed out on a set of stands here, and was a bit disgruntled until this morning when i dug out and dusted off my stand plans from last month.

now, don't tell my boss :cool: but i this morning had a whale of a time working on two different stand designs - heck i'm actually excited about this project again. here's the first one. the idea is to move the frame up and away from the stand so that the frame looks like it is hovering. the weight of the electronics won't be enough, so i'm going to have a block of stone in the base of the stand to keep things from bouncing too much.

on the way home i'm going to stop by the home reno place and get 6 glass blocks - this is exciting! the moral of the story is that one night's disappointment can become the next day's fun.

Attachments

• stands.jpg
    stands.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 229
Outstanding art rendering ZAP> I found that most of the designs for the CLS floating or not revolve around a Triangle opposing another triangle. Structurally this is tremendously strong. Wonder why girders are multiple triangles.;) If you lost out on Sound Anchors don't sweat it to bad. They are good for one thing. A boat Anchor ! It is a hideous design that solves the problem1/2 assed but kills the eye!

If you need any help or have any questions let me know. I think this will be another outstanding design for the CLS. The floating CLS by ZAP ........I love it !

Last edited:
Outstanding art rendering ZAP> I found that most of the designs for the CLS floating or not revolve around a Triangle opposing another triangle.

If you need any help or have any questions let me know. I think this will be another outstanding design for the CLS. The floating CLS by ZAP ........I love it !

yeah, placing each of those little stator holes was "this close" to being fun :)

i'll whip up the other design and post it too. it's a bit more traditional.

here are two and three. two is the same as one, but instead of a crossbrace, it has perf metal on the side. three is more of a single large triangle, but with supports behind to allow a piece of oak (walnut, cherry, what have you) placed below the frame. once could even use some lighting effects to put the Martin-Logan logo on this insert.

and the reno place closed at 4. sigh. glass blocks tomorrow

Attachments

• stands2.jpg
    stands2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 204
  • stands3.jpg
    stands3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 203
I like 3 best as it is the most stable. 1 and 2 provide a pivot point for some klutz leaning on the speaker from the back, tipping it.

I like #2 with weight hidden from sight! If you need a line on Perforated metal I can help !

hmmmm, martin logan style perf metal. that would be too cool. i was thinking of getting perf from the local metal mart, but it's not quite the same. hmmm.

Bernard, you are right, there is a risk of tipping with the setup like number 1, but it looks so cool. perhaps some flat iron coming forward as feet would help. hmmm.

looking at these, i think that the next problem is how to lengthen the cable that goes from electronics box to frame. it is pretty short. if i remove the box from the frame, it needs to be a lot longer, maybe 6 inches or so.

model 4...

i added a bit of a leg on the front for anti-tip which also let me pull the frames out a bit more. then i added grill on the front as well. i also made the view of the "behind stuff" more accurate to my intended design.

i'm not so sure that the grill is as attractive as i had hoped, although it is a way to hide any weight or gear that is under the electronics box. perhaps if i had the grill on the front only and left the sides open with the brace as in model 1.

Attachments

• stands4.jpg
    stands4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 157
Nice ZAP. What are you using to draw the plans with . The Perferated look . How do you get that ! I cant get it !

Nice ZAP. What are you using to draw the plans with . The Perferated look . How do you get that ! I cant get it !

i'm using MS Visio. to get the perf look i drew a big black square and then a single white dot on it. then i copied the dot so that i had two - and arranged them correctly beside each other. then i copied the two so that i had two rows of two, correctly offset.

four became eight, arranged. then 16, 32 .... and onwards. only 10 copy/pastes to get 1024 dots. finally being a binary math nerd paid off :)

Here's a thought, Zaphod - hang them from the ceiling! Depends on your ceiling, I suppose, and the bracket will need some thought, but it just might look very cool indeed... just a suggestion.

Could be a world first for CLSs...

Hey Lance, nice renderings, they all look good to me, assuming they all provide the structural integity your looking for, build the easiest !

Here's a thought, Zaphod - hang them from the ceiling! Depends on your ceiling, I suppose, and the bracket will need some thought, but it just might look very cool indeed... just a suggestion.

Could be a world first for CLSs...

two poles for each speaker, hard mounted floor and ceiling. CLS strapped on tight between them. never mind WAF, that's gotta have the lowest ZAF.

Well, I DID say suggestion... and you could get the wife to hold 'em up while you attached them to the poles. Er...:)

UMM wife ,,,,Poles ,,,, Music,,,,,,,,,,;);)This is the patent C.A.P CLS Pole Stand. Where you can enjoy 2 of life's finest activities all at once !:D

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 135
man, it's still 2 months until i'm married and i'm already getting in trouble with my wife. :D

UMM wife ,,,,Poles ,,,, Music,,,,,,,,,,;);)This is the patent C.A.P CLS Pole Stand. Where you can enjoy 2 of life's finest activities all at once !:D

Are you beginning to see it's merits, now Zaphod? And look at how cool that CLS looks - the wife would have some REAL competition...:D

Back