Maggies in the Main Room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey... what's wrong with a electrostatic woofer? ;)

Seriously... why should a ribbon or planar magnetic LF driver be any more capable than that of a stat? Maybe a stat's throw-range (i.e. physical excursion) is more limited than the others? I've never looked into it, but have wondered why no-one's tackled a 20Hz stat woofer, whereas mag/ribbon implementations with good LF extension are a dime a dozen (or at least that's all they're really worth ;) )

I effectively raised a thread on this on another forum. I haven't had a satisfactory answer. Mr Sanders isn't convinced an ESL can do it from his papers. The CLX doesn't go below 60Hz +/- 3DB. It's huge, yet the smaller Duetta Sig gets pretty close to 25Hz. Why does the Duetta do so well in this area? Or the Maggies?

Is it to do with magnetic force/foil driving current allowing greater distance between the panel and the magnet array? Aps are single ended (driven from one side only) but that shouldn't make too much difference.

But what about Soundlab? Do they really reach 25Hz +/- 3DB? They are huge, but they seem to use an array of smallish cells.

Someone step in an explain what is going on please???:confused::confused:

Anyway, due to the similar nature of ESL/ribbon drivers, I think an ESL will blend with a ribbon bass unit and sound as though it is cut from the same cloth(ish). More so than with a dynamic drive unit, I would think.

Last edited:
Back