Maggies in the Main Room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertawillisjr

Reaction score
Well everyone I have given my venerable Quests to one of my son-in-laws and have a set of Maggie 1.7's in the main room. I am in the process of burn-in but I am very, very impressed. Missing some of the dynamics of that 12" woofer but I am really happy. This is one speaker that should be on everyone's short list.

I had all but ordered the Summit X but read Tonepub's brief comparison between the 1.7's and Martin Logans in general (edit.. Please see below), took a road trip to listen to both in the same store and decided to save $11k and get the Maggies. The savings will go to a grand child's college expenses.

I still have my Stylos (an underappreciated speaker) so I'll drop around from time to time. It has been a great experience.

Take care,

Bob Willis

*******From TonePub*****

The biggest diff between the Magnepans and the ML's featuring woofers is the texture of the mid bass. My impression has always been that the ML's have more punch thanks to the cone, and while the cone/panel integration is the best I've heard, when you hear a Magnepan, you can hear more coherence in lower mids/upper bass.

However, the ML's always have the edge to me with everything from 500hz on up because again there is no crossover in the ML, while the Magnepan is either a 2 or 3 way design, depending on the model you choose.

Also, the Magnepans have more of a diffuse sound to me where the ML's seem to do a bit better job at pinpoint imaging and perhaps extremely low level detail. Though since I've had my 1.6's modded by the Skiing Ninja with upgraded crossover components, the low level detail has improved dramatically.

They are both excellent in a "would you prefer a Mercedes E500 or a BMW 545i" kind of thing, but they are different.

Magnepan owners feel free to jump in and tell me if you hear what I'm hearing...

Last edited:
Magnepan owners feel free to jump in and tell me if you hear what I'm hearing...[/QUOTE said:
HI Bob,

I've had a fair amount of experience with Maggies... started with Tympany 1Ds back in the 80s... amazing but man do they need many cubic yards of space to breath properly. I then toyed with a number of dynamic speakers until I came across a great deal on a pair of 3.6r. Really serious speakers (I bought the Mye stands for mine as well). I was driving them with Pass amps and I was, at the time, thrilled with their performance. I agree with your impressions comparing the more revealing nature of the MLs versus the Maggies, as well as image specificity. I loved the maggies, but those two issues plagued my constantly during playback... so, after about a year, I sold them on Agon. I now have a set of MG12s at our camp (lakehouse in southern maine - but local vernacular is "camp"). Anyway, I love the MG12s as well for what they do... which is sound entirely un-box-like. Fairly weak in the lowest register, but still a lovely sonic image all in all (pic below). I hadn't even heard of the 1.7 model until reading your post. I guess they've played around with the QR crossover point or something? I will say that if they sound even remotely as accurate as the true ribbon tweeter in the 3.6r, then they must be wonderful.

Enjoy the 1.7s!

Attachments

• Jan 2007 Lumix FX3 test shots 022.jpg
    Jan 2007 Lumix FX3 test shots 022.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,336
Sweet speakers for sure Robert, BTW, nice idea for the grandchildrens education !

Last edited:
I only heard Maggies at the dealer, but I always thought the 3.6s were a
fantastic speaker. I bought the Spires because of their smaller size,
efficiency, and newer technology. However, i thought the Maggies
sounded more life-like and were more impressive overall. I don't
know how they wear long term in your home but they seemed
pretty extraordinary. I now own PSB Synchrony Ones and am
very happy with them. Nice small footprint, electrostatic type clarity
and resolution...very accurate and musical. But i will check out the
Maggies if they roll out a 3.7. Their size and power requirements may
still prevent me from taking the plunge.

Last edited:
Best qualities of each

Well everyone I have given my venerable Quests to one of my son-in-laws and have a set of Maggie 1.7's in the main room. I am in the process of burn-in but I am very, very impressed. Missing some of the dynamics of that 12" woofer but I am really happy. This is one speaker that should be on everyone's short list.

I had all but ordered the Summit X but read Tonepub's brief comparison between the 1.7's and Martin Logans in general (edit.. Please see below), took a road trip to listen to both in the same store and decided to save $11k and get the Maggies. The savings will go to a grand child's college expenses.

I still have my Stylos (an underappreciated speaker) so I'll drop around from time to time. It has been a great experience.

Take care,

Bob Willis

*******From TonePub*****

The biggest diff between the Magnepans and the ML's featuring woofers is the texture of the mid bass. My impression has always been that the ML's have more punch thanks to the cone, and while the cone/panel integration is the best I've heard, when you hear a Magnepan, you can hear more coherence in lower mids/upper bass.

However, the ML's always have the edge to me with everything from 500hz on up because again there is no crossover in the ML, while the Magnepan is either a 2 or 3 way design, depending on the model you choose.

Also, the Magnepans have more of a diffuse sound to me where the ML's seem to do a bit better job at pinpoint imaging and perhaps extremely low level detail. Though since I've had my 1.6's modded by the Skiing Ninja with upgraded crossover components, the low level detail has improved dramatically.

They are both excellent in a "would you prefer a Mercedes E500 or a BMW 545i" kind of thing, but they are different.

Magnepan owners feel free to jump in and tell me if you hear what I'm hearing...

I combine the best qualities of each speaker system.
Martin Logan Summits from 270 hz on up and Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels down to below 30 hz. Summits have wonderful imaging (no xovers)
and great low level detail and the Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels have real impact, definition, and a wide soundstage. IMG_0954.jpg

Last edited:
George, did you leave us or just stop commenting and lurk full time??

Hi Jim,

Seems a bit edgy, eh.

I think we all should strive to play nice and not become like the AA site. ;)

GG

George, did you leave us or just stop commenting and lurk full time??

Not that it matters, but did not do much lurking. A peak now and then, every couple months?

I do from time to time reference old threads if a similar topic pops up elsewhere.

I'm not back/back, just saying hello if it suits me. You can never go back.

What impressed me about the 1.7's is the natural bass, the extended highs and how it all fits together. I would choose it over any box speaker, but there is a hint of compression in the midrange, but only compared to stats. It was never wimpy, faded or recessed if I recall correctly, gotta give it credit.

Hi Gordan!

Sorry if that came off wrong or sounded edgy. I enjoyed Georges posts and missed them when he stopped. I really like his outside the box efforts at room treatments too. Not edgy just curious.

Just a thought:
I own the Magnepan 1.7 speakers & Martin Logan Vantage speakers. I would match performance of the Magnepan 1.7 speakers when you add a JL audio f110 / f112 sub with any speaker I heard up to around $10,000. You add a quality sub to Magnepan 1.7 speakers with good results just like CLX.
JMHO.
Jim

Just a thought:
I own the Magnepan 1.7 speakers & Martin Logan Vantage speakers. I would match performance of the Magnepan 1.7 speakers when you add a JL audio f110 / f112 sub with any speaker I heard up to around $10,000. You add a quality sub to Magnepan 1.7 speakers with good results just like CLX.
JMHO.
Jim

So Jim - since you have two very nice speakers in your place - how about giving the differences between the Vantage & 1.7 -- 1st without the sub - then with the sub.... what does one do better than the other etc....?

So Jim - since you have two very nice speakers in your place - how about giving the differences between the Vantage & 1.7 -- 1st without the sub - then with the sub.... what does one do better than the other etc....?
The Vantages are more transparent with much lower bass response. It depends on what type of music you like but for me I need more bass than the Magnepan 1.7 speaker supply. The Magnepan 1.7 bass tone I prefer but it does not go low enough for the music I like. ....
But add a JL Audio F110 to the Magnepan 1.7:
The ML Vantages are more transparent but I prefer the smoothness the Magnepan 1.7 with a JL Audio f110 sub. The Magnepan 1.7 speakers with JL Audio f110 sub blends so perfectly. Solid bass response with no overhang. This combination is more musical to my ears, in my room.
JMHO

Last edited:
I combine the best qualities of each speaker system.
Martin Logan Summits from 270 hz on up and Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels down to below 30 hz. Summits have wonderful imaging (no xovers)
and great low level detail and the Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels have real impact, definition, and a wide soundstage. View attachment 13465

I think you hit on it....sort of a CLX lite...I thought about this when I was comparing the Request to the Maggie 3.6 side by side. The bass/midbass was so much more defined and well integrated on the Maggie where the e-panel in the Request was much more transparent and seamless above about 200hz. I often thought it might be fun(but$$$) to find some old Maggies and use them for low end duty next to my CLSZ2.

I've been hinting at this for ages now.

ML - think about it. There's potential for a killer speaker here i.e. create ESL/ribbon hybrids. I think they'll work well. I know that is a radical move with lots to consider, but it is worth some thinking about. Possibly naive to assume you haven't already, I guess...

I've been hinting at this for ages now.

ML - think about it. There's potential for a killer speaker here i.e. create ESL/ribbon hybrids. I think they'll work well. I know that is a radical move with lots to consider, but it is worth some thinking about. Possibly naive to assume you haven't already, I guess...

Hey... what's wrong with a electrostatic woofer? ;)

Seriously... why should a ribbon or planar magnetic LF driver be any more capable than that of a stat? Maybe a stat's throw-range (i.e. physical excursion) is more limited than the others? I've never looked into it, but have wondered why no-one's tackled a 20Hz stat woofer, whereas mag/ribbon implementations with good LF extension are a dime a dozen (or at least that's all they're really worth ;) )

Back