Looking for Amp info

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petden

Reaction score
So I have been looking into many different types of amps trying to see which is better and such and I think I have found one that I like. I can get the Yamaha DSP Z7 for less than $1300. Which is quite a nice price as it is usually ~2500. I currently have a RXV1800.

I just wanted to know what should I be looking for in an amp. I have mostly basic knowledge about amps so maybe some websites or anything would help. My goal is to purchase some Vista's (or higher) in the near future, if not for the family room, then for a theatre room.

Thank you.

There's a few things to consider such as amplifier topology (class A, class AB, etc). Supposedly class A amps are the best (and the most expensive) since they reproduce the signal with the least amount of distortion. I want to say that class AB amps are more efficient from a power consumption standpoint (cheaper to run and probably don't get as hot) but they do not produce the signal as clean vs the class A amp.

Really this boils down to the sound coming from the amplifier. I've heard many kinds of amps (class A, AB, D and so on) over the years and while each has it's own signature, one thing that stands out is how much the technology has improved over the years!

If you are going to purchase electrostatic speakers, one thing to keep an eye out for is the availability to deliver current when you need it. Amps from Pass, Plinius, Conrad Johnson, Sunfire/Carver, etc are very popular on this forum for that very reason. As I said before, it's not 100% required to have a high quality amp to satisfy your needs. You could be very happy with an integrated amp (receiver). If you are in a moderately sized room and listen to the speakers at a modest volume that may be all you need.

The Yamaha DSP Z7 is not technically an "amp." It is a receiver, which combines a preamp, surround processor, and multiple amps in one unit. Generally speaking, receivers do not have the power and current output of separate stereo amps and do not work as well with the high current needs of electrostatic speakers. For home theater duties, it may be fine. But if you are in to quality high fidelity audio listening, then you will probably want to consider separate amp / preamp combinations. Of course, you can always start with that, and then upgrade to separates later.

Technically if the A7 lacks a radio tuner its actually an integrated amp not a receiver but your point remains that very few receivers can do large ML's justice esp for music. A solid receiver like this one though will get you pretty close and would a solid choice for most situations. Its always that last 10 percent that gets expensive to achieve.

The Yamaha DSP Z7 is not technically an "amp." It is a receiver, which combines a preamp, surround processor, and multiple amps in one unit. Generally speaking, receivers do not have the power and current output of separate stereo amps and do not work as well with the high current needs of electrostatic speakers. For home theater duties, it may be fine. But if you are in to quality high fidelity audio listening, then you will probably want to consider separate amp / preamp combinations. Of course, you can always start with that, and then upgrade to separates later.

So essentially the DSP-Z7 would be like a high end HTIB if you were to make a comparison?

Also you guys are going to have to just hang in there if I ask a stupid question lol. Here goes. The DSP-Z7 has pre-amp outputs so what if I used the Z7 for now then later on run it to, say a denon AVP A1? Would that work and would that give you all or 90% of the recommended power/quality? or would there be a slightly cheaper and better alternative?

Again dont forget that I can get the Z7 for ~1300 which I know will do a decent job running them.

Are you talking about the Denon Pre-amp (AVP-A1HD). The AVP A1HDCD is the flagship denon receiver, so you are probably referring to the A1HD - the preamp. Are you wanting to use your current receiver as an amplifier and then get the A1HD as the pre-amp? I suppose you could do that if you wanted to. I am not sure how much, if at all, better it will sound.

As Rich pointed out, if you are seeking better overall sound for conventional 2 channel listening, going with separate components may be the best choice. By separate components we mean a dedicated (usually non-receiver or integrated component) ampllifier coupled to a pre-amplifier of some sort. Either one (or both) could be tube (analog) or solid state so there's even more choices there.

It comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. If you listen to a mix of music and movies, going with a receiver (like what you have) could be the best option. If critical music listening is what you are after, consider using purchasing a separate amplifier to power the speakers and maybe use the your Z7 amp as the pre-amp and see how that sounds. I did the very same thing a few years back. I had a Yamaha integrated amp, and then I eventually bought a used Sunfire amplifier. I then made the Yamaha the pre-amp and it wasn't a bad combination. Down the line I sold the Yamaha and purchased a used hybrid pre-amp on audiogon.

If you give a little more insight into your listening tastes (music, movies, etc) and perhaps the room size this will help frame the discussion.

It's possible to use several combinations of equipment for both music and movie watching. Some of our members have a multichannel receiver they use for movies and when they listen to music, a switch is flipped and other components are used for that application. Again, lots of possibilities!

Erik

It would be going in a theatre room that I will build, or help build in my basement. The size would be about 18x14. It wont be the largest of rooms because of the setup down there but that will be big enough until we move, maybe into a bungalow where I can get something maybe like 25x20.

I like listening to music and once I get the theatre room built I will be spending more time listening to music, however the main focus would probably be movies. Music preferences range. I'm not very picky, as long as it's not country or Shania Twain :( I like hearing a crisp sound something that sounds the way it was created lol.

For movies I like action, comedy, and some drama's.

One more question how would you use the Z7 as a preamp? Would it just be the Pre Out's on the reciever and run that to a main amp?

Yup. I believe that is correct. That sounds similar to what I did with my old integrated amp and the sunfire amp.

Hi Petden,
Best of luck in your search.

It sounds like you can do pretty good with your choice as others have said. On another note don't discount an integrated as not being as good as separates as I have been that route many times over too many years.
I have had the Aragon's, Brystons,VT-100,Plinius as well as Sonic Frontiers pre as well as the Mark Levison REF-32 amoungst many other and with my Logans, the integrated has been the best to date I have had overall and I don't have their best as it is out of my range, just my opinion as well as others at my home that are audio nuts.

Regards,
Bob

Back