Looking at new Pre/Pro

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
Been thinking about replacing my main stream HT receiver with either an Arcam AVP-700 or something else. I always see great things said about the Meridian 568, but I have seen other models like the 568.2 etc. Also hearing one of the Meridians like the 568 before purchase is almost impossible.

I am looking to spend in the $1500-$2000 range, preferable closer to the $1500. I see the 568 for sale all the time for around the $1500 and wondered if it would be better than the Arcam models (AVP-700 or AVR-350).

I pre-out all my channels, so power is not an issue, hence my looking for a Pre/Pro without power as my main search.

Pre/Pro has to be able to do DTS (novies) and 5.1 audio (MCH Music), but other than that I am pretty open to models.

Models I have seen and get good talk are Arcam, Aragon, Cary, Meridian, Krell, Parasound and these also seem to pop up for sale on Audiogon - I do not mind used.

Any comments to assist me in my search?

Last edited:
Been thinking about replacing my main stream HT receiver with either an Arcam AVP-700 or something else. I always see great things said about the Meridian 568, but I have seen other models like the 568.2 etc. Also hearing one of the Meridians like the 568 before purchase is almost impossible.

I am looking to spend in the $1500-$2000 range, preferable closer to the $1500. I see the 568 for sale all the time for around the $1500 and wondered if it would be better than the Arcam models (AVP-700 or AVR-350).

I pre-out all my channels, so power is not an issue, hence my looking for a Pre/Pro without power as my main search.

Pre/Pro has to be able to do DTS (novies) and 5.1 audio (MCH Music), but other than that I am pretty open to models.

Models I have seen and get good talk are Arcam, Aragon, Cary, Meridian, Krell and these also seem to pop up for sale on Audiogon - I do not mind used.

B&K Ref 50 is pretty damn good for the money. Check it out.

B&K Ref 50 is pretty damn good for the money. Check it out.
I have heard B&K equipment many times, and each time it sounds very cold, sterile - not very musical. This has been my experience multiple times with B&K equipment and is why I did not mention it in my original post.

Dan

Last edited:
I have heard B&K stuff many times, and each time it sounds very cold and sterile. And note this has been multiple times and just once.

WOW! That's a first....I own B&K stuff and can't say anymore about it. I think for the money it's hard to beat. That's why there are many different manufacturers.

I have heard B&K stuff many times, and each time it sounds very cold, sterile - not very musical. This has been my experience multiple times with B&K equipment and is why I did not mention it in my original post.

Dan

Since you want the HT - I would suggest looking at the Sunfire pre. I have a TGIII. It has a direct pass thru for 2 channel or multi-channel - plus has all of the other bells and whistles. Since DTS/Dolby digital is a concern of yours - what about video? Do you need hdmi connections? The TGIII does not have hdmi - only the TGP-V does. But - there is a lot to look at out there- Good luck!!

Since you want the HT - I would suggest looking at the Sunfire pre. I have a TGIII. It has a direct pass thru for 2 channel or multi-channel - plus has all of the other bells and whistles. Since DTS/Dolby digital is a concern of yours - what about video? Do you need hdmi connections? The TGIII does not have hdmi - only the TGP-V does. But - there is a lot to look at out there- Good luck!!
Yeah, the HT is for the family and movies, so the need for Dolby/DTS is required.

Video, I can live with either Component or HDMI.

Music is more of a concern for me and the ability for MCH Music.

Once I am ready to make the move, I will try out some equipment at home to see how it compares. Just been doing a lot of reading and searching to see what is out there, what people think, reviews, etc. But ultimately I need to hear it before purchase to see what improvments I will be getting. With the Arcam stuff, I can audition the AVR-300 and 350 to see what they sound like, which should give me a good idea on the Arcam AVP-700. The Krell and Parasound and probably out of the budget, but you never know what may pop up used.

Dan

WOW! That's a first....
I have also heard and read the same feelings that I have from many others. The B&K is there, plays dynamically and has punch, but just does not bring you into the music. Hence my statement about cold, sterile, not involving.

But like you say each to their own, and good thing we have choices.

Dan

I have found the Sunfire to be fantastic for movies. The 'house sound' for the Sunfire would lean toward the warm side - which might be more to your liking. I compared the TGIII to a Wadia CD player hooked directly to an amp (i.e. no pre in the loop). Just a very slight diff between the two - which means that the sunfire does not add much coloration in direct path mode... I love it for 2 ch as well - but would have to really compare it closely to other things which I have not been able to do (except the Wadia).

I have found the Sunfire to be fantastic for movies. The 'house sound' for the Sunfire would lean toward the warm side - which might be more to your liking. I compared the TGIII to a Wadia CD player hooked directly to an amp (i.e. no pre in the loop). Just a very slight diff between the two - which means that the sunfire does not add much coloration in direct path mode... I love it for 2 ch as well - but would have to really compare it closely to other things which I have not been able to do (except the Wadia).
Thanks for the comparison as I have heard the Wadia players and like the sound of them very much - I just do not like their prices :) I see TGIII on audiogon all the time around my price/budget. Any experience with the Theater Grand Processor?? I see 5's on Audiogon, but they are usually priced in the mid $2k's.

Dan

Dan, add the Outlaw 990 to your list of products to look at. It is a lot of equipment for the $1099. Outlaw sells direct and has a 30 day money back guarantee. Great customer service also. On the Outlaw Saloon forum Gonk who other people have mentioned here has a comparison of features of 15-20 processors. Here is the address to his comparison of different pieces. http://www.prillaman.net/950_chart.html I have been very impressed with the versatility of the 990 and sound quality for HT.

Dan, add the Outlaw 990 to your list of products to look at. It is a lot of equipment for the $1099. Outlaw sells direct and has a 30 day money back guarantee. Great customer service also. On the Outlaw Saloon forum Gonk who other people have mentioned here has a comparison of features of 15-20 processors. Here is the address to his comparison of different pieces. http://www.prillaman.net/950_chart.html I have been very impressed with the versatility of the 990 and sound quality for HT.
Not sure how much better it would be than my my mainstream HT Receiver I already own. But as we know listening to it would be the deciding factor. There is also the same talk about the Emotiva products. Again both Internet order companies with 30 day trials.

I have Seen many posts about the Outlaw products and most have been very positive.

Feature comparison is ok for me but I really only need the Dolby/DTS for movies and MCH input and Pre-Outs for MCH audio playback. But the final decision will be the sound quality of audio playback for me again primarily for MCH audio.

Thanks for the suggesstion.

Dan

Need comparisons for recommended Pre/Pro

Thanks so far for all the recommendations.

When recommending a Pre/Pro please try to also state which other components you compared against, and why you choose the one you did.

Thanks,
Dan

Sad part about B & K Dan is, it's our "home town" product !

+11ty7 on that!

Models I have seen and get good talk are Arcam, Aragon, Cary, Meridian, Krell, Parasound and these also seem to pop up for sale on Audiogon - I do not mind used.

Dan, as a Meridian owner (568) I can help out here.

First, you will not find a more musical preamp for $1,500 out there. I've been auditioning the Meridian G series and Lexicon MC-12, and can not find a reason to trade out the 568 (at least in terms of sound quality)

The G series does sound a bit better, but not $5K better, so I'm waiting for a more compelling reason.

The real reason why a Meridian is THE pre-pro for music lovers is the TriField surround mode. With a good center channel, this rivals DVD-A for immersion and satisfaction.

The DTS/Dolby modes are superb, as Meridian hand-codes their versions and they pass (by wide margins reportedly) the THX standards. Some of the adjustments for DTS and DD are unique to their implementations. A very helpful DD setting is you can pick the ‘Mix mode’ to compensate for incorrectly flagged discs (you know, those where you can’t hear the dialog because its 10 dB to low), and you also pick different level of ‘compress’ to ensure dialog is intelligible even at low playback volumes.

So sonically, I would recommend the 568 without reservations.

On the other hand, the 568 lacks any form of video switching and does not have a multichannel input. This means you will wind up with external video switching (not to big a deal these days, as with all the changes, e.g HDMI, few of the high-end pre-pros in this price range have the latest / greatest.
I’ve always recommended a good scaler as the best option for video switching and gaining increased video quality.

For the 5.1 analog management, you would need something like the Sony TA-P9000 switcher preamp I use. But those are rare and go for near MSRP on the used market. There are a couple of other options there as well. This is probably the 568’s weakest link if you have a universal player or HD-DVD.

Of course the 568.2 had Meridian’s proprietary digital link to their 598 player for DVD- A signals, but that combo is usually around $4K on the used market. And, it does not address how to get multichannel from the HD/BluRay palyers into it either.

Bottom line, the 568 is superb for audio, weak on a couple of other items.

Dan, as a Meridian owner (568) I can help out here.
Jonathan...Thanks.

First, you will not find a more musical preamp for $1,500 out there. I've been auditioning the Meridian G series and Lexicon MC-12, and can not find a reason to trade out the 568 (at least in terms of sound quality). So sonically, I would recommend the 568 without reservations.
Everything I read about the Meridian reflects your exact sentiments. Great sound and a great processor

On the other hand, the 568 lacks any form of video switching and does not have a multichannel input.
Video is not a big thing with me. If I get a picture and it looks half-way decent, I am happy. I do not sit there and look for that pixel which is incorrect.

But in terms of the MCH Input, this is a deal breaker for me. I thoroughly enjoy listening to SACD Classical Music in MCH mode - that is when the MCH is done correctly - Pentatone and Telarc really seem to have their you know what together on that.

Of course the 568.2 had Meridian’s proprietary digital link to their 598 player for DVD- A signals, but that combo is usually around $4K on the used market. And, it does not address how to get multichannel from the HD/BluRay palyers into it either. Bottom line, the 568 is superb for audio, weak on a couple of other items.
I have seen the .2 model on their site, but again I did not see the ability for MCH input from a non-Meridian player. It appears as much as I would like to go the Meridian route, it may just be too expensive at this time.

Recently I have seen some of the other Pre/Pro's for sale on Audiogon for some decent prices - Parasound, Arcam to name a couple, but I need to hear them first before deciding on purchasing.

After getting a chance to listen, I may just find that spending the $2k or so just does not give me that much improvment in sound than I am already getting by Pre-Outing all speakers from the mainstream HT Reciever I currently use.

Dan

Last edited:
Back