Look what you made me do Tom !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I've owned motorcylces since I was twelve years old but sold my last bike , a Harley FLHT in Sept of '97. Well guess what I rented for the weekend to go on a little "putt" with my Bro-in-law !!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 237
Looks like the FLHX Street Glide!!

So Dave did we buy? or just rent?

I've always been partial to the Road Kings!

You'll need some Chrome and Black Leather Summits to go with the bike.:D

Looks like the FLHX Street Glide!!

So Dave did we buy? or just rent?

I've always been partial to the Road Kings!

You'll need some Chrome and Black Leather Summits to go with the bike.:D

Wayne, funny you said that !! The bike in the picture could be the poster bike for those Summitt's we saw on the tour or...... the other way around !!

Regarding this weekend, just renting, Fri noon till Monday noon. $125 for the first day, $75 a day thereafter, not to bad.

But If I were to own again, I agree with you 100%, FLHRS, Road King Custom, make mine Black Cherry Pearl !!

I also have a soft spot for a certian British Vertical Twin, Triumph - Speedmaster, cool bike in it's own right !!

I saw a ALL black Buell "Lightning" parked on the street yesterday that made me stop and look at it for a long time. It was all black and did not seem to have the overly high seat height that those bikes are known for.

I never thought of renting one before.

http://harley.aspit.com/index.php?main=203&sess=cc94f5339bbe8f6185bc6544a29a8433
2006_XB_12_S_black.jpg

I've ridden both the XB-12S and XB-12R at a demo ride at Barber. They're fine handling bikes and exactly one engine away fro being great machines. Fortunately for them they've just released info on a Rotax-engined 1125! :D

Man, that exhaust looks different... I wonder if it bottoms out in steep curves... GREAT looking bike.

A superb Bike weekend !!

Man 400 great miles over the weekend, went to the Pa Bikefest in Gettysburg on Sat, and Sun Shirley and I just cruised from 10am till dinner time. Weather was perfect, bike ran great. For those interested it was a 2007 Heritage Softail. My only complaint is that Harley has gone to a six speed and the gear spacing between first and second is too tall, other than that, perfect !

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 150
Man 400 great miles over the weekend, went to the Pa Bikefest in Gettysburg on Sat, and Sun Shirley and I just cruised from 10am till dinner time. Weather was perfect, bike ran great. For those interested it was a 2007 Heritage Softail. My only complaint is that Harley has gone to a six speed and the gear spacing between first and second is too tall, other than that, perfect !

Sounds like you had fun Dave. A few years back, a buddy of mine loaned me his '96 Heritage Softail for 3 months, as he had to go to Washington to take the helm for ROTC at a university there. The bike looked very similar to the bike in your picture, but I bet the technology was much worse, as the bike had the old "Evolution" engine. Anyway, my experience with that Harley has left me a little bit reticent regarding the marque. But hey, to each his own!

Criminy! Look at the size of the rotor on that front brake!
The do that so the wheel spokes just hold the bike up, they don't feel the torsional stress of braking. I.e. the braking force doesn't go through the hub. Because of that they can use a single rotor (the severe lack of "bhp" helps there, too) and lighter wheel spokes. Good idea, though probably more expensive than it's worth. And I question whether it'd work with the power outputs of any other open-class bikes. [Anything else with 1000 to 1200 cc displacement would have around 2½-3 times the power!]

I lay awake nights, lusting for one of these...

(Triumph Bonneville T-100)

--Richard

Attachments

• T100_005.jpg
    T100_005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 129
im rather partial to anything harley. do not own one (or any bike) myself, but my goal is with in a year after my 1st official job out of college (which at the rate im going now may be quite a while).

im rather jelous dave :bowdown:...in due time i supose...besides, there is no way i could afford the bike AND insurance AND audio/HT

oh, and i agree on the road king as a nice bike. and the fat boy, despites its gravitation towards female riders...what can i say, its a nice bike!

~greg

1983 V65 Magna

Here's my dream:

Honda's 1983 V65 Magna hit the street like a 600-pound chrome sledgehammer. Americans had built a long-term relationship with horsepower and high style on four wheels, but a motorcycle with acres of both was news. This was more than a new model. The V65 made big muscle look cool. Thus the power cruiser was born. "The best part of the V65," according to Cycle magazine's March 1983 road test, " is a mid-range punch that would do justice to Larry Holmes."

The liquid-cooled, 1098cc, 90-degree V-4 engine delivered a staggering flow of power from 1500 rpm to its 10,000 rpm redline. But how quick was it? On October 3, 1982, Honda brought drag-strip maestro Jay "Pee-Wee" Gleason and a standard V65 to Southern California's Orange County International Raceway to find out. Gleason's 10.92 — second 1/4-mile sprint made the V65 America's fastest production street machine, inspiring ads with one powerfully simple headline: Bad News Travels Fast.

For street riders, the good news was Honda engineers made sure the bike was easy to live with as well as fast. The four-cam, 16-valve V-4 cruised through a daily commute as happily as it devoured drag strips. Around town, the V65 was surpassingly agile for its size. A durable, diaphragm-type hydraulic clutch modulated power to the shaft drive, and one-way sprag clutch kept downshifts from chirping the rear tire. Anti-dive valving in the 41mm front fork helped stabilize the chassis under braking. An overdrive top gear in the six-speed transmission kept the V-4 serene at freeway speeds. Tired of cruising your hometown? Strap on some saddlebags and the Magna was comfortable enough to cruise to some town three or four states away.

Riders expected such well-mannered versatility from Honda. The V65's magnetism came from its totally radical fusion of bad boy good looks and world-class quickness. According to Cycle's March, 1983 test, "Its horsepower translates directly into an immediate gut-wrenching rush, unmatched by any other production street machine." To anyone who ever felt it, that V65 rush boils down to one word. Unforgettable.

Attachments

• MM_1983_V65_Magna_cycle.jpg
    MM_1983_V65_Magna_cycle.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,792
im rather jelous dave :bowdown:...

oh, and i agree on the road king as a nice bike. ~greg

Greg, Don't be jealous, I only rented the thing !!! and besides I too think Harley is getting somewhat of a 'Big Head' , their dealers tend to have a "Our Chit dosen't stink" kidda philosophy. For 5-7k less one can buy a metric that will last longer, run smother, and when you hit 50k miles you will have spent alot less on maintence. But........ there is something about that mystique.

Here's my dream:

Honda's 1983 V65 Magna ..
That bike was so far ahead of its time! It's probably a better bike than the V-Max that's still being sold new.

I keep hoping to see Honda do something with that V-5 they raced up to last year. The VFR is so out of date it's sad, and Honda's cruiser lineup is Mesozoic.

I had an 84 V65 Sabre, the "standard" bike to the Magna's "cruiser" look.

Peter

Attachments

• V65 Sabre.jpg
    V65 Sabre.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,518

Latest posts

Back