line of work

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired Bomb Squad Team Leader (at 37 y.o.),, now Diplomatic Bodyguard (High threat Close Protection) abroad. Cathy works for a Federal Judge. Empty nesters now.

The best term I've ever come up with is "serial entrepreneur".

Many many moons ago my first business (with my father) was local trucking and courier work. Then onto airfreight cartage.... then somehow found my way into running a hazardous materials transport business for a large industrial grade gas manufacturer for about 4 years.

When that gig ended, I was seduced by the insurance industry (long story!) where I've spent the last 18+ years in various insurance agency ownership capacities. Four different insurance agencies in total, handling 4 diverse product lines, from retail (store-front) agency to managing a national hazardous materials haulers program.

I've been very lucky and blessed. In 1999-2000, I hit what I call the "business lottery" and made enough money not to worry about the rent, etc., which allowed me to take some time off and think about what I wanted to do next.

I spent about 5 years in a NYC law firm where I assisted the lead counsel in discovery issues as a paralegal. The firm was involved in corporate "divorces" and partnership disputes - being there was like living a masters program in corporate risk management. I helped prepare counsel for over 60 depositions during my time there. I was nearly seduced by the legal profession, but ultimately decided it was not for me.

Since 2000, I have been passively managing my own investments and those of certain friends and relatives.

My current insurance gig is coming to an end at the end of the year, and I think my insurance sales days are pretty much over. My plans are to continue my investment management education, teach insurance courses, assist plaintiffs against insurers as an expert witness/coverage expert and volunteer with SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives). http://www.score.org/

I also have an agreement to write a personal insurance/finance column in a local newspaper starting in January.

I think of it as my "retirement job". :cool: That, raising my kids and listening to my MLs... :D

Engineering Tech

1971-1980 Liquid Fuels Maint. (Air Force), in 1975 I had a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10a's in the barracks (in N.Calif./Galena,AK/Phoenix,AZ/Lajes Field,Azores) Those speakers did some traveling! Small rooms for DQ-10a's.
1983-1993 Mechanical Engineering Tech.(turbines,stress and thermal analysis models) Got my ML CLS IIa's in 1989 in Phoenix, AZ.
1994-current USACE, Civil Engineering Tech. (surveying CAD work)Davenport, Iowa. Funny thing is someone at work also has a pair of ML CLS IIz's. I wouldn't figure that there were any in Iowa, but there it it.

associate professor of English

I am an associate professor of English at a National College of Technology in Japan

Analytical Chemist for a lubricant additive company for the past 10 years.

If it has wheels, or an engine, it has some of our additives in it.:D

Line of work

I teach instrumental music to children grade 4 - 8 in Northbrook Il. (greatest job in the world been doing this for 24 years). Also just graduated from NEIU with a masters in brass pedagogy trumpet major. Have been playing professionally for around 30 years. Will travel this June to Vietnam to play at number of music festivals with Kimo Williams and Kimotion one of the most extraordinary bands I have ever played with. The music is very eclectic and virtually indescribable. Check-out the web-site http://www.kimotion.org/
We recorded a live CD at Chicago's own Martyrs. Guest artist drummer Vinnie Colaiuta from Frank Zappa fame was at the helm. Kimo's CD Tracking is truly amazing, I could recommend this to anyone on this site. War Stories is also great work but perhaps not recorded quite as well.

Doug - out

Last edited:
I am a Registered Nurse and EMT and work in the Emergency Center in a Level 1 Trauma facility! I love my job!
Nik

I teach instrumental music to children grade 4 - 8 in Northbrook Il. (greatest job in the world been doing this for 24 years). Also just graduated from NEIU with a masters in brass pedagogy trumpet major. Have been playing professionally for around 30 years. Will travel this June to Vietnam to play at number of music festivals with Kimo Williams and Kimotion one of the most extraordinary bands I have ever played with. The music is very eclectic and virtually indescribable. Check-out the web-site http://www.kimotion.org/
We recorded a live CD at Chicago's own Martyrs. Guest artist drummer Vinnie Colaiuta from Frank Zappa fame was at the helm. Kimo's CD Tracking is truly amazing, I could recommend this to anyone on this site. War Stories is also great work but perhaps not recorded quite as well.

Doug - out

Doug, I went to Maine East High School and played trombone/baritone from 5th-12th grade.

Sr. Software Engineer for Microsoft Research. Built main search results UI for Windows Desktop Search and currently working on social networking apps for smartphones.

Back