lifespan of ML panels.. esp clarity!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DingMac_UK

Reaction score
Having just got my ML Clarity.. should I be risking them for background music or saving them for serious listening only? (*worried*)!

I had sequels for 17 years. Kept them powered off when not in use and I lived in a dry climate (southern calif). They still sounded good when I sold them.

YMMV.

Yeah, play them to your heart's content. As long as you treat them well (don't feed them a clipped signal, etc...all the things that are good ideas with any speaker) they should last you for many years. In fact, I'd say that it's more non-music related factors that will contribute to their aging...so a 10 year old set that hasn't been played much shouldn't be much better off than a 10 year old set that's been played regularly.

I have had my reQuests for almost 10 years. I can't imagine a problem.

Wayner ;)

My Aerius i speakers are at least 6-7 years old. No issues at all. Depending on the use, you could replace them every 5 years or so. However, a number of ESL owners have had their speakers running for 10+ years and haven't had any problems or need to replace the panels.

When you get north of 15 years, I would probably replace them. If you are worried, you can also try washing the panels. Just be careful and consult with a few people on the board who have done that successfully.

Erik

I had sequels for 17 years. Kept them powered off when not in use and I lived in a dry climate (southern calif). They still sounded good when I sold them.

YMMV.

You seem to apply a shorter life in more humid climates... I have noticed my system sounds better now that it is fall weather.

You seem to apply a shorter life in more humid climates... I have noticed my system sounds better now that it is fall weather.

Sort of: The key to panel life is envoronmental pollution. The worst thing you can do for your speakers is smoke - the smoke gets into the panels, attaches itself to them, makes them heavy, ruins the conductive coating and suddenly the panel is no longer able to respond to the music like it used to. I also insist my wife does not cook/fry in the house. (I tell her it's because I can't stand the smell of stale cooking, but it's really for the 'logans)!

Other factors affect this too - in a humid environment, environmental pollutants are more likely to attach to the speaker. When the speakers are on, they attract dust, hence turn them off when not in use. Vacuum them regularly and keep them clean.

If you're operating them in an "infection-control room" clean environment they'd last indefinitely. But we can't do that - just apply some common sense.

Last edited:

Interesting observation, David... I wonder if when it's humid, the panels have a harder time moving the air and thus would not sound as good..

Any other thoughts on this? Anyone?

interestingly i thought my less than 5 year old Aeon had no issue with the sound of the panel until i recently change it with the currently xstst panel and oh boy music seem to come to live . The older panel had burried some mid to high . Whether this is the work of the new xstat or simply the panel had deteriorated that some of us never knew what we had been missing until they get the panel change. The Aeons are kept in a fairly dust free air cond room with no cigratte or kitchen smoke. i did the frequent vacuum as suggested. So it bring the question of durability and gradual deteriorate over a period of less than 5 years. If panel need to be changed within a short few years inorder to keep what the panel can really do, this will mean a fairly high maintenance cost compare to conventional speaker.

Interesting observation, David... I wonder if when it's humid, the panels have a harder time moving the air and thus would not sound as good..

Hi,
Another possibility could be lower humidity causing less high voltage leakage from the diaphragm. The high voltage bias circuit will get loaded down and drop in voltage if it has to deliver current beacuse of leakage from the diaphragm. This drop in high voltage can alter not only the effeciency of the speaker, but the frequency response as well.

I also suspect this is one reason why vacuuming the panels makes a difference in the sound of the speaker, the dust accumulation increases the leakage current.

Just my .02,
Peter

Yeah, I think so. I think the humidity in the air discharges the panels a lot more than air with no water in it. I believe (if you measured it) you would find your panels had a lot less charge in humid conditions.

This is distinct from the phenonomen of humidity affecting the longevity of the panels.

I also insist my wife does not cook/fry in the house. (I tell her it's because I can't stand the smell of stale cooking, but it's really for the 'logans)!

Hmmm, never thought about that. Unfortunately, our kitchen adjoins my family/listening room. Guess I need to banish all indoor frying and fire up the backyard grill!

I wonder if one of those Sharper Image ozone air purifiers would have a beneficial or deleterious effect?

Certain types of cooking is harmful to the panels if they are exposed to the airborne oils from frying or even sauteeing. Ever notice the film of oil on the backpanel behind the stove when cleaning the kitchen? I hate the thought of that stuff getting on the panels. Good ventilation is essential.

Certain types of cooking is harmful to the panels if they are exposed to the airborne oils from frying or even sauteeing. Ever notice the film of oil on the backpanel behind the stove when cleaning the kitchen? I hate the thought of that stuff getting on the panels. Good ventilation is essential.

All indoor frying / sauteeing is banished in our house. We use the barbecue for everything. The worst thing about that stuff is that it won't come off the panels by vacuuming!

If you've got good ventilation (ie. a high-flow canopy exhaust fan that is ducted to the outside) then it is probably less of a risk, but the exhaust in our kitchen is recirculating.

Last edited:
Back