Lexicon pawns off an Oppo BDP83 as theirs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a $500 OPPO can easily get to $3000, especially when you add in the hi-end retail store's margin, which normally is WAY higher than that of the discount store. So don't get all upset at a $3000 tweaked OPPO.

Maybe if you're naïve enough to belive Lexicon actually pay full retail price for their batch of thousands?? of Oppo players.

My point - with what Lexicon are paying for the Oppo players (versus what they have actually done to develop the product [nothing]), Lexicon could probably sell their player for $USD499 (same retail as Oppo) and still turn a profit!

This is the most unethical thing I've heard about in a long time.

Yes, you're right. There is no shortage of tweaked products using other people's parts, but in cases of which I approve, there are two things well known to me:

1: The origin of the product
2: What modifications have been done.
and;
3: They sell for a marginal premium, commensurate with what has been done.

Example: The Ah NjoeTjoeb valve-modified Marantz players. Origin is known [Marantz], modifications are known [valves, output stage, et al] and modest premium over Marantz (not 7 times the price!!)

They have the audacity to simply stick a stock Oppo player in a larger, nice looking box and slap a nice faceplate on it and screw it back together and sell it for $3k? How dare they! Lexiocon has just lost all of their credibility imo and I will make sure I will never own any of their products again! Shame on them - what do they think we are that stupid??? Don't they know that word spreads fast in 2010?
I guess if you have more money than sense and just "have" to have their Blu Ray player to match the rest of your system, more power to ya!

Back