Let the amp war begin!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are others here that also own the DAC2 and seem to like it (Churchill for one).

Cheers

upgraded from my 2 yr old TADAC tube DAC (mini cult classic) to a W4S DAC2 this weekend. Definitely an upgrade, if you know what I mean, as opposed to a side-grade. Biggest difference is much tighter Bass Control. Loses something to the Tube design in open-ness of sound but more than makes up by removing some residual frequency compression, and increasing both hi- and low frequency clarity. But especially the low.

Cant compare to the ultra high end DACs from Berekely, Weiss, dCS etc. my theory on DACs is that they are still coming down the tech chain so fast that a $2k DAC today handily trumps a $5k DAC from 2 years back. I've already changed 3 DACs in two years and each has been a huge upgrade even though neither was one of the supposed industry leaders ala Weiss or dCS or MBL. If I wanted to spend $5 or $10k more, I would upgrade my Summits to the Summit X or the CLX or MBLs (which is what I did) but thats me. I am almost at a point where I have no desire to upgrade any more (gasp) in erither my Summit based HT and 2-ch system or my MBL based 2-ch second system

But I digress. Bottomline is that I think the DAC2 was for me a terrific purchase for about $1k or thereabouts.

The only real way to determine what fits your audio palate would be to hear the actual amp(s) driving your speakers. This isn't always possible but having others tell you what they hear is only one piece of the puzzle. Not everyone hears or feels music the same way. You gather as much information as you can to help make an informed decision.

I ended up with Spread Spectrum Technology Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks to drive my CLS and then Prodigy. They have the capability required to drive the most demaning loads. They pushed more bass out of my CLS than any other amp I ever used, but they are not a one trick pony. With the Prodigy they are fast and articulate for music and still have plenty of headroom for home theater dynamics. They never appear thin, shrill or harsh on the high end for me.

I concur...if possible you should try out the intended amp with YOUR speakers. I use a Bryston and though their amps do well with Maggies I was little concerned it might not work well with my CLSZ2...I was wrong...since you like the Hybrid LSA you may want to consider the tube preamp/ss amp route...I heard a Transcedent Grounded Grid preamp with some Krell monoblocks running Maggie3.6r:music: BTW...I have high hopes for the Antelope Zodiac Gold upcoming review in 6 Moons....could it de-throne the Weiss?

I concur...if possible you should try out the intended amp with YOUR speakers. I use a Bryston and though their amps do well with Maggies I was little concerned it might not work well with my CLSZ2...I was wrong...since you like the Hybrid LSA you may want to consider the tube preamp/ss amp route...I heard a Transcedent Grounded Grid preamp with some Krell monoblocks running Maggie3.6r:music: BTW...I have high hopes for the Antelope Zodiac Gold upcoming review in 6 Moons....could it de-throne the Weiss?

yes, I think this is the route Im going to go. Going to grab some SS monos, run them through a nice Tube pre and then compare back to back with the LSA. I think thats a good starting point:D

"Hyperbolic Conversion Amplification Circuit
This new kind of circuitry, developed by Yamaha, eliminates the only serious drawback of previous Class A operation amplifiers. These had to switch to non-linear class AB operation above a certain load current, causing a slight deterioration in the otherwise excellent sound quality. The new Hyperbolic Conversion Amplification Circuit does away with this problem, allowing your Yamaha MX-800/U to deliver superior performance constantly, without switching or cut-off, over its entire power range.

Advanced Power Supply Circuitry (APS)
An amplifier is only as good as its power supply = this simple truth has prompted Yamaha to develop the APS circuitry incorporated in your new MX-800/U. The problem with conventional power sources was their tendency to produce pronounced voltage ripples during medium to large amplitude music signals, particularly under low impedance loads, together with voltage fluctuations in the power transistors. APS solves this problem by providing an active power source that ensures stable voltage in the final transistor stage under all operating conditions, thus greatly improving power supply to the amplifier.
"

Hyperbol ad script or not, I like it :afro:

I like it too!!! I use the Yamaha CX/MX/TX-1000/U in one of my systems (Ascent i) and the Yamaha CX/MX/TX-2000/U set with another (Aeon i). Both are beautiful to listen to and the 2000 series is some really neat audio bling (gotta love them big VU meters)!!!

I have fueled the CLX's for nearly two years with Pass Labs XA-100.5's and a Pass Labs XP-20 preamp. Never looked back. IMO unless you listen at the ear bleed level you don't need more than 30 watts of class A power. For me, the important issue is match between preamp and amp since design usually obeys the form follows function rule. As I write this, I am listening to CLX's in a 2.1 (the .1 are 4 ML Descent-i subs) and lovin' it.

Which is that to which I aspire, hopefully in the near future! Well, perhaps minus a couple of the subs...

Ok Folks,
Due to a good deal, I have purchased a pair of MBL 8011A monos.
So within the next 4-6 weeks I will be doing some back to back testing with the LSA Statement and MBL's. I also will be borrowing a Thor TA1000 Pre as well.
Ill see where all this ends up and what stays or goes;)

Hey folks, been awhile since I posted something....

So, My system has drastically changed in the last few months, I went from Spires to CLX and Depth........
Time to change your system picture, Necro.

BTW do you have the CLX's where you had the Spires? I was wondering how wide your room is, and how well the CLX's work in that space.

Last edited:
Hey Bernard,

yup! on my to do list!

yes my CLX are currently in the same tight spot. Room is 10ft wide. Me and bobf removed the 4ft walk in closet and I now was able to move my listening seat back much further and I have come to find a spot that is just amazing sounding. I know this room is not doing these speakers any justice but what i am hearing is making me extremely happy. Much better then the vantage or Spire. I thought that the small room might make the CLX not sing properly, but that is not the case at all.

Back