Klipsch goes "High End" !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
It sure looks beautifull, who knows maybe with their new tweeter, "ear bleeds" will be a thing of the past. At $15,000 a pair I hope so !

Attachments

• 300x300[1].jpg
    300x300[1].jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 264
It does look intriguing, Dave. I've heard about these for some time now, but I didn't know they released them already. These are the Premier or Prestige line right? Something with a "P" atleast, I forget...

It sure looks beautifull, who knows maybe with their new tweeter, "ear bleeds" will be a thing of the past. At $15,000 a pair I hope so !

Actually, the upper end of the newest Reference 4 series, the RF 83, RF63 and RC 64 have a new tweeter design that is very very smooth and musical without any listener fatigue. I replaced the Mosaics I was using with my Theateri in my dedicated theater with a pair of RF63s and an RC 64 and they are actually smoother than the Mosaics and the center has the authority and range of the Theater i at a fraction of the cost. In fact I paid for all my 7 of the Klipsh in the theater from what I sold the Theater i and Mosaics for. My Summits now do two channel duty in a high end system that is strictly 2 channel.

The new Klipsch "high end" series which has been in development for years, with it's 3 way design should go even further in horn improvements.

Last edited:
Jerry,
How do you like the sound of your Summit's compared to the Klipsch? I am an RF-7 owner and used to find them somewhat harsh. I no longer find them harsh as I have paired them with the right amp/preamp but still may upgrade to some MLs. I am thinking about the new Spires

Jerry,
How do you like the sound of your Summit's compared to the Klipsch? I am an RF-7 owner and used to find them somewhat harsh. I no longer find them harsh as I have paired them with the right amp/preamp but still may upgrade to some MLs. I am thinking about the new Spires

I went right from RF7s (which I moded with Dean G Xovers) to the Summits in the same room with the same electronics chain therefore it's about as much of an a/b as is possible. My conclusion: for 2 channel music the Summits are easily worth their 4x cost over the 7s. The midrange of the Summit makes the 7 sound hollow by comparison (which it is being a 2 way). The quality of the bass in the Summit by comparison to the boom of the 7 has to be heard to be believed and the lack of listener fatigue in the high end allows me to sit for hours on end listening to music. The Summits are more time consuming and finniky to set up, but once you've got them right the soundstage is truely a....stage! The voices of both people and instruments seem to eminate halographically from their location on the stage rather than from a single point as the do with the Klipsch HF horn. It's one of those things that can't adequitly be described in words, but must be heard to be full understood. I auditioned speakers in the $8K to 15K price range for a year and a half before deciding on the Summits. Hopefully you can find a dealer who knows how to set up the Summits properly so that you can hear them properly. I traveled to three different dealers till I found one who actually has Summits in his own home and was able to move them into proper position to allow hear the glory they can produce... My search was over and I purchased them on the spot.

As you can see from my posts above...for stricktly theater use watching movies, I find the Klipsch very hard to beat.

Last edited:
I agree.. for HT, it's hard to beat Klipsch. For 2ch, there is something about the coherence of the Summit that makes for a very difficult challenge for something like the RF7 to meet. My parents have an all Klipsch HT, so I get to hear both manufacturers' offerings quite often.

for stricktly theater use watching movies, I find the Klipsch very hard to beat.

Jerry, I agree as well and given their price point if I was building a "HT" only room i would go with them in a heartbeat. i don't know if it's true anymore but back 'in the day' I was told they were THE speaker of choice in most theatres in the country.

Actually, there were three Alteck, ElectroVoice and Klipsch. Klipsh LaScala made their way into many a theater before becoming part of their home audio line. They still make a whole line of theater speakers and PA gear for music groups that most of us have never seen or even heard (cause I haven't been in a commercial movie theater in 10 years....LOL).

(cause I haven't been in a commercial movie theater in 10 years....LOL).
Me neither as I cannot stand the sound levels. I don't know why they do that. A friend of mine told me that in a movie he saw there was a scene where a truck blew up and someone standing close to it went deaf; when he exited the theatre he had trouble hearing as well. I value my hearing too much to subject it to that.

Me neither as I cannot stand the sound levels. I don't know why they do that. A friend of mine told me that in a movie he saw there was a scene where a truck blew up and someone standing close to it went deaf; when he exited the theatre he had trouble hearing as well. I value my hearing too much to subject it to that.

High SPLs don't bother me as much as over talkative teens, dirty floors and neverending cell phones ringing. The theaters in this area seem to cater to the teens. They are the multiplex type that have only enough staff to collect money and sell refreshments...let alone police the place.

I built my dedicated theater to have the atmosphere of a Regal Cinema...without the BS. Everyone tells me I succeded. The only entrance to our "cinema" is from outside the house...so three or four times a week we go "out to the movies"!

Latest posts

Back