Keiko Matsui Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Last night my wife and I saw Keiko Matsui at the Blues Alley in Washington, D.C.

Last time we did not dine at the club ( had snacks last time) but went out after the show. Last night we dined at the club. We arrived about 6:30 for an 8 oclock show. The food was fair to mid-land but didn't want to make me stop eating. Being from MD, I thought I'd try the crab cakes. Not too bad. Not a lot of filler and large chunks of crab.

Keiko was much tinier than I imagined. She is a 50 year old woman who looks like she may be 30. I find it hard to imagine her very small hands can dance across the keyboard as she so ably does.

She played a few of her notable tunes which were very faithful to the recordings I have of her. She mentioned the disaster in Japan a couple of times and there was a heartfelt compassion from the audience which could not be denied. We probably have no comprehension of the magnitude of the disaster which struck that country (9-11 excluded).

She also played several cuts from her new CD, which I actually thought was overdone just abit. Nothing wrong with promoting a new cut, but she has a lot of music she did not play and the audience wanted to hear more of them. She also only played for about 70 minutes. The show started late due to a technical malfunction in the sound system. I have been to the venue a couple times before and most artists played at least 90 minutes and I frankly felt a bit short changed.

What she did play was very well done and the band was a very good blend of musicians. Nobody really stood out except for perhaps the sax player. There was an obvious vibe going on between her and him. What a great sax player! Especially if he had something going on the side!!

All in all, a good, decent and entertaining show. If your into her style of music I would highly recommend attending!!

Gordon

Glad you had fun, Gordon. How was the sound? Anything standout sonically? Did she have her own FOH Engineer or did the house guy mix? Where did you sit in the room compared to the PA?

I see quite a lot of live music and I find that its the standard to play a 60/40 ratio(or more) of latest release vs older songs for any touring act. I have also seen some interesting reactions from various audiences. I loved seeing the Greendale tour, he played the whole thing first set and people thought that might be it and were bitching up a storm. Then they came back out and played a standard Crazy Horse set and all haters be damned...no one left unhappy and the complainers looked silly. I almost find some acts that come out and play you there greatest hits often have already retired in their mind, they just phone in the performance each night.

Thanks for the review.

Last edited:
I agree, bands that just regurgitate the same stuff aren't reaching anymore. I listen to live music 1 to 2 times a week and have noticed that this happens to some bands, no matter of their fame and success level.

We did actually have great time. We sat center, about 15 foot back on a one foot platform. The house mixer was in control and he, believe it or not, had her electric piano turned way down. She asked for it to be brought up five measures into the first song. While I enjoy hearing new music, the older music is what prompted us to take in the show. I wasn't expecting a greatest hits show since she is not ready for that bag of gas. I just thought a few of her more popular cuts would have been been fun to hear live. This is one of the few shows I've been to where I actually bought the new CD. There are some fabulous cuts and the price was right with an autograph.

One thing that was disappointing was, they had the Grand piano set with her back to the audience. While some may have enjoyed seeing her hands dance on the keyboard, you could not see her face while she was playing. Call me nuts, but that is an important part of the show to me.

Gordon

I discovered this lovely lady about 2 months ago. Bought about 7 of her cd's, great voice

Back