Just sold my Montanas...i'm depressed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hell... i know nobody cares and you know what, i don't care what you guys think of me and i'm not looking for
anyone's sympathy. I'm just posting for the hell of it.

In other words . . . "I'm just a troll trying to get a rise out of you guys."

Oh hell... i know nobody cares and you know what, i don't
care what you guys think of me and i'm not looking for
anyone's sympathy. I'm just posting for the hell of it.

Since someone else mentioned resale value on the Spires...
I had both the Montanas and Spires up for sale on Craigslist...
i only got calls on the Montanas and they sold for a decent
price. I've seen the Spires on Agon at $4550 and $4600
but haven't seen a sale except one from Miss Hi Fi. Another
ML club member who bought a pair of Soundlabs tried to sell
his Spires at around $4500..don't think he was successful and
gave up or changed his mind.

If i was so dissatisfied with the Spires, i wouldn't have
sold the Montanas....you guys' sphincters always tighten
up when anyone criticizes ML. They do a lot of things well
but do have some shortcomings (like all speakers).

I am thinking of springing for the AZ Crescendos....if
so, i hope to sell the Spires quickly somewhere north of $4k....
don't know if it'll happen though.

I don't think anyone here believes Logans don't have shortcomings. Just read some of the posts like the one on other speakers people have heard and enjoyed. No one has tried to shut that down. For some people it's a hobby for others it's more of an obsession- there is a continuum of opinions here on the site.

No one would say a word about your posts, if they were on Audiogon. However, on this fan site, you are coming across like an obnoxious Ohio State fan at Michigan stadium or a Red Sox fan at Yankee Stadium during the World Series. There are a few simple realities about human nature. People like people who are similar to them, and people here love their Logans. People also like to feel important and one way is through the connection to their speakers, which give them a lot of pleasure. By knocking their beloved speakers, you are violating that.

You obviously are not getting this. I strongly recommend Carnegie's book to you. It would definitely help in all areas of your life as you interact with other people.

As far as selling your speakers, like I said on the other thread, there is a price for everything.

Is it me or is this site becoming more brutal?:D. We have one thread where members are telling someone his relationship with his wife sucks because he feels the need to discuss a 1500 dollar purchase and now mantana is going to jump off a cliff because he is selling non ml speakers. Our response?? Quit your whining! :ROFL: I mean I am laughing but I think it is the sign of the times. See my attempt at an uplifting post above Mantana.

I didn't say his relationship with his wife sucked because he needed to discuss a 1500 dollar purchase, I was just surprised.

As someone who sold hifi for a few years, the "my wife won't let me buy this..." is usually the best way to graciously get out of the deal. My wife and I have a running agreement, that whenever we get backed into a corner and don't want to make a decision on something, we use the other as an excuse.

So, whenever someone takes that path on a relatively inexpensive item, it always perks my ears up.

Huh, ppl you should give the guy a break. I can easily relate to someone having to let a great piece of equipment go. I greatly admire good engineering and products there of, it's like they deserve respect and looking after...

I don't think anyone here believes Logans don't have shortcomings. Just read some of the posts like the one on other speakers people have heard and enjoyed. No one has tried to shut that down. For some people it's a hobby for others it's more of an obsession- there is a continuum of opinions here on the site.

No one would say a word about your posts, if they were on Audiogon. However, on this fan site, you are coming across like an obnoxious Ohio State fan at Michigan stadium or a Red Sox fan at Yankee Stadium during the World Series. There are a few simple realities about human nature. People like people who are similar to them, and people here love their Logans. People also like to feel important and one way is through the connection to their speakers, which give them a lot of pleasure. By knocking their beloved speakers, you are violating that.

You obviously are not getting this. I strongly recommend Carnegie's book to you. It would definitely help in all areas of your life as you interact with other people.

As far as selling your speakers, like I said on the other thread, there is a price for everything.

I hear you Matz man...i put up this post...first one in awhile (and pretty
innocuous at that) and everyone freaked out.

It's fine and dandy to love your speakers...nothing is better than
kicking back to some excellent sound. What irritates me is
when someone buys some Logans and then they post about how
some part of the performance is disappointing or not
meeting their expectations. At first, you are helpful and make
suggestions to try and improve the sound. When they don't
achieve the desired results and state maybe it's just a
characteristic of the speaker , members start attacking.
Reminds me of the Bush administration...every time a
Bush member resigned and criticized the administration,
the whole team would pile on, call him a disgruntled
employee, dig up any dirt they could find to discredit
him.

I get it that you love your speakers...good, i'm happy
for you. I like the Spires too. I'm drinking a beer and
plan on cranking them up any minute.

Last edited:
Mantana,
Probably , having that huge TV back between the speakers isn't helping you get the best possible sound out of those spires.I dismantled my audio rack and spread it out more between the speakers and it made a vast difference on the sound.

I think the only way to go if incorporating video with ML's is a projector and electric screen for the above reason.A 55 inch TV sitting back between the speakers just ruins the tunes.

I am curious if you are running balanced XLR between your 1-7 and cdp?

Cheers, Greg

I didn't say his relationship with his wife sucked because he needed to discuss a 1500 dollar purchase, I was just surprised.

As someone who sold hifi for a few years, the "my wife won't let me buy this..." is usually the best way to graciously get out of the deal. My wife and I have a running agreement, that whenever we get backed into a corner and don't want to make a decision on something, we use the other as an excuse.

So, whenever someone takes that path on a relatively inexpensive item, it always perks my ears up.

I get it Jeff. Everyone comes from a different place. Relatively inexpensive is exactly that...relative. I think we are getting a more diverse poster here since ml has expanded their product line and marketing. Nothing wrong with that mind you but I think it changes the dynamic of the site. When I showed up here I think the aeon was the low end speaker at 3200 retail and only sold in specialty shops. Back then anyone who purchased was well a nutjob. :). Now we are probably going to get the consumer that is more price sensitive on the site.

Mantana,
Probably , having that huge TV back between the speakers isn't helping you get the best possible sound out of those spires.I dismantled my audio rack and spread it out more between the speakers and it made a vast difference on the sound.

I think the only way to go if incorporating video with ML's is a projector and electric screen for the above reason.A 55 inch TV sitting back between the speakers just ruins the tunes.

I am curious if you are running balanced XLR between your 1-7 and cdp?

Cheers, Greg

I'm not using balanced interconnects...i'm using Audio Magic
Excaliburs....

It's changed a lot over the years, especially the last 10. I do this for a living and I still can't believe what some of it costs and what I consider an "average price" for things.

I remember buying the first Kimber Cable speaker cables back in the late 70's that were $2 per foot. I thought that was INSANE, but bought 20 feet anyway and all of my friends thought I was absolutely crazy.

And I thought about this as I plugged in a pair of $7500 Shunyata Aurora IC's into my CD player. Crazy.

The good news is that there is a very wide range of stuff available and plenty of used gear as well, so you can get in and get back out fairly painlessly if you aren't quite sure what you want.

Originally Posted by tonepub

Originally Posted by timm
I get it Jeff. Everyone comes from a different place. Relatively inexpensive is exactly that...relative. I think we are getting a more diverse poster here since ml has expanded their product line and marketing. Nothing wrong with that mind you but I think it changes the dynamic of the site. When I showed up here I think the aeon was the low end speaker at 3200 retail and only sold in specialty shops. Back then anyone who purchased was well a nutjob. . Now we are probably going to get the consumer that is more price sensitive on the site.

That price sensitive reference definitely refers to me, even including the aeons:eek:

I consider a 1500 purchase very significant. It's Just the way things are for some people. The components that i put together were not easy and took a lot of time. Its a little piece of heaven to me even though i understand that it is not serious compared to some standards seen on this forum. I really enjoy the postings of your high-end setups:bowdown:

Everyone seems to forget my previous
posts back in December on
"Simaudio I7 Update"

Below are some of my comments:

It's been almost 2 months since i bought an immaculate, barely used, Simaudio I7
integrated to replace my Musical Fidelity A5
250w integrated. This was a last gasp effort to pair my Spires with a high quality amp to hopefully eliminate the subtle harshness or edginess i experienced with the MF.
Otherwise, the Spires had to go. ....well
i can finally say i'm enjoying the Spires
like i never did before. I always liked
their clarity and transparency, but they
fatigued me after a week or so. Glad to
say i haven't experienced any fatigue,
just good music. In fact, i now have my
Montanas up for sale along with the
Musical Fidelity. The main reason i
bought the Spires was to get a smaller
footprint and a much lighter
speaker (the Montanas are heavy
beasts), but also to get equivalent or
better sound. As you probably know, I
love the Montana sound, but now i
feel i can live comfortably with the
Logans, enjoy their virtues, and go
with my original plan of lean and
mean.
---------------------------------------------------
another post:

I always wanted to "like" the Spires...i
love their looks and size. Just couldn't
live with the MF combo. I tried 3 amps
and the 3rd time worked.

No mystery to "musicality" ....the Spires
always sounded musical to me, but
previously it was edgy, now it's not.

My decision to keep the Spires is simply
the elimination of that edginess. I don't
think they are a better speaker than the
Montanas, just different. Each has it's own strengths and
if the Montanas sell, i will
miss them, but now i can go "light"
and be happy with the Spires. I have my
house up for sale and really don't want
to lug the Montanas around. Not sure
if i'll have to rent before buying a
new place.
---------------------------------------------

So.....

My posting everyone is now so incensed
about pretty much complements what
i said above. It was just an update...
You guys are the ones who are so quick
to take offense and for no reason, in my
opinion (at least in this case).

You can blame the negative turn on
this thread to Rich, who was the 1st
to spew out his ill will (4th posting).

Last edited:
You can blame the negative turn on
this thread to Rich, who was the 1st
to spew out his ill will (4th posting).

Wrong. The thread was negative from the very first post. And intentionally so, like some of your previous threads. You wax poetic (once again) about your Montanas, and then, as an afterthought, add that you still have your Spires, which have the "advantages" of smaller size and weight. :rolleyes:

You posted for no other reason than to get a rise out of people, and now you completely overstate the reaction that you got. Everyone is "incensed" and "freaked out?" I think not. Looking back on the thread, it appears you got a pretty balanced response between those who have true sympathy for your "loss" and those, like myself, who see through your BS.

You pretend to have some kind of obsession/fascination with the Montanas, and yet you sold them. You barely hide your opprobrium for the Spires in most of your posts. You seem to have no other purpose for posting on this forum than to try to stir controversy -- the classic definition of a troll.

Of course, not everyone is incensed and freaked out...
just seems like it hearing from the angry few.
So, no....i don't direct my comments to those more tolerant.

But, there's no point in discussing this further...

+1 I could not have said it better myself! Quit your damn whining - nobody wants to hear it!

Wrong. The thread was negative from the very first post. And intentionally so, like some of your previous threads. You wax poetic (once again) about your Montanas, and then, as an afterthought, add that you still have your Spires, which have the "advantages" of smaller size and weight. :rolleyes:

You posted for no other reason than to get a rise out of people, and now you completely overstate the reaction that you got. Everyone is "incensed" and "freaked out?" I think not. Looking back on the thread, it appears you got a pretty balanced response between those who have true sympathy for your "loss" and those, like myself, who see through your BS.

You pretend to have some kind of obsession/fascination with the Montanas, and yet you sold them. You barely hide your opprobrium for the Spires in most of your posts. You seem to have no other purpose for posting on this forum than to try to stir controversy -- the classic definition of a troll.

wow, perfectly said! +1 As well!

I consider a 1500 purchase very significant. It's Just the way things are for some people. The components that i put together were not easy and took a lot of time. Its a little piece of heaven to me even though i understand that it is not serious compared to some standards seen on this forum. I really enjoy the postings of your high-end setups:bowdown:

Seriously, my perspective is so completely warped, I shouldn't even comment on stuff like this. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the GamuT S-9's. I should just check into a program where it starts out, "My name is Jeff and I have a problem..."

Seriously, my perspective is so completely warped, I shouldn't even comment on stuff like this. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the GamuT S-9's. I should just check into a program where it starts out, "My name is Jeff and I have a problem..."

Keep your very valued comments coming. Regardless of the "level" of our sound-systems, we all share a common goal and no one here should start a statement with even a hint of a problem.

Back