Just sold my Montanas...i'm depressed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantana

Reaction score
Sold my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated for $1415 a little while
back and replaced with a Sim i7. Not unhappy with that sale.

Just watched my Montana EPS2s go out the door today for
$5000. I paid $8100 in June of '07. Felt pangs of regret
almost immediately...always loved those speakers. They
really fill up a room....big soundstage, dynamic as hell,
and so easy on the ears with all types of music. They
were a beast to move...200 lbs each in their wooden crates.
Oh well, i achieved my goal of a lighter footprint...still
have the Spires..... will be much easier to move if my
house sells.

Last edited:
So maybe you should have kept them and you wouldn't be depressed.

Seems like you got a good price. At least, that should make you happy. :D

PS: There are many ways of dealing with depression. I hope that you can find the appropriate option that best fits your particular situation.

Last edited:
Sold my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated for $1415 a little while
back and replaced with a Sim i7. Not unhappy with that sale.

Just watched my Montana EPS2s go out the door today for
$5000. I paid $8100 in June of '07. Felt pangs of regret
almost immediately...always loved those speakers. They
really fill up a room....big soundstage, dynamic as hell,
and so easy on the ears with all types of music. They
were a beast to move...200 lbs each in their wooden crates.
Oh well, i achieved my goal of a lighter footprint...still
have the Spires..... will be much easier to move if my
house sells.
mantana. I am surprised to hear this. You always talked glowingly about these speakers. Here is the good news. When the time is right I am guessing you will be upgrading something or other. How exciting is that?

I really can't understand why someone would post on a Martin Logan Speaker forum trying to garner sympathy because they just had to sell their big old beloved box speakers and now they are stuck listening to their crappy little Spires. Boo hoo.

I really can't understand why someone would post on a Martin Logan Speaker forum trying to garner sympathy because they just had to sell their big old beloved box speakers and now they are stuck listening to their crappy little Spires. Boo hoo.

I agree with you Rich.

It's more than okay to have more than one system, most of us do.

Sorry for your loss, don't tear up, but did they look like this?

http://www.allegrosound.com/Montana_EPS2.html
Montana_EPS2_2.jpg

Is it me or is this site becoming more brutal?:D. We have one thread where members are telling someone his relationship with his wife sucks because he feels the need to discuss a 1500 dollar purchase and now mantana is going to jump off a cliff because he is selling non ml speakers. Our response?? Quit your whining! :ROFL: I mean I am laughing but I think it is the sign of the times. See my attempt at an uplifting post above Mantana.

Give the guy a break. It has to be hard to see a pair of speakers like that leave. He even uses their name as his moniker; there has to be some serious attachment to those speakers.

So you got 5K, hope you are happy with the deal. Look on the bright side - You should be able to get a pair of Summits or even the X version at around that price. Can't imagine being depressed about that.

Well, what did you expect from a Martin Logan forum;).

Last edited:
It's more than okay to have more than one system, most of us do.

Sorry for your loss, don't tear up, but did they look like this?

looked like that, but in piano black...they're awesome looking.

Better i had said i was experiencing some seller's remorse...i
won't be jumping off any cliffs. I'll be depressed if i end
up buying them back for more $.

I don't look at the Spires as a crappy letdown either, but in all
honesty, i like the Montana's overall presentation better. Still,
i enjoy the Spires and admire their strengths... the Sim i7
stepped up their performance.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
yeah, who really cares here about your mantana speakers. This is a Martin Logan forum, nothing else. Talk about your ML speakers or post in the mantana forum if you have to whine!

Actually - this is in the 'off Topic Audio/Video' section.... Even though this is a ML site - I think everything ML - and restricted to ML is in the Main Discussion Forum. Topics related to other types of Audio/Video are reserved for this section of the site? So.... stop your whining about Mantana's whining.... :)

Didn't we have a long thread with Mantana complaining about the resale value of his Spires?

Mantana, you have a great system. Move on, move on, move on:D

Last edited:
Mantana, I feel for you settling for second best. And of course, you can post here without censorship.

However, by the reaction you are getting now and the reaction you got before on your previous post, I have some advice for you: No one in this world gives a damn about what you want. Maybe your mom and dad did when you were really small, but no one else. People only care about what they want. They think of themselves 99% of the time and 1% of others. This is a Martin Logan forum, and people are insanely in love with this brand, so what more can you expect?

Just the facts of life. Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People runs with this theme...

I'm not sure people here only think of themselves.

When someone more than once posts with the complain or wine, with what appears to be a plea for sympathy that may or may not be warranted, it can to some be a bit annoying.

There are many here who would like nothing more to be stuck with a pair of Spires than have an unreasonably low resale value

Mantana, I feel for you settling for second best. And of course, you can post here without censorship.

However, by the reaction you are getting now and the reaction you got before on your previous post, I have some advice for you: No one in this world gives a damn about what you want. Maybe your mom and dad did when you were really small, but no one else. People only care about what they want. They think of themselves 99% of the time and 1% of others. This is a Martin Logan forum, and people are insanely in love with this brand, so what more can you expect?

Just the facts of life. Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People runs with this theme...

Oh hell... i know nobody cares and you know what, i don't
care what you guys think of me and i'm not looking for
anyone's sympathy. I'm just posting for the hell of it.

Since someone else mentioned resale value on the Spires...
I had both the Montanas and Spires up for sale on Craigslist...
i only got calls on the Montanas and they sold for a decent
price. I've seen the Spires on Agon at $4550 and $4600
but haven't seen a sale except one from Miss Hi Fi. Another
ML club member who bought a pair of Soundlabs tried to sell
his Spires at around $4500..don't think he was successful and
gave up or changed his mind.

If i was so dissatisfied with the Spires, i wouldn't have
sold the Montanas....you guys' sphincters always tighten
up when anyone criticizes ML. They do a lot of things well
but do have some shortcomings (like all speakers).

I am thinking of springing for the AZ Crescendos....if
so, i hope to sell the Spires quickly somewhere north of $4k....
don't know if it'll happen though.

Last edited:
i would love to have this problem. ;)

Well...i live in Denver and my Spires are up for sale on Craigslist
for $4500....what are you waiting for?

By the way, i like your room, but particularly your dog...nice looking
pup.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
until my wife's job situation corrects itself ill have to pass, but i suspect if we were a year down the road i would most certainly take them in a heart beat. my room is two front wall absorbers away from being completely ready for those Spires, and i have 2 extra panels already on deck!

i would give them a good home with lots of TLC and hours of attention.:music:

by the way, are there any brick and mortar hifi shops here you recommend?

until my wife's job situation corrects itself ill have to pass, but i suspect if we were a year down the road i would most certainly take them in a heart beat. my room is two front wall absorbers away from being completely ready for those Spires, and i have 2 extra panels already on deck!

i would give them a good home with lots of TLC and hours of attention.:music:

by the way, are there any brick and mortar hifi shops here you recommend?

Well...i might still have them by then....

there's only one dealer here in town....i bought at Sights and Sounds in Greenwood Village...

Last edited:
ill keep you in mind as things get better!

we should have a denver area meet sometime. its self serving but i would love to hear those spires, and tims CLS's too. is that all for the denver crue?

Back