Jim Power is RETIRING!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
"Jumping the Shark" (I still literally picture Fonzy wearing his Leather Jacket on Water Skis) somewhat renders an indictment on all of us who have spent tens of thousands of Dollars on current Martin Logan Speakers.

Indeed they now do sell some very inexpensive Speakers, but they also make models like the CLX and Summit X. And other current ESL Models in between that really perform ably. And in truth, it feels like a very large segment of Members have Summits, Spires, Vantages, Vistas, and a few blessed enough to have CLX's.
Cheers,
JJ

Well, this is a revoltin' thread to read! I have an original pair of Monoliths that need the panels replaced. I may look at trying to rejuvenate the orig. panels as well.

Should I even trust buying panels from them now?

Why would you think you cannot trust them?

Why would you think you cannot trust them?

Because the Talent pool has been fired.

There's such a thing as a learning curve.

Who would you rather have build panels for you, the guys who have been doing it for 30 years or the guys reading how to do it off of a PDF?

I'm not defending ML's recent actions but, by his own admission, Jim did not "build" the panels.

GG

I'm not defending ML's recent actions but, by his own admission, Jim did not "build" the panels.

GG

I didn't say Jim built panels. I said the talent pool was fired.

It would be a different deal if Grado or another Boutique company had bought ML. Not an investment company. I don't get a warm feeling from all this.

But what you are missing is that the speaker mfg. is going to Paradigm. At least this is a company with some expertise.

Thank you!

Jim,

Your willingness to help solve problems and improve the experience of the people who use ML products really impressed me. I have spread the word at every opportunity about how good a speaker ML makes and how good their customer service is. Thank you!

It would be a different deal if Grado or another Boutique company had bought ML. Not an investment company. I don't get a warm feeling from all this.
I'm missing something here. You would have no problem if a non-speaker company like Grado bought ML (and had to incur huge start-up costs), but you do have a problem with ML being acquired by a company that already does make speakers.

Isn't your statement about the guys from Paradigm building the speakers off a PDF a huge exaggeration? Presumably the powers that be would get the current builders to train Paradigm in the new facility.

I'm missing something here. You would have no problem if a non-speaker company like Grado bought ML (and had to incur huge start-up costs), but you do have a problem with ML being acquired by a company that already does make speakers.

Isn't your statement about the guys from Paradigm building the speakers off a PDF a huge exaggeration? Presumably the powers that be would get the current builders to train Paradigm in the new facility.

Grado was used as an example of a Hi End oriented company, that I was using as an example. Perhaps not the clearest example. Paradigm is not the owner here AFAIK. It's a philosophy thing. Grado was originally a SQ oriented HI End company, like when Joe ran it, perhaps I could have said Sound Labs.

I'm not impressed by Paradigm, that's my opinion of course. Sure, the PDF is an exaggeration, again to make a point that the wisdom and talent of ML seems to be "Dust in the Wind".

There seems to be a few schools of thought here, those who see Sunshine and Rainbows, and then the others...

I'm worried I won't get panels for my Monoliths in the future. If I get some in the next 6 months say, will they be good/same quality as before?

Change causes worry, big change causes big worry.

I have a set of Monoliths, a set of Aerius i's, a Logos, and a set of Scripts, so I'm concerned.

ah what the heck.. old threads never die.... so - when you speak of 'Sunshine and Rainbows and then the others..' I think the 'S & R' camp is really the 'wait and see' camp - which some folks have decided means that we are being completely oblivious to what is OBVIOUSLY going on... I'm being sarcastic of course. The S & R camp is not jumping off any bridges yet - and certainly not making any assumptions like '...the talent pool has been fired...' so now the company must obiously be going down the toilet.

I find it ironic - that in threads like this we have people writing about ML quality and how it will be sorely missed -- and in other threads we have the same people discussing the lousy quality of their panels... which were put together by the same quality personnel ... the talent pool (manufacturing,design etc..) ...we speak of here....

My feeling is that the jury is still out - and the quality of the panels is the same as it has EVER been. And I still think that is pretty good. I don't expect my MLs to last my lifetime and I don't expect my electronics to last my lifetime ... If my panels go after 15 years .... off to a new journey to try and find something better....That is my take on it at least.

If you want your Monoliths to sound as they once did - call up ML - get the dope on the warranty of the new panel you purchase - and decide whether it is worth it...if you are feeling froggy about the panel quality. You could even ask them where your panels will be manufactured - or if they all ready have some on hand.

ah what the heck.. old threads never die.... so - when you speak of 'Sunshine and Rainbows and then the others..' I think the 'S & R' camp is really the 'wait and see' camp - which some folks have decided means that we are being completely oblivious to what is OBVIOUSLY going on... I'm being sarcastic of course. The S & R camp is not jumping off any bridges yet - and certainly not making any assumptions like '...the talent pool has been fired...' so now the company must obiously be going down the toilet.

I find it ironic - that in threads like this we have people writing about ML quality and how it will be sorely missed -- and in other threads we have the same people discussing the lousy quality of their panels... which were put together by the same quality personnel ... the talent pool (manufacturing,design etc..) ...we speak of here....

My feeling is that the jury is still out - and the quality of the panels is the same as it has EVER been. And I still think that is pretty good. I don't expect my MLs to last my lifetime and I don't expect my electronics to last my lifetime ... If my panels go after 15 years .... off to a new journey to try and find something better....That is my take on it at least.

If you want your Monoliths to sound as they once did - call up ML - get the dope on the warranty of the new panel you purchase - and decide whether it is worth it...if you are feeling froggy about the panel quality. You could even ask them where your panels will be manufactured - or if they all ready have some on hand.

I've never referred to the quality or history of their panels as being bad before.

The original founders are gone. They are getting rid of a lot of the people who work there. They were acquired by an acquisition Company.

I'm sure things will be great!

Many of us own vintage (read ancient) speakers and they require TLC. The company is not going to support these ancient speakers much longer. So either get new equipment or stop whining and learn how to fix the old equipment or find someone that will fix them.

Many of us own vintage (read ancient) speakers and they require TLC. The company is not going to support these ancient speakers much longer. So either get new equipment or stop whining and learn how to fix the old equipment or find someone that will fix them.

Pretty much what I'm doing here, except for the whining part of course. Sorry if I was standing in your Sunbeam.

:D

Has anyone received a definitive statement from ML as to what panels they will continue to make going forward?

That might be a good thing to actually pressure them for. Then, you would know how to proceed.

Has anyone received a definitive statement from ML as to what panels they will continue to make going forward?

That might be a good thing to actually pressure them for. Then, you would know how to proceed.

i've asked several times on a number of threads. ones that Justin (from ML) follows and on which has posted.

no answer. my only conclusion is that they don't know, or they know that the answer won't go over well. Neither bodes well.

Jim Power is retiring. Apparently.

Haha!! This thread is becoming funnier. Maybe it's the bottle of wine. And Jeff nobody knows but everyone speculates - usually in a fairly negative way. Wake up Jeff can't you see the writing on the wall? I digress. :D

I didn't say Jim built panels. I said the talent pool was fired.

Please explain what "talent" (other than JP) you mean and provide proof positive (specific individuals and what they did) to support your statement that "the talent pool was fired".

Last edited:
Haha!! This thread is becoming funnier. Maybe it's the bottle of wine.
I'm trying to determine if it's you or Justin (whom you quoted) who is under the influence :)

Is it not strange? I paid about $4k for my ML's about 10 years ago, and probably about the same for my PC at that time. The PC has long since been relegated to what Justin would call the rubbish bin, but we expect to bequeath our ML's to our children's children's children.

Last edited:
Back