Jim Power is RETIRING!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people who own ML speakers don't know who Jim Powers is because things run smoothly 99.9 % of the time.

That's generally true and the nature of customer service. It's a tough job to address and resolve customer issues or disappointments. ML had a reputation for going above and beyond to keep the customer happy and resolve problems within reason.

He and his team have been consistently there for the customer not only when they had a problem but also took the time to answer a question, make recommendations on buying decisions or give advice when asked. There's record of his excellent service on this forum going back since this forum started. I'll bet it's quite a few more than 0.1% who know about ML's customer service reputation.

Last edited:
Hey Jim, As someone who has experienced the "downsizing", in my case, "we have eliminated your position" this past December, I can tell you that life gets better! You wonder how you had time to do all those things that you are doing now in the past.

While I have never had the pleasure of dealing with you and your support, I can say that the most consistent theme throughout the forums here is the guys genuine appreciation and support of you.

I wish you well and keep your eyes and heart open... as they say, when one door closes, another opens... as long as we are paying attention. it has for me and I wish the same for you.

now get busy on that honey do list! kidding... enjoy some well earned time off....

cheers,
Angela

JP info on ML website

So the question for ML Corporate is this?

How long are you going to keep his information on your website?

Seems a bit disingenuous and hypocritical now that he's been fired, oops I mean downsized.

GG

Gordon,

I believe in the first post Tom said, "It was recently announced that our dear friend Jim Power, the head of Customer Service at MartinLogan, is retiring at the end of March."

So my guess is that you will have your answer toward the end of next week, maybe, maybe not.

And Gordon please don't think I am singling you out, because I am not. But I know just about everyone has had their chance to rant on ML in this thread, including me, but I am now also inclined as are others, that based on Jim's recent response to all this and his desire to do no harm to ML that maybe, just maybe, we can start to keep this thread on topic which was, "Please take a couple of minutes to post a 'Thank You' to Jim here"

Hello,
It really does break my heart that in this instance, "retiring" is a euphemism for being fired. The things that made this Company special are being disintegrated. Now they make pairs of Speakers that cost about the same as the nifty Denim Martin Logan Button Down Long Sleeved Shirt they used to sell.
Cheers,
JJ

I would, first of all, thank Jim for his support. I had a question some time ago, asked him and got the answer back within hours. Sad to see you go Jim, I wish you best of luck in your private sphere and in your further career.

Just like everyone else, I am also very unpleasantly surprised with some announcements from ML corporate (e.g. panel availability in the future).

While thinking about this all a sudden thought occurred: what if ... the ML actually experiences the consequences of the crisis? It seems to have hit the high end audio market badly (we`re talking luxury items here?) and we have witnessed some companies either selling out or going out of business in last year. ML seem to have resisted for some time - what if they have hit the wall and are really forced to do it?

I`d really like consider all options before jumping to any conclusion.

I`d really like consider all options before jumping to any conclusion.

Good point -- But I for one would like to hear something from those @#&*^$#* corporate dudes that seem to cowering or at least avoiding us and our concerns. :mad:

It is well past time for them to "belly up to the bar" and respond or at least acknowledge our issues.

Don't know alot about this except I left a message for Jim once. Never got a call back maybe because someone else fielded the call. Maybe it was just one of those days.

Just the fact they sent me to his voice mail says he was involved and cared.
I should try again and say hello with some of my questions. I wish him well too.

FYI, I sent Jim a private email today, and received the following auto-reply, which I am reluctantly sharing...

As of March 26, 2010, Jim Power, Service Manager is no longer with Martin Logan. I wish to thank all the well wishers who have inquired about my future. It has been a pleasure working with you.
For service issues, please contact either Melodie or Dana. Here are their email addresses.
xxxxxx@martinlogan.com
xxxxxx@martinlogan.com

Sorry for the inconvenience and happy listening.

I just wanted to take a moment and share with you all something I am sure most of you are aware of, but maybe have forgotten. The people who truly make up Martin Logan, the actual workers of Martin Logan, are not the people who have been pulling the strings and making the decisions as of late. I completely understand the outpouring of emotion over the recent announcements, trust me, they are even more intense for the people most affected by these decisions...those losing their jobs, and those keeping them as well. I just want to point out that your frustrations and anger need to be pointed north to the heartless, greedy leadership of Shoreview and the president of Paradigm/ML. The only halfway comforting thought in all of this is that the general purpose of equity companies is to buy up smaller companies, pretty them up on paper and then sell them. So, let's all hope that happens and Shoreview actually sells to a group of individuals or company that actually care about the industry we are in and about the wonderful products that Martin Logan has always produced. Until that time, rest assured that those employees that are left are continuing to make sure that the manufacturing done at Paradigm is up to the Martin Logan quality that this company has always been known for. Also, in the meantime, if you want to relay your displeasure of the current events, direct your letters and emails to Shoreview and Tim Valters, as you are only speaking to the choir when you direct them to Kansas.

Indeed...

I wish Jim all the best. He really was the true "face" of the company IMHO.

Tom, I went through a very similar and painful experience during the German takeover of DHL. Back when it happened, all I could think about was hanging on no matter what. it was tough to wrap my head around a 17 year carreer going to "waste", despite the lying, the back room deals, the underhandedness of the whole experience was tormenting. Today, I feel quite differently. I'm so much happier where I am now that I can kick myself for not bolting when given the first chance.

Hang in there,
Ray

Dave, I believe Devin is already gone...

I tried getting a hold of him prior to AXPONA and got no reply.

Hey Rich, FWIW, I sent an email to Devin Zell yesterday asking him for clarification, as of
this AM no response, as soon as I get something I'll forward it

I thought all the Marketing and Sales people either shipped out to canada or were out of the picture.

No, just the opposite, they're all still in Lawrence, Ks

I just got off the phone with Devin, yes, he's bummed with respect to Jim just like the rest of us. So as it's been said many time so far on this thread......it is what it is and time will tell how Martin Logan makes out.

lets hope for the best.

Well, this is a revoltin' thread to read! I have an original pair of Monoliths that need the panels replaced. I may look at trying to rejuvenate the orig. panels as well.

Should I even trust buying panels from them now?

Jim was always a class act to deal with on the phone and was exactly who you would want to represent your company if you could design your on employees.

They've definitely "Jumped the Shark". IMHO though, they did this quite a while ago with their product line. That's why I thought I should research getting some panels, just haven't felt good about their direction for some time. Now I get this thread, and it's definitely a stake thru the heart.

Back