Issue with Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBL

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I've been breaking in my new MLs and I've run into a strange issue. One of the Summits 'pops' everyone couple of minutes. When I took a closer look and listen, it seems that the 'pop' seems to be directly related to the front woofer cutting out and then coming back on (the pop occurs at the time the woofer comes back on after being off for about a second). I also noticed that the status light on the back of the Summit goes off in sync with the woofer going off and coming back on. The bottom firing woofer and the panel don't seem affected. This continues to occur even after turning off the pre-amp and amp so I'm ruling out those components for now.

If anyone has run into this before and/or anyone has any suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. - I noticed that after the Summit goes into Standby mode, the status light turns red (in place of off) for a second or so before changing back to amber (and the popping continues). It has been doing this since going into standby mode a while ago.

Last edited:
You must exclude certain parts of your system.

1. The electrical circuit. Try plugging the Summit affected to another outlet/circuit.
2. The speaker itself. Try switching the speakers (L,R).
3. Preamp/amp. I was going to suggest switching L and R.

Joey V,

Thanks for your suggestions. It's going to take some doing because of the way in which I have these setup, but I will try each of those in the next few days. I also noticed that the backplate on the one doing this is much warmer than the other Summit. Since the manual indicates that the 'red' status might relate to overheating, I'm wondering if that may be the issue. Although it's a bit odd to me that if it is overheating that only the front woofer would be affected.

Joey V,

Thanks for your suggestions. It's going to take some doing because of the way in which I have these setup, but I will try each of those in the next few days. I also noticed that the backplate on the one doing this is much warmer than the other Summit. Since the manual indicates that the 'red' status might relate to overheating, I'm wondering if that may be the issue. Although it's a bit odd to me that if it is overheating that only the front woofer would be affected.
First of all, AFAIK, the Summit has an amp for each woofer, so one could be OK and one not. Second, the symptoms you report indicate you could have an intermittant 'open' or an intermittant short (in a power circuit, not in a signal circuit). Because of the heat, I lean toward the short. The best thing to do is call ML and find out if you can easily remove amp(s) so you don't have to send the whole speaker back.

You could try switching power cords, outlets, etc. but I really think it's in the speaker's electronics.

Last edited:
Thanks nsgarch. I will call ML early next week and see what their suggestion is.

Summits issues

The Summits are complicated and I had a similiar issue. It was resolved by connecting both Summits to the same power filter block as the power amp.

It sounds like the speaker is going into protect mode. The light turning red indicates an improper condition. NSGARCH is correct that the Summit has two internal amps, one for each woofer. However, they are considered one component and are removed and replaced as a single unit if they need to be replaced.

Its best to call ML Customer Service as soon as possible.

1. Be sure to double check all your speaker connections to ensure everything is parallel and nothing is crossed or loose.
2. Make sure you don't have a faulty speaker cable (loose internal connection)
3. What amplifier are you using? The early Summit models were not compatible with digital amplifiers. If this is the case, ML can provide you with an internal circuit board you can swap out to make your speakers compatible with digital amplifiers.
4. You can swap the left and right speaker to see if the problem follows the speaker.
5. Could be a loose connection to the woofer or power line or ground to the internal amp
6. Since you are in France, are you by any chance using American spec speakers? If so they won't work properly with anything other than 110/120 volts 60 Hz power.
7. You may have a defective or damaged internal amplifier. If so, ML has the ability to support you with a new Summit amp module you can easily replace at home in about 30 minutes with basic tools.

Hopefully, it is something simple. If not then these speakers are easy to repair by simply replacing the faulty component once you identify it. If you need to open the cabinet then you may want to take a look on the DIY section.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

Good luck
Craig

Back