Isis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
I'm curious what others think about our pending strikes against ISIS? My purpose isn't a discussion of what has led to this point, be it either the Bush war on Iraq or the removal of all troops from Iraq, but rather what should or shouldn't be done now and going forward.

I myself don't really have a strong opinion at this time as to whether we should escalate an engagement or not, but I'll support the president knowing I might not be privy to all the information our leaders might have available. I do have a bit of a 'gut feeling', that perhaps the president might be reacting more to the recent foreign policy polls, rather than his own convictions, but I hope not. The American public certainly hasn't had much of an appetite for getting involved in foreign affairs when it comes to defense, but that seemed to change when the two beheadings occurred and with ISIS saying this is what we can expect in the future on our own turf. I don't think an American shift in attitude, based almost entirely upon the decapitation of two journalists, is a reason for a war effort.

Also, knowing Obama is strongly against having "boots on the ground", what should happen if missiles and drone attacks do little to stop ISIS? Would we give up or would we at that time send in forces for a ground offensive?

There is a part of me that also thinks perhaps our best option would be to save money spent on an attack overseas, and instead use it here at home to better guard against inside attacks and even become less dependent upon foreign energy. I have no doubt that there are already groups here in the US planning attacks on our own soil, and that it is way to easy for terrorists to arrive on our shores. But some of the best methods to prevent this from occurring also requires that we probably relax some of the freedoms and rights we enjoy as Americans, not that we haven't already done so. The only thing I know with any certainty is that there is no easy answer....... if there even really is one.

Obama's current approach seems rational. It will be critical to get nearby neighbors to buy in with troops etc. A cooperative agreement does not seem far fetched. Key will be to cut off Isis source of cash.

I would think Europe buy in important

If none of this works and Middle East oil is not important to to the US and or Europe we will need to reconsider.

I would go it slow and patient in the meantime .

And then there is the Eastern bloc of countries etcetera
Tough time to be president.

Back