Is it risky to buy an old martin logan?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Reaction score
1-Like the sl3? I know it's possible to find them cheap.
2-Is it better to go to the aerius, aerius i?

3-If something broke? is it easy to find replacement? Being used, they will probably not be from an autorised dealer!

What i would love would be the summit but i might go for the vantage.

But first , can you give me your opinion on my question?
Thank you

p.s. my listening room is 27'(L) x17'(W) x 13 '(H)

That is a pretty big listening room...bigger and with more power will be better. I would think that ReQuest, Odyssey, Prodigy, Summit and maybe CLS IIz's w/ a sub would be your best choices for that room...

I am sure others will have different opinions.

:Welcome:

A little confused here... so are you asking if it's ok to buy a used Vantage vs an SL3 or Aerius?

My opinion?

An old ML is ok as long as you communicate well with the seller and are sure you are getting a functioning unit. Most ML speakers will last beyond a decade or more, so it's just like any other speaker in that respect. But, with more parts and electronics in an ML vs say a conventional speaker, there is always that very slight possibility of a break down.

If you are able to score a good used pair of Vantages, that would probably be a great way to get in the ML world and you can keep your pair indefinitely for a decade or more! If you get an older ML, you may be forced (whether due to repair or pure upgraditis itch) to a newer model, thereby negating whatever you saved in the initial purchase.

Just something to think about.

Joey

Thanks for your answers. When i was talking about the Vantage, i was not thinking used! For the odyssey and prodigy..well there's always the WAF.

Vantage and summit would me less scary for her. She's only 5'1 so speaker taller than her...

i already have a dog who weights more than she does and is just 1 yo!

Thanks for your answers. When i was talking about the Vantage, i was not thinking used! For the odyssey and prodigy..well there's always the WAF.

Vantage and summit would me less scary for her. She's only 5'1 so speaker taller than her...

i already have a dog who weights more than she does and is just 1 yo!

I understand the WAF problems with the larger speakers. But for the size of the room you are talking about, I think you will get much more satisfying sound from a larger speaker like the Odyssey or Prodigy, if buying used. For new, Summits would be best, followed by Vantages. The advantage of the newer models is the size of the speakers are smaller for the amount of sound they put out. So the initial cost is more, but you get more sound from a smaller package than buying the older models.

From the experiences of many people on this forum, I would say you are pretty safe buying Martin Logan used. They have excellent customer support for old products and you can easily buy replacement panels if one fails. Of course, normal precautions apply. Check the seller out, audition the speakers if you can. Be wary of someone trying to unload a defective pair. This is all true no matter what brand you buy.

I bought a used pair of SL3s from a guy that was incredibly fastidious about everything he owned. I knew they were in good hands so I didn't worry about them. They function fine and new panels are $500 so I figured I'd be able to have them for a long time.

You definitely want to listen to a SL3 vintage vs. a newer Vantage because the changes in the panels produce a different listening experience and you may love one but hate the other.

I have a listening room almost as big as yours but with lower 8' ceiling. I find that my Sequel IIs (Predecessor to SL3) can play pleny loud in there with ~350w per side.

As for buying used. I bought mine a little over 6 months ago and they are original 1989 Sequel IIs. They still sound terrific. I'm sure they are due for a panel replacement soon but I'm getting my money's worth and then some.

1-Like the sl3? I know it's possible to find them cheap.
2-Is it better to go to the aerius, aerius i?

3-If something broke? is it easy to find replacement? Being used, they will probably not be from an autorised dealer!

What i would love would be the summit but i might go for the vantage.

But first , can you give me your opinion on my question?
Thank you

With proper placement, SL3's should work just fine in that room. I would go used and put more $'s into the equipment to drive them. When I had SL3's, I had them in room that size for a period of time. Your room is probable better. My room was closer to a square. SL3's lit-up with good equipment would be better thant Summit or Prodigies with mediocre equipment.

I am on my second pair on used ML's. No problems to date. Buy local or from someone with good feedback. I Sold my SL3's to a buddy of mine. I came out ahead $ wise on my SL3 to CLS upgrade. Just as with cars, I'll never by new.

In fact, I just bought a new, used pair of skis for a fraction of the cost of a brand new pair. $250 for a near mint pair Atomic - Sugar Daddies w/bindings. The saved $'s should get me up and down the mountain a few times. Can't wait to try them out. Finally going new school - 210's to 183's.

Aerius would probably be a bit small for your room but the SL3s should be fine. When buying used, ensure the speakers are working (obviously) and the panel is not being drowned out by the woofer. You may need to eventually replace the panels which can be expensive, but they are readily available from ML, so factor in the cost of doing so. You can check when the panels were replaced (if they ever were) by using the "Serial number decode" on this website. You shouldn't have too many problems unless you are unlucky.

Slightly newer is the Asccent which would most likely work well in your room too - don't forget this model which you may be able to pick up at a good price too. Depending on whether the owner smoked and how the panels have been looked after, an old Ascent may be due for panel replacement too, but you are getting a generation newer speaker than the SL3.

Is it risky to buy an old Martin Logan?

daniel, (a newbie since April 05??) Look at my system, #125, and see the Ascents which were purchase used. My room is a little larger than yours, but when I crank up everything and the Velodyne woofer starts pumping, I know I made the right choice. The bottom line is what will make you happy and not what might be popular or look good to others. You're paying for it, so be good to your ears. Why not audition the Summits?

HI
I did heard the sl3 a few years back. The sound was beautiful. 3 years ago i heard the statement...incredible.

I should listen to both vantage and summit soon. As soon as i have time to do.
I know there will be festival du son de Montreal in april.

As for my wife she did saw the sl3 and found them beautiful.

So it will depend on what i find.

I was in the idea to buy one pair of logan few month ago, but i had to replace my cartridge who was broken. I bought a clearaudio moving coil with a lehman black cube. expensive but worth it!

i always plan to buy something at one particular date, but it always happen sooner than plan. I wonder why?

Funny story about used MLs. I was looking at the electronics section on craigslist last week and what did I see? A pair of ML ReQuests for $1200. The ad listed a cell phone number and a name. I called the guy to inquire about them. He said that he was moving and wanted to downgrade in the process. He had been the second owner and had bought them cheap from a friend that ran into some money trouble several years ago. Several people had already called about these. I decieded to go check them out, as $1200 for ReQuests seemed like a steal.

Wow was I disapointed when I got there. Not only were they in pretty roug shape, I assumed that he damaged them due to his choice in amplification. He had rigged himself a little HT, using the Requests as mains, a Sanyo boombox speaker as a center, and a little set of some small sat speakers from a HTIB as rears. All this was run off a $100 sony reciever, well two actually. He had the sub out on the avr going to the other reviever's CD input and powering the woofers on the requests. Needless to say I did not buy these, but was amazed that me managed to play them as loud as he did and for as long as he has without frying that reviever.

Back