Is it really an upgrade?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danvu

Reaction score
I was browsing audiogon and ran into this post
"Sell a pair of ML Spire to upgrade/trade to B&W Diamond series"

I can't help but ask 'Is this guy crazy? How can the B&W 802D (what he is considering) better than the Spire?" I actually compared side by side a pair of B&W 800D (connected with better equipments) against a pair of Ethos and Summit X in the same room at Magnolia. Even the Ethos had better mid range (lustier and fuller body) and the Summit X smoked the 800D. The 802D was in the same room but being one model down from the 800D, I didn't even bother trying it.

I remember someone here said that his neighbor had a pair of 802D and was no where near his Montis, which is the successor of the Spire. Just want to see if other members have experienced the same and agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion I really like the Diamond B&Ws. If I didnt own or couldn't own ML's (for some strange reason haha) I would absolutely buy the B&Ws. I am a fan, but upgrade? I think that is entirely subjective so getting a definitive answer is difficult.

I am a fan, but upgrade? I think that is entirely subjective so getting a definitive answer is difficult.

agreed, and I too have listened exstensively to B&W products over the years

i agree if i had not heard my Summits i would in a minute buy the 802D's. they are really impressive.

Yeah, I agree with all that B&W Diamonds speakers are good. I also considered the 804s before knowing about the deal on the vistas and buying them. I just don't think moving from Spires to 802Ds is an upgrade, more like a lateral move or even a slight downgrade. It's just that with ML speakers you just have to be a little more careful and selective when choosing electronics to go with them (well, but at this level, who isnt :)). It's probably better to change the electronics to improve the system and get the best out the spires.

Btw, with comparable equipment, my Vistas sound much better than my cousin's 804s. I'm happy that made the right choice. :)

There are plenty of phenomenal sounding box speakers that "disappear", so it's ridiculous to discount every box speaker, IMO.

As for B&W vs ML - apples and oranges. Totally different sounds. It's completely subjective. Not to mention the huge variability in sound depending on the equipment and room.....

They're different - not better, but not worse. I personally don't like them, but many people do, and I do like many of the speakers that compete with them. For example, the ADAM Tensor line.

When I purchased my ML's, one of the store owners tried to "encourage" me to buy a pr. of B&W's. I think part of the reason is that they had much more invested in B&W in terms of what was in their various listening rooms and in inventory. When he flipped to the B&W they absolutely sounded "flat" compared to the ML's I had been listening to. It's a matter of taste, sure, but my taste is ML!!

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14619-System-461-(Theos

Back