Is it okay to unplug my EM-ESL when not in use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanbearpig

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I just took delivery of my EM-ESL speakers yesterday. When setting up, I decided to plug them up to the outlets behind my AVR/Amp. These are controlled by the power switch on the AVR. When the AVR turns on, the outlets in the back are then powered. When the unit powers off, so does the outlet/speakers. This was more of a convenience thing and not a necessity.

My understanding is that static charges are necessary and build up over time. Am I harming the speakers by my current setup? Is it not recommended to do what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance guys.

You're not hurting the speakers, your just not really letting them break in and charge up fully. But in general its not that big of a deal.

I would send a note to ML on this... They may have some thoughts positive or negative. I always get concerned with switched plugs. I have had negative experiences in the past where an amp was on a switched outlet and would give a loud thump if someone accidentally shut it down this way. It is not the same as your setup - but, I would send them a note anyway and ask the question.

Back