int amp for Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikroski

Reaction score
Dear all,

my system is very simple
CD Player: CD 303T SACD Professional Version
amp: Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier
speaker: ML Vista

The sound of this set is in the warm side that I love. HK 990 do a good job in term of power.

Any how I still wonder if there is any int amp that has as good power as hk990, sound warm, but has more details in high frequency. Price range from 3000-6000$

Thanks for any input

030.jpg

you gotta be young.....why would one bend that far over for a CD player ?

Hola... I do like a lot Anthem Audio. A Martin Logan sister Company. http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/integrated-amp This integrated amplifier delivers 225/Watts/channel. Also, inside the Anthem, all the electronic components are top quality parts. The sound of it is clean, the bass is robust, the mid range is glare free, and the unit is very fun to use. There are a lot of good products out there, and I assure you that Anthem is one of those that you have to consider as good option!. Happy listening!

With a $6000 budget you can easily afford some awesome separate components. I've always maintained that if you go with an integrated amp, either space is at a severe premium or you just love the simplicity of the amp/pre-amp being in one box. How about the BAT 300x? If you are not opposed to buying used equipment, you can probably land a used Pass. Check out the Rogue Spinx too.

Mikroski, why trade your integrated which incorporates an IMHO highly desirable set of features (flexible EQ, Xover and bass management) for one which does not? Have you set up the EQ function? If yes, and you're looking for more detail @ high frequencies, have you tried dialing up this frequency band using the EQ?

From page 12 of the user manual:
Bass and Treble
Bass and treble adjustment is accessible only when the Audio mode is not direct (i.e., is
set to DSP, EQ 1, EQ 2 or EQ 3). When in this mode, you can adjust the bass and treble
from –10 to +10dB below 100Hz and above 10kHz.

With a $6000 budget you can easily afford some awesome separate components. I've always maintained that if you go with an integrated amp, either space is at a severe premium or you just love the simplicity of the amp/pre-amp being in one box. How about the BAT 300x? If you are not opposed to buying used equipment, you can probably land a used Pass. Check out the Rogue Spinx too.

i agree with Eric, but then I don't know what 3-6k will buy you in Banbkok

You gotta be an old fart to ask a question like that!

DejaVu.......didn't we determine that in another thread !

Last edited:
and to follow up to Ken's post, does your Hk have preouts whereby you can use it as a pre-amp with another stand alone amp ?

Bryston B-60 or B-135.
Thanks Edwin, I will check whether I can audit in my home or not

you gotta be young.....why would one bend that far over for a CD player ?
:D:D:D I had used Marantz SA-11S1 for eight year, then change to SA-11S2. Then my friend send me Cary 303T to try, wow, this is the player that I want. Warm sound, lush, tube like and still have a lot of details. :music:

Hola... I do like a lot Anthem Audio. A Martin Logan sister Company. http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/integrated-amp This integrated amplifier delivers 225/Watts/channel. Also, inside the Anthem, all the electronic components are top quality parts. The sound of it is clean, the bass is robust, the mid range is glare free, and the unit is very fun to use. There are a lot of good products out there, and I assure you that Anthem is one of those that you have to consider as good option!. Happy listening!
Thanks. I will check who is the distributor of Anthem in Bangkok.

Before this set. I had used Vantage + Pre/Power from Krell. The over all sound is in bright side. I also have problem about bass from Vantage. My room is very small 9 x 14. So, I change Vantage to Vista
I had audited BAT 300, good sound but its power is not as good as Krell or HK. I also wish that I can afford Pass, it cost 10,000-15,000$ in thailand :(

You gotta be an old fart to ask a question like that! Thanks for saving me the trouble of asking the question, Dave :)
i agree with Eric, but then I don't know what 3-6k will buy you in Banbkok

DejaVu.......didn't we determine that in another thread !
I want to join that thread :D

Mikroski, why trade your integrated which incorporates an IMHO highly desirable set of features (flexible EQ, Xover and bass management) for one which does not? Have you set up the EQ function? If yes, and you're looking for more detail @ high frequencies, have you tried dialing up this frequency band using the EQ?
Dear RUR, what I need is more details, more harmonics in high frequency. Sound from DAC of HK is not as good as direct path from Cary. I had Vantage + Krell before, so I know that I still miss some details from my existing system.

I use the Vincent SA-T1/SP-T100 pre/power set tto drive my Vantage. great detail, clarity and warmth. HiFi-World gave it a thorough test and measurement a few years back. You can find it online. The pre responds very well to tube-rolling.

I used a Musical Fidelity A300 on my Vistas and it worked very well. It's actually my second A300. It's older yet the sound is marvelous, plus they can be had on avg between 700-900. My Plinius was another excellent choice in integrated but MUCH harder to find.

Last edited:
dig it up to inform that I choose Moon I-7rs. Its sound neither warm nor bright. Smooth and transparent for my ear. :)
035.jpg

Back