Installed a pair of Mondo Traps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I installed a pair of corner Mondo traps in the back of my room and was able to get away with for about 20 seconds after my wife saw them today :eek:

Actually she's OK with them. But I am pushing my luck right about now.

Gosh I wish I had room up front for another pair. I now have eight traps in the living room. 2 HF Minis behind the speakers, 2 tricorners on the floor up front, 2 Micros at the first reflection point and the 2 Mondos in the back.

The Mondo's have smoothed out the bass to an extraordinary level. They are going to require me to adjust the subs again since I'm hearing a bit of fat and bloat now. What is interesting, is I lightly put my hands on the front and back with music playing. I could feel a slight vibration on the front but nothing on the back. So I guess they're working and won't require to much burn-in!

I'm wondering if a pair of Mondo HF's placed on the center of the front would be of benefit at this point. There is no way to cross the corners in the front unless I blow the walls out. Jonathan, any opinion?

Gordon

congrats! 2 up front would really help even out the low end through out the room, but i feel your pain WAF is a hard to master.

I've been listening for a couple hours now and I must say, I waited too long to add these. I had some ringing on a few CDS which is now gone and the presentation seems to have much more body. At first, I only noticed the improvement on the bottom, but as I listen, they are affecting everything.

I think Rich mentioned in the "BIG" thread by Jonathan that he had to bump up the volume a bit and I've found it to be true also.

Gordon

I'm wondering if a pair of Mondo HF's placed on the center of the front would be of benefit at this point. There is no way to cross the corners in the front unless I blow the walls out. Jonathan, any opinion?

Gordon

Gordon, congrats on the new additions and the I'm happy to hear that you are immediately noticing the benefits.

To be able to tell if additional trapping in the middle would be helpful, one would need to know more about the dimensions of the room.

I'd suggest sharing that information and question with the folks at Realtraps, as they have some room mode calculators that could identify how much benefit placing them there would provide.

I bit the bullet and risked the wrath of the war department by ordering another pair of corner Mondo's for the room.

I had moved the two originals to the front between the HF Minis and placed the two new pieces in the rear corners. I should have just ordered four in the first place!

The added bass control will force me to revisit my sub trim levels during the snow storm this weekend! They were set flat for the room without the Mondo's and there is some boom and overhang I have to correct. I'm also finding new things buzzing and vibrating throughout the house which is to be expected. The increase in three dimensionality is very surprising and welcome. The room feels/sounds much larger than it really is.

I'm not certain if my treatment journey is over or not. A near diffuser behind my chair is tempting along with a few more tri-traps for the upper and lower corners.

Gordon

I'm not certain if my treatment journey is over or not. A near diffuser behind my chair is tempting along with a few more tri-traps for the upper and lower corners.

Sounds like a plan, I don't think you can have to much room treatment! ;)

Back