In praise of subwoofers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started a "to sub or not to sub?" thread, asking users about the advisability of adding a sub to my Summits. (I had tried a couple of pretty good subs but wasn't satisfied with the result.) The consensus seemed to be that it was worthwhile assuming that one purchased a good enough sub. I went ahead and bought a Descent i, which I have been breaking in over the past couple of weeks.

I have to tell you that the combination has proven to be sensational. I am thrilled--and a little mystified--by how much better it makes everything (not just the low bass) sound. The only analogy I've been able to come up with is the effect of drawing a black outline around a pastel picture. The contrast makes all of the colors appear that much more vivid. The system was very satisfying before, but now it is stunning. I can hardly believe it. Maybe something else is a factor (the room setup is slightly different, in part to accommodate the sub; the speakers themselves are that much more broken in). Whatever the cause(s), the effect is far beyond my expectations.

So, thanks to those of you who encouraged me to take the leap. The Descent i wasn't cheap, but it has taken this system to the next level. 'Love it!

I know you may not be thinking of it at the moment but it is nice to know that when you do decide to upgrade, the Descent i will integrate perfectly with say the CLXs as well. I guess you now have a future-proof sub, which by the way is exactly how I ended up with CLXs. I got hooked on Summits with a sub and before I knew it bam, CLXs appeared out of no where.:D

Great to hear you’re loving the sub. Congrats!

It definitely can make a big difference to have the ‘right’ level of bass in the room.

The other is that once you relive the mains from pushing so low, the mid-bass clears up a good bit, and I believe that’s worth the investment right there.

The next step is to explore some room treatments to manage all the bass you now have. Because if adding a sub is like outlining a pastel picture, room treatments are like replacing a light shining through bars with a light shining through a frosted glass. Everything is smoother and clearer.

BTW- as nice as the Descent is, you have to hear what a good Infinite Baffle sub can do. Clean, effortless bass that’s as realistic as I’ve ever heard.

Congratulations. I've found a sub makes a huge difference, even on music with no apparent sub-bass content. I'd never be without mine.

I know you may not be thinking of it at the moment but it is nice to know that when you do decide to upgrade, the Descent i will integrate perfectly with say the CLXs as well. I guess you now have a future-proof sub, which by the way is exactly how I ended up with CLXs. I got hooked on Summits with a sub and before I knew it bam, CLXs appeared out of no where.:D

Yes, I know that I'll get the upgrade bug again in a few years. Hopefully, by then there will be a ready supply of used CLXs on the market (e.g., after the CLX i appears!).

How many times have you told your spouse, "Honestly, Honey, this is the last amp/speaker/cable I'll ever buy"? You almost believe it yourself...

I guess that is one way to do it. I find it works better not to tell her, things just appear and disappear and she tends not to notice because she just has no interest. At least that is my story and I am sticking too it.

I guess that is one way to do it. I find it works better not to tell her, things just appear and disappear and she tends not to notice because she just has no interest. At least that is my story and I am sticking too it.

Well, I do think my wife would notice a pair of CLXs in the living room! I can imagine what she'd have to say about that...

sub/xover

cch: can you tell me what you are crossing over from your summits to the Descent sub. I currently have 2 depth's with my Summits crossed over at 40hz. thanks

Congradulations on your sub purchase. The other day when I mentioned upgrading to the JL Audio 113 fathom sub, my wife said ( Is this ever going to end?)

cch: can you tell me what you are crossing over from your summits to the Descent sub. I currently have 2 depth's with my Summits crossed over at 40hz. thanks

I have tried crossing over in the 45-55Hz range. I am still going back and forth, but I'll probably settle on 45Hz. (I like some things about going higher, but it produces a bit too much bass on certain recordings.) I do turn the 50Hz volume down quite a bit, however, and bump up the 25Hz setting.

Hi Stephen,

I didn't say a thing.We all have our vises.Anyway, my wife knows it's my hobby and brings me great pleasure. I guess it's just the thought of the cash outlay.It is hard for someone who really doesn't have a passion for music to understand what a sub woofer upgrade would do.

We recently added a 1080 pj and electric screen to the dedicated room, so my wife is finally enjoying the room and system. Previously when there wasn't the pj, she would never venture in to listen to any music.I love the thread on new members where the wife bought the equipment and the husband was ticked off, hard to beleive.
Cheers

Back