I'm torn... how many of you guys require a true 2ch area?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I'm a little torn, I don't know how to assemble my gear.

Currently, I have my speakers combined with my LCD - but the more I think about it, I wonder if I would benefit from removing the speaker system from the LCD display and having it in its own little area?

Purely as a means for musical escape..?

Having the speakers with the TV is nice too though - it allows for xbox 360 playing, dvd watching, and of course music appreciation. However, I think it detracts from the purity of the 2ch system. If I separate the 2, I can't have a good system for the TV, but my audio gear will be happier on its own little area.

I dunno, I just wanted to let some of my thoughts out...

Thanks for listening, fellas.

Joey

Joey, my 2-channel system is separate from my TV, but in the same room. To me, HT is a $200 DVD player hooked up to my Sony 20" TV. I'm happy. I prefer to spend my money on the best 2-channel I can afford.

HT has no place with my Logan's. I run a small Sony HT system with my Sunfire sub and its fine! MY 2 channel is Dedicated !

I wish I had the space for a dedicated, pure two-channel setup, but don't. I think that is the case for a lot of us. Frankly, I welcome the challenge of creating a stellar Stereo/Home Theater setup in a combined Family/Listening Room. It's hard work, having to deal with furniture, the HDTV, room acoustics and decor, kids, wife, etc. Joey, if you think it's tough now, just wait!!

Man.... it is tough. I dont know what to do.

I'm going ot mull it over - I'm also going to post pics when I get the chance so you fellas can help me out.

Joey

Likewise, I can only WISH I had the space for a dedicated 2-channel room! I have my plasma in the same room as my precious 'Logans and it is to the detriment of their sound quality and my relaxation when I'm trying to listen.

If you can put your music in a separate area, go ahead and be the envy of me (and a few others).

Wish I could, but reality dictates combining the two. The truth is I don't see it as a compromise and the plasma is wall mounted and doesn't really detract from the audio. Besides movies need good sound too, in fact movie sound is some of the most impressive and contains the everyday sounds that require realistic reproduction IMO.

I'm a little torn, I don't know how to assemble my gear.

Currently, I have my speakers combined with my LCD - but the more I think about it, I wonder if I would benefit from removing the speaker system from the LCD display and having it in its own little area?

Having the speakers with the TV is nice too though - it allows for xbox 360 playing, dvd watching, and of course music appreciation. However, I think it detracts from the purity of the 2ch system. If I separate the 2, I can't have a good system for the TV, but my audio gear will be happier on its own little area.

Joey

It can be done! But, you've got to have two preamps, one for HT and one for 2CH. You just have to manually switch speaker leads from HT system to 2CH system or vice versa when using the same front speakers.

It can be done! But, you've got to have two preamps, one for HT and one for 2CH. You just have to manually switch speaker leads from HT system to 2CH system or vice versa when using the same front speakers.

Not so if your two-channel preamp has a home theater bypass option.

Joey, I have a dedicated room that serves as both a two-channel listening room and a multichannel home theater room and I promise you the two channel does not suffer. Part of the reason for this is that I have a projection screen rather than a LCD or Plasma, so the effect of the screen on the audio is negligible. I have the room well-treated with acoustic treatments and my rack is only two feet tall so it doesn't affect the acoustics too much either.

I enjoy having the ability to watch something on TV with the program sound muted and playing my stereo instead. It gives something for my eyes to do while my ears are listening. I don't always listen like this, but it is nice sometimes. And for me there is no substitute for having my main system in full force on movies, games, and especially music DVD's. An eight foot screen just kind of demands a fine sound system to go with it.

If you can't do a full scale theater with a projection screen though, I can understand the idea of separating out the T.V. from the main music system. You will just have to figure out which works best for you in your new place.

You know guys, Rich keeps talkin' about all this fancy schmancy gear he's got, but have any of you seen it? I know I haven't. I think he's really just a troll. He's here to spew all kinds of stuff about this gear and that but I'll bet he's listening to a 15 year old Bose lifestyle system and watching a 9" black and white tv with a coat hanger for an antenna.

:rolleyes:

He is of corse correct yet again, it's very possible to blend a great 2 channel system with a great home theater system and do it without having to swap any leads or any such thing so long as your pre-amp has a Home Theater Bypass. Set your multi-channel levels once and you never have to mess with them again. In my old house that's exactly what I did and it worked very well.

On the other hand, in my new house I have the 2 channel setup in a different room now and I'm very happy having my own space for sitting and listening to music only.

As I'm building my true dedicated room I vascilate between going for the full tilt home theater (as I can only imagine Rich has done) or keep it limited to music only (although most likely multi-channel so why not just go all the way and add video right?). I do know this, if you maximize on the quality of your sound regardless of whether you add video capability or not, you will have great sound for movies.

Last edited:
My $.02: For those of you that have a significant other, it sure makes things a heck of a lot easier if you make your area for multi-channel A/V and stereo. I can't even imagine if I had all this gear solely for the purpose of entertaining one set ears (mine). I love to have the ability for her and I (or other friends) to watch a movie just as easy as I can sit in the dark and critically listen to my favorite CD. If you can make two areas, that is great. But for most of the population if you can find one relatively large, rectangular room to stick thousands of dollars worth of ML speakers and associated equipment, you are ahead of the curve.

If thats the goal -- then perhaps all escape routes that include music should be routed via that very fine system of yours?

For me, I tried the video, surround etc {without the Summits} and found that there wasn't much point in watching TV-- as the sound did not compare.

{Summit driven 2 channel was preferred to surround}

Best Regards

You know guys, Rich keeps talkin' about all this fancy schmancy gear he's got, buy have any of you seen it? I know I haven't. I think he's really just a troll. He's here to spew all kinds of stuff about this gear and that but I'll bet he's listening to a 15 year old Bose lifestyle system and watching a 9" black and white tv with a coat hanger for an antenna.

ROAD TRIP !! We have to go visit Rich to bear witness to his system. At this stage I don't know if I would believe pictures ! :rolleyes:

I can't think of anything more boring than a dedicated room to two channel. The hobby is lonely enough with having to be sequestered in a room by yourself. That's my 2 cents...

I can't think of anything more boring than a dedicated room to two channel. The hobby is lonely enough with having to be sequestered in a room by yourself. That's my 2 cents...

I agree completely. I enjoy my system playing more than playing with my system, and having music complement the daily things in life beats a focused devotion to the equipment.
Just my $.02

You know guys, Rich keeps talkin' about all this fancy schmancy gear he's got, but have any of you seen it? I know I haven't. I think he's really just a troll. He's here to spew all kinds of stuff about this gear and that but I'll bet he's listening to a 15 year old Bose lifestyle system and watching a 9" black and white tv with a coat hanger for an antenna.

Damn You, MiTT! I had them all fooled until you came along and spilled the beans! And that coat hanger is not my antenna -- that's my interconnect (I upgraded from Monster!).

I was just waiting for my two-year anniversary on this forum to post my system. Actually, that's coming up pretty soon. Maybe the three-year anniversary then. Or five.

Of course, Bernard, you are welcome to come experience the majesty of my system anytime. Alabama is especially nice this time of year (as long as you like 99 degrees fahrenheit with 70% humidity). :devil:

Who said anything about the room being able to accomodate only one person?

I'm talking about building a dedicated room that will focus on sonics, but it will certainly be able to seat more than just myself. We're going to have a little wine cellar/bistro area off to the side of ours, and a dart board and that sort of thing. I'll probably have 2 rows of seating, I'm thinking seating for 7 or so.

Granted, much of the time I may be front and center by myself. I like to get up early/stay up late listening to music fairly often, my wife sometimes prefers to sleep. But I don't believe a dedicated room equates to isolation.

Who said anything about the room being able to accomodate only one person?

I'm talking about building a dedicated room that will focus on sonics, but it will certainly be able to seat more than just myself. We're going to have a little wine cellar/bistro area off to the side of ours, and a dart board and that sort of thing. I'll probably have 2 rows of seating, I'm thinking seating for 7 or so.

Granted, much of the time I may be front and center by myself. I like to get up early/stay up late listening to music fairly often, my wife sometimes prefers to sleep. But I don't believe a dedicated room equates to isolation.

I can't think of anyone except perhaps my son who would want to sit in a room with me and listen to music. Not even my wife. Certainly not any of my buddies.

I can't think of anyone except perhaps my son who would want to sit in a room with me and listen to music. Not even my wife. Certainly not any of my buddies.

That's too bad, they don't know what they're missing.;)

So obviously in your case, and I'm certain many, many others here, it makes the most sense to integrate your video into the overall solution so that the system serves multiple purposes and you can enjoy it all. I still say though that if you maximize based upon good sound for music, movies will sound great as a result of that effort. Your own system is certainly a very high end audio system that also happens to play movies extreemly well.

Back