If it was your cash.......

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
, my current thought process would be to put your major investment into your amp.

In a sense, by sticking with the current amp (which is basically a lovely natural sound, albeit with bass that lacks the clarity of the mids & highs) I'm trying to do that - I don't end up upgrading an item twice this way. I'm also limited as to how much rack space I have, a position I'm stuck with until we move. So to my mind, getting speakers first (which I know will be keepers) & then auditioning a range of amps with the Logans providing the stable factor should be fun. Don't worry, it'll be done, just not in Joey Time
And this way, our HT room gets a pair of Mosaics instead of some rather elderly Mission 752s:D

Regards all
Magoo

Last edited:
Well the deed is now done & the Vantages have been ordered:cool:
Dark Cherry & black rails & allegedy delivered on Friday morning:D

That money lasted in my account about an hour lol!

:cheers: Magoo

Well money in the bank is no fun. If you haven't got it anymore, you have nothing to worry about! Congratulations.

adVantage Magoo

Finally they've arrived, to the sound of a cursing delivery driver;) After an initial hurdle (the power cords belong on the US side of the pond), they're up & running ...........& heck, if thats what they sound like before they're run in, then I'm really looking forward to the next few years of listening:bowdown:

So far, they've already allowed me to hear things on LPs I've had 20 years, Ricki Lee Jones to The Clash..............more impressions to follow & some pics when i get a chance

Regards all
The now beaming from ear to ear Magoo:D

Congrats! Try some concert recordings. I was amazed at what I heard on some live recordings when I got my summits. I could hear some muffled coughs in the audience that I never even imagined were there!

Magoo...

I am very very happy for you! Your Vantages are superb and I'm glad that you're beaming ear to ear!!

So... um... when do the Summits arrive?

Joking... joking!!

Joey :)

Yeah, Hifi World measured the stock one as 25w/16watts which seems a vast difference, and makes me a little suspicious. I'm also unsure whether it would be better to have an amp set up one way or the other (ie triode or linear), rather than trying to be all things to all ears. But the Upscale version seems promising, and as you say, tube rolling opens up possibities I think. In particular, EAT KT88s get a very good write-up in several mags over here. Certainly my experience with the EL34 Unison was good with some cryo Svetlanas.

There is still a small bit of me scanning for used Summits & a repair man thou;)

Greetings, Magoo

I'm just wondering... How did Hi Fi World measure that amp? Was it one channel or both channels driven? Sometimes manufacturers (particularly with tube amps) measure the power output one channel driven at one frequency - say 1Kz. This would probably give the power output that Cary quotes.

So... um... when do the Summits arrive?

Joking... joking!!

Joey :)

Hehe, they're going to need the biggest upgrade of them all first....a new house;) I think the bass improvements already with the Vantages are quite sufficent for my neighbours:D

Now if the Nordost Vishnu that arrived today had actually had the right IEC connector on it I'd be happy as a pig in........still, as Neil Young is currently performing unplugged in my house in the most lifelike way I've yet heard & the sun is shining, can't complain!

Regards
Magoo.

ps: I'll try & find that review & check how they measured the amp.

Latest posts

Back