I met with Mark Shifter, CEO of av123.com, and his take on ML and more

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I wrote a review about his Strata Mini speakers and referenced them to the Martin Logan Summits a while back. Apparently, I did something for his business (cant go into it) that he invited me out to dinner last night at a posh place in Chicago (Keefer is the name of the steakhouse, you can google it) with a few other audiophiles.

This man knows everyone, from Gayle Sanders of ML, David Wilson of Wilson Audio, Albert VS of Von Schweikert, Franco Serbin of Sonus Faber, Matt Polk of Polk Audio, Dennis Had of Cary Audio, Peter Thomson of Plinius (lookie here Papa Dave!), Ed Villchur and Henry Kloss of ARC electronics, JMlabs, Velodyne, Infinity, Marantz, Yamaha, Genesis project, I lost count... etc... etc...

This guy made the Genesis loudspeakers of yesteryore, those $150,000 behemoths. This guy worked for Infinity Audio back when it was a $50,000,000 company since he was 15yo. He headed Audio Alchemy a few years back, he designs speakers for a number of manufacturers (I cant mention).

This guy forgets more about audio than I will ever know! :(

This guy was amazing in every way! What an awe inspiring man to meet! To watch him in action doing his thing and working it with people was just awesome. If I could be 1/1000 as successful as this guy at life, I would be more than set.

Things of note during the night:
1. He has VERY high regards for Martin Logan speakers. He is a dear friend of Gayle and he has been over at his house and listened to the Statement e2s several times. MLS owns several pairs of ML speakers, I think even the Summits.
2. I asked him what the best speaker on the planet was; he said most probably the VR11 beats out the Alexandria X2.
3. I asked him what was the best tube preamp that was affordable to me.... he said, "ARC LS26 bar none." but he also said, "The Cary 98 is a close second."
4. When asked what are the best deals in amplification under $10K, he said "bar none, Plinius for SS Class A. I've talked to Peter of Plinius and what they do is amazing with their SA103/Ref amps."
5. When asked about my system, what's next? (He knows my system inside and out... apparently MLS follows all my posts) He told me that a PowerPlant should be next, and then a CDP/DAC.
6. He taught me about crossovers, speaker design, driver matching, materials used, tubes vs ss, subwoofers, we talked about the ML subs, the Velodyne DD subs, the new JL Audio Gotham subwoofer.
7. I asked him what his favorite combo was... he answered, "I like tubes in the preamp and SS Class A in the amp section. My favorite combo for almost all speakers. Although some speakers benefit from a full tube system."

The guy is amazing and I had an amazing night. He treated us to an awesome dinner that I wouldnt have normally afforded. I think the bill per person had to be about $300-$400 PER person. There was a total of 6 of us. We had 3 bottles of wine (probably $300-400/bottle), we had Lobster bisque soup with real lobster... drool, we had crab cakes with REAL crab (never had that before), we had Ahi Tuna/Filet Mignon x2 for appetizers... drooool, we had a $70 Delmonico Ribeye bone-in...... best steak ever in my life!

Geez... amazing amazing night. I wish you all were with me that night. You guys would've had fun with this particular audiophile!

Picture:
Mark Seaton (bass expert, google him) - Danny (my audiophile friend) - Me - Mark Schifter - Eric (audiophile) and wife
DSC00963.jpg

Truly humbled,
Joey

Last edited:
Papa Dave,

Did you get that about the LS26????

You apparently chose an awesome preamp, my friend. Awesome! :cheers:

Joey

Oooh and he is a wine-o-phile! He taught me about wines and what temperature to keep them at, how to savor the flavor, how to properly do the "wine swirly and smell" thing.

I realized how uncultured I was while at Keefers.... this kid needs to get out into the world more. :( :D

Joey... the budding wine-o-phile!

I wish you all were with me that night.

We were, Joey. We were right there with you.

Thanks for sharing that awesome experience. I am totally psyched for you.

And don't worry about being too uncultured. You are still young. Plenty of time to learn about the finer things in life. I think you actually have a head start on most guys your age. Rock on. :rocker:

Papa Dave,

Did you get that about the LS26????

You apparently chose an awesome preamp, my friend. Awesome! :cheers:

Joey

Sounds like one "SUPER" nite out !! Now were all going to let you take us out in Lawrence next June so as to "share" the knowledge !!

As far as my LS-26 , yes I'm happy as a lark, but the truth is , there's so much great gear amongst all the members on the forum that we all can be happy !!

Joey -

Just for the sake of being correct: Henry Kloss died several years ago. He was the "K" in KLH. He had a hand in Acoustic Research (loudspeakers.) He stated Advent. He was not associated with ARC (Audio Research.) He was one of the true audio pioneers to whom we all owe a large debt. He last work was for Tivoli audio and their line of small. decent-sounding radios.

aliveatfive,
Don't forget Cambridge Soundworks and the one thing I always heard about Henry Kloss, he was a a great gentlemen.

Jeff:musicnote:

Oooh and he is a wine-o-phile! He taught me about wines and what temperature to keep them at, how to savor the flavor, how to properly do the "wine swirly and smell" thing.

I realized how uncultured I was while at Keefers.... this kid needs to get out into the world more. :( :D

Don't get into wine Joey! My dad got into wine and gave up audio! :eek: He sold his speaker rig to pay for his two cellars and the wine inside of it (over 1500 bottles!).

Enjoy Both...

Joey,

You are sure learning from the very best in the audio world. I think, you will remember your audio visit "Night Out with Mark Shifter" for quite a while. This will just add to your over-all audio knowledge and experience. Thanks for sharing the highlights with us Joey. You are a class act kid... :D

Oh and you can enjoy both win-o-phile, while listening and enjoying audiophile. Hey I live in Calistoga, Napa Valley, what can I say so Enjoy both! :p

Joey -

Just for the sake of being correct: Henry Kloss died several years ago. He was the "K" in KLH. He had a hand in Acoustic Research (loudspeakers.) He stated Advent. He was not associated with ARC (Audio Research.) He was one of the true audio pioneers to whom we all owe a large debt. He last work was for Tivoli audio and their line of small. decent-sounding radios.

A5,

Thanks for the lesson.... this is the reason why it's key for me to be there with you guys at the National Meet... learn more and more!

Don't get into wine Joey! My dad got into wine and gave up audio! :eek: He sold his speaker rig to pay for his two cellars and the wine inside of it (over 1500 bottles!).

Whoa!!! Thanks for the warning!!

Joey,

You are sure learning from the very best in the audio world. I think, you will remember your audio visit "Night Out with Mark Shifter" for quite a while. This will just add to your over-all audio knowledge and experience. Thanks for sharing the highlights with us Joey. You are a class act kid... :D

Oh and you can enjoy both win-o-phile, while listening and enjoying audiophile. Hey I live in Calistoga, Napa Valley, what can I say so Enjoy both! :p

Thank you Robin!!! Are we ever going to meet??

Joey

We were, Joey. We were right there with you.

Thanks for sharing that awesome experience. I am totally psyched for you.

And don't worry about being too uncultured. You are still young. Plenty of time to learn about the finer things in life. I think you actually have a head start on most guys your age. Rock on. :rocker:

You're right Rich... you guys were there in spirit! I wish you were there to taste the steak or tell me which fork to use!
:cheers:

That is really cool , to hang out with a true legend in Audio. I had some quality time with Bob Carver about 10 years ago . It was enlightening !

Joey, sounds like a great evening. I have had a similar experience from time to time, and aspire to have that same quality in my life. Being around people who share that real lust for life with others are such a joy to be around. It isn't about the money, or the achievements - those are only artifacts of the confidence that people like this exude in their lives. That's the difference between people who LIVE their lives and people who let life happen around them. Glad you had such a wonderful evening out. :cheers:

Joey -

If you ever have the time, try to get to see the CES in Vegas. You'll have the opportunity to meet with many of the guys (and gals) who designed much of the equipment you listen to. Also, once in a while, some of the high-end stores invite industry personnel to talk to the common folk. Both of these events can be very enjoyable occasions.

Joey -

If you ever have the time, try to get to see the CES in Vegas. You'll have the opportunity to meet with many of the guys (and gals) who designed much of the equipment you listen to. Also, once in a while, some of the high-end stores invite industry personnel to talk to the common folk. Both of these events can be very enjoyable occasions.

When I graduate A5..... in due time...

Thanks!

Joey

and this story end with MLS getting:
20 years probation, 2 years work release, 500 hours of community service

Back