I may not be a music lover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenscollick

Reaction score
Came across the list of nominees for 2010 Grammy nominations. I usually pay no attention to them but It is interesting that I know so few of them. and don't own any of them. There was a catagory for Rap. but I do not consider that music.

Record of the Year

NOMINEES: "Halo," Beyonce; "I Gotta Feeling," The Black Eyed Peas; "Use Somebody," Kings Of Leon; "Poker Face," Lady Gaga; "You Belong With Me," Taylor Swift.

Lady gaga????

Album of the Year

NOMINEES: "I Am ... Sasha Fierce," Beyonce; "The E.N.D.," The Black Eyed Peas; "The Fame," Lady Gaga; "Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King," Dave Matthews Band; "Fearless," Taylor Swift.

Know a few here.

Song of the Year

NOMINEES (songwriters): "Poker Face," Lady Gaga and RedOne; "Pretty Wings," Hod David and Musze; "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)," Thaddis Harrell, Beyonce Knowles, Terius Nash & Christopher Stewart; "Use Somebody," Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill and Nathan Followill; "You Belong With Me," Liz Rose and Taylor Swift.

Pop Vocal Album

NOMINEES: "The E.N.D.," The Black Eyed Peas; "Breakthrough," Colbie Caillat; "All I Ever Wanted," Kelly Clarkson; "The Fray," The Fray; "Funhouse," P!nk.

The Black Eyed peas have been around [but cant name a song] I know that Kelly Clarkston was on Idol but never seen it.

Contemporary R&B; Album

NOMINEES: "I Am ... Sasha Fierce," Beyonce; "Intuition," Jamie Foxx; "The Introduction of Marcus Cooper," Pleasure P; "Ready," Trey Songz; "Thr33 Ringz," T-Pain.

Seen Beyonce cant say I ever heard her sing Is Jamie Foxx the guy that had a TV show?

Country Album

NOMINEES: "The Foundation," Zac Brown Band; "Twang," George Strait; "Fearless," Taylor Swift; "Defying Gravity," Keith Urban; "Call Me Crazy," Lee Ann Womack.

I am not a big fan of country music but I recognise more performers here than any other group.

Also the best selling CD for 2009 was Susan Boyle??? who here bought this???

I just think it means you didn't care for the choices offered...

Personally, I wouldn't have picked any of that stuff either.

Susan Boyle, eeew.

I've heard of only a handful of the names, but I have gotten used to that since I rarely listen to radio for music nowadays. I've always considered the Grammys a joke anyway, even when they were regularly nominating artists with whom I was more familiar.

popular music is terrible, but then popular opinion is that their mp3 player sound incredible so what do you expect.

"The whole music business in the United States is based on numbers, based on unit sales and not on quality. It's not based on beauty, it's based on hype and it's based on cocaine. It's based on giving presents of large packages of dollars to play records on the air." Frank Zappa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0

Without Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", we would have missed out on one of the funniest parts of a South Park episode. So I vote for it. :)

Music is so varied and dependant on taste, how can you single out specific "winners" like they try to do.

It's like saying "I nominate potato as the best food" - well - others' may think otherwise. Same with music.

Its official, I have finally become my father!

I remember riding in the family car and my father cursing mine and my siblings music choices. The fact that he didn't know any of the artists we liked was a foreign concept to me. I swore when I got older I would always be hip by listening to pop music and taking pride in knowing all the hot artists. And then WHAM it hit me, I know almost none of the nominees. So, just call me DAD!

Actually last weekend we had a wine tasting party and after a few bottles my wife asked me to put on Lady Gaga on the 5.1 CLX system and crank it up.

I did and it sounded pretty good, it was hard not to dance with all the women who were going non-stop until the end of the album.

There were girls ranging from 22 to 78 all dancing to Lady Gaga. If nothing else it was interesting to see the contrast.....and it did not hurt to watch the 20 somethings dance:D:D

Without skipping a beat we changed to ZZ Top and the dancing continued on in to the night. The moral to the story.....Maybe if you drink enough wine you may come to like the Grammys:D:D

Ha Ha, Rock on! If the girls are drinking and dancing... It's all good!!!

In Cocoa Beach we call it "Dawn Patrol" but you have to jump naked in the Atlantic when the sun starts to come up...

Lap it up, Yum Yum!

here today and gone tomorrow with very little depth, I think it sucks.I think what may have changed is that musicians now like to produce hits and not albums plus most of the people you guys have mentioned I think have a very limited musical education to begin with so what do you expect.

Last edited:
I think what may have changed is that musicians now like to produce hits and not albums.

i think itunes has a lot to do with this trend too. people dont buy albums now they buy 2 songs. one hit wonders are bound to be the norm.

So who decides what music is "best" anyways? Or is it really about what music can make the most money?

The Grammy's is really all about the dollar while ignoring thousands of other talented artist as if they don't even exist. We'll except for Susan Boyle who managed to get a break.

Reality TV is just one example that proves even crap can be lucrative if highly marketed and promoted.

i think itunes has a lot to do with this trend too. people dont buy albums now they buy 2 songs. one hit wonders are bound to be the norm.

I think that's actually a good thing. I'd rather pay only for the songs I like.

Back