I love the ML sound, but how do I know if my room is compatible without spending $$$$

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
Title kind of says it all.

I know ML's need lots of space to breathe (I've owned Aerius', and a pair of Vista's in the past)

But, what I found in owning them is I couldn't get them to sound as good as they sounded in the store mostly because of the room they were in. So, now I have a different room. Are there any rules of thumb I can use to find out if this room will work well with Logans or if I shouldn't bother?

Probably the best place to start is to discribe your room, related equipment and post a couple of pictures. That will give us someplace to start to make suggestions as to possible problem areas if they exist.

why would Martin Logan be less capable than any other brand????

I know ML's need lots of space to breathe (I've owned Aerius', and a pair of Vista's in the past)

But, what I found in owning them is I couldn't get them to sound as good as they sounded in the store mostly because of the room they were in. So, now I have a different room. Are there any rules of thumb I can use to find out if this room will work well with Logans or if I shouldn't bother?

The best rule I can think of is: try before you buy. Any decent dealer will lend you a pair of speakers to try in your own system in your own home.

The best rule I can think of is: try before you buy. Any decent dealer will lend you a pair of speakers to try in your own system in your own home.

This is of course the best advice, but I am likely to buy used because the closest dealer is over 5 hours away and (more importantly) it fits my budget better.

I'll get some pictures up.

You have owned electrostatics before, so you know what to do, I think.
If you cannot get them out from the rear wall, then maybe you can arrange for some absorbants behind the panel? In this way you can better control the rear wave and improve the sound.

But, what I found in owning them is I couldn't get them to sound as good as they sounded in the store mostly because of the room they were in.

More than likely it's not just the room contributing to you history of not being able to replicate the sound you hear at the dealer, but your equipment as well. I've only owned Vistas and Summits and I had no difficulty geting more than decent sound out of the Vistas in an 11x13 room and the Summits in a 13 x 17 room.

More than likely it's not just the room contributing to you history of not being able to replicate the sound you hear at the dealer, but your equipment as well. I've only owned Vistas and Summits and I had no difficulty geting more than decent sound out of the Vistas in an 11x13 room and the Summits in a 13 x 17 room.

Well, equipment certainly plays a role. I'm not talking about the SIZE of the room but the horrible odd shapes and acoustically awful rooms rather than the properly created and treated demo rooms at a high end dealer.

Well, equipment certainly plays a role. I'm not talking about the SIZE of the room but the horrible odd shapes and acoustically awful rooms rather than the properly created and treated demo rooms at a high end dealer.

Ironically, odd shape rooms oftimes are better than plain rectangles and squares in terms of primary reflections and slap echo. Take a look at my system's current room placement and you would think that it should sound horrid. Some clever placement and an artificial tree and a throw rug (not shown) fixed just about every problem without resorting to complicated, expensive and unsightly room correction devices.

OK it took me awhile to pick up the toddler disaster enough to make a video, but here is a video overview of my room.

The front left of the room has a diagonal fireplace that compresses the available space for 'stuff' (I hate this design). Behind us is open space (lots of open space, cathedral ceilings, kitchen and living room.)

Surround speakers? I can't begin to think how I could do it.

Anyone see some obvious defects that would just save me the pain of trying to go Martin Logan...again?

Oh, and clapping in the room has that 'ringing' sound hanging in the air afterwards, so the acoustics are already pretty crappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKn7n9pJnGw

Last edited:
Hi akm,

I viewed the video and with all due respect, I'd pursue other options such as a high quality mini-monitor based system with sub.

With your child, floor standing speakers could be subject to "how the heck did that happen" phenomena.

Wall mounted mini monitors will address that situation.

You can install dipole rear speakers (also wall mounted) that should give you reasonable surround sound performance. Same concept with your center channel.

Equipment can hopefully be placed in some sort of "child proof" cabinet.

I designed / installed a similar system for my cousin and wife who have the grand kids / baby sitting issue.

Lots of great hardware choices out there. From a speaker perspective, Energy and Definitive Technology come to mind. There are also other hi performance options out there.

Hopefully, other MLC members who have this issue (kid proofing) will chime in.

Good luck.

GG

I tend to concur with what Gordon has said, unless you can put together a 'man cave' elsewhere in your home.

I really appreciate the comments, but I'm willing to risk child-damage, I'm really concerned about acoustic issues. Can anyone give insight into how that space will work acoustically?

Little ones and ESL's scared the death out of me! My grandson, very well behaved for a 4 year old, found the Spires fascinating. Since they were pulled out 4.5 feet, there was a very real trip hazard with the speaker and power wire laying on the floor. So when he visits, they get pushed back against the wall to prevent him from getting hurt. They really don't sound too good back there but his safety is paramount in my mind. My wife gave him some Animal Crackers to snack on. I caught him just in time, preventing the wet, mushy cracker from being pushed into the front of the panel. Kids are kids and I think even if they are taught to keep away, things happen.

I have the Def Tech Mythos set up in my HT in the basement. A fine sounding speaker for music and HT as long as there is a sub installed. When my kids and grandkids come over, they all go there because it is a comfortable, safe and fun place for them all to watch movies and play without being told to be careful and they can be kids, even the 26 year olds!

Gordon

You posted about the damage being acceptable while I was writing the above. I think you have a challenge in front of you trying to put an HT in that room.

Last edited:
Can anyone give insight into how that space will work acoustically?
I can. It's FUBAR, plain and simple.

There are many things you can do to improve/upgrade though. Many aspects beyond space and acoustics depend on whether or not you have friends with the know-how and the tools to get it done correctly.

I really appreciate the comments, but I'm willing to risk child-damage, I'm really concerned about acoustic issues. Can anyone give insight into how that space will work acoustically?

I'd concur with the recommendations regarding considering using Dynamic speakers hung on the wall vs floor standing Electrostats.

You simply do not have the room to allow a Vantage or similar speaker be positioned right, and then there's all the acoustic treatments to walls and other tweaks necessary to help the room, and with all the non-symmetrical layout features (which look nice, but are an acoustic challenge), I'd say you are better off with a set of monopole speakers.

If really looking for that ML-style magic, please consider the Wisdom audio line of speakers. They have some very nice performing models now, including the very best in-walls I've ever heard (although at >$15K, they had better be).

Any decent line-array of dynamic/ribbon speakers will also give you a great result and have that familiar line-source characteristic.

Check out Sela Audio, their DIY kit versions are quite affordable.

OK OK, that space won't work.

I have a family room just up the stairs, it is more square. Let me post a video of THAT and see if we could make it work. (give me a bit)

*MAYBE THIS IS WHY MY VISTAS DIDN'T BLOW ME AWAY, MY ROOM IS CRUD*

Hi akm,

As many will attest, you can have great equipment but it needs to have a reasonable space for one to realize its performance.

Happens all the time.

GG

So, how would Frescos wallmounted work for me?

Back