I just spent two days with the "World's best speaker"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Hey troops,

Just got back from the YG Acoustics factory in Denver and spent some time with their Anat Reference 2, (studio and prof. version) and their smaller Kipod speakers...

I spent a lot of time with the designer Yoav Geva and this guy is a cool cat, probably one of the smartest guys I've ever met. The factory is killer, they use the same CNC machines that are used on the Airbus jets and everything is built to fanatical tolerances.

When we had lunch before hearing the speakers, Yoav asked me about my system and I told him that I had a pair of CLX's, He said "those are excellent speakers!" Unlike a few other high end speaker mfrs. I've met, he let his work do the talking.

The end result?

I must admit that I was skeptical walking in the door, because you know how much I hate the "B-word", but 15 seconds into the first track they played and I was floored.

I've spent time with a lot of the big six figure speakers on the market, and I have to say this is the most musically correct speaker I've had the privilege to experience. Fantastic in every way.

YG is going to send a pair our way for review in about two months, so I'll keep you posted, but for any of you in Europe, they will be showing with ASR at the Munich show shortly. I highly suggest you stop by their booth and check them out, I think you will enjoy what they have to offer.

And tell Yoav I sent you!

They will also be showing at RMAF this year....

Attachments

• Anat_Reference_Main_Module_and_Studio.jpg.jpg
    Anat_Reference_Main_Module_and_Studio.jpg.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 371
Hi Jeff, I’m eager to read your final review of these.

You clearly appreciate what they can do, but please speak (at least here in MLC land) to the significant difference between this point source dynamic speaker vs the CLX linesource dipole electrostat.

These two, very distinct, types of driver tech and overall speaker topology (and associated room interactions) would make comparisons highly variable due to rooms they were auditioned in, right?

I’m sure once you get them into your lair, err, review room, you’ll have a better handle on this. But I’m quite curious.

These were present in Denver for the RMAF. I don't recall listening to them (I wanted to - since they had this big poster proclaming to be the world's best speaker).

I think Dave or Tim might have stopped into the room in question and gave those speakers a listen.

Erik

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the post. Is this speaker you heard just a bigger version of the Kipod or another beast altogether? I heard it's the same speaker, but just calibrated for a bigger room. Not 100% sure. Did you hear both?

There is a member here, I forgot his name (Samboo00701 on Audiogon), that traded his CLX for the Kipod. He raved about the Kipod. A few months later, he has the Kipod listed for sale. I wonder what he's moving on to... Anat, Magico M5, big Focal, big Wilson ...?

I heard the Kipod for a short time right after auditioning the CLX. It may be the best dynamic speaker I have heard, but I am not sure if I would trade for it from the CLX or the Soundlabs. It did not have air, space, transparency, or soundstaging of electrostats, but sounded pretty real. Looking forward to your thoughts and a/b comparisons.

I did hear both...

The Anat is a different speaker than the kipod and even Yoav said, "you are going to need to spend time with the Anat to get the big sound you are used to with your CLX"

It will be interesting to hear the Anat side by side with the CLX and I will do a lot of listening!

Who knows, maybe we can do a get together at my place?

By the way Jeff, how's your ADAM review coming along?

I bet you'll change your mind on the "best" part when you hear the Tensor Alpha - I loved those so much, but I'll be really interested to see if you really do.........

Back