I got horny

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
I [may??] be posting my Vistas in the classified section soon, in case some lucky Australian from the "family" is interested.

a1.jpg

So unfaithful ;)

So, tell us more about the new 'experience,' is it a good ride?

So unfaithful ;)

So, tell us more about the new 'experience,' is it a good ride?

@JonFo o Early days Jon! You should know that more than anyone. I've not much more than dumped them on the floor and connected them up. It'll be a months-long project to get them right, I'm sure. What I know now is this:

The good:

1. The coherence! Wow - bass-panel integration is really a thing. After years of ML ownership, I had lost all track of how I was subconsciously making allowances for (and expecting) a difference in sound around the panel-sub XO. The coherence here is not ceasing to amaze me. Every time something straddles the Vista's sub-panel XO range, I am gobsmacked, like my jaw is on the floor. It's just so effortless and natural.

1a. Add to that, the bass in general. It's active bass, and goes down to below 20Hz. No need for the sub now.!!

1b. Overall balance. It's just more natural, balanced, and less contrived than the 'Logans were - across the whole range. I don't know why.

2. The dynamics. But hey, everyone says that about Avantgardes. It knocks you flat on your back. I'm listening to tracks over and over. 1812......Wow. Tyberg Masses - I can't stop.

The bad:

1. Efficiency. A double edge sword. While the amp is barely leaving idle despite pushing 110dB (a change from ML, haha. And I don't think the neighbours share my excitement), it amplifies all system noise. I've found that my Copland valve preamp is excessively noisy (that is, I can hear hissing (primarily tweeter) from the listening seat). I'll have to get it checked out and fully serviced. For now, I'm driving the amp directly with the Mytek DAC.

2. It doesn't have that electrostatic purity and speed. Despite being a box-less design like ML, it never will. Doesn't matter how much set up and tuning I do, I'm not going to get that back. I don't know if I can come to terms with that. I'll have to wait and see. That's the only reason why I haven't listed the Vistas just yet. I need to be sure I am able to deal with this.

Last edited:
Are those the XD version?

Now what you need is a stack Spacehorn subwoofers, my favorite subwoofer on the planet!

No, not XDs.

Spacehorns - I know, right? Spacehorns are awesome! Would love some - however these go down below 20Hz, so I can't see how I'd ever need them. For Trios, maybe?

@Brad225 - They are abosrbers, and that is glass behind them. Totally necessary! Or are you talking about me, haha :)

@JonFo o Early days Jon! You should know that more than anyone. I've not much more than dumped them on the floor and connected them up. It'll be a months-long project to get them right, I'm sure. What I know now is this:

The good:

1. The coherence! Wow - bass-panel integration is really a thing. After years of ML ownership, I had lost all track of how I was subconsciously making allowances for (and expecting) a difference in sound around the panel-sub XO. The coherence here is not ceasing to amaze me. Every time something straddles the Vista's sub-panel XO range, I am gobsmacked, like my jaw is on the floor. It's just so effortless and natural.

1a. Add to that, the bass in general. It's active bass, and goes down to below 20Hz. No need for the sub now.!!

1b. Overall balance. It's just more natural, balanced, and less contrived than the 'Logans were - across the whole range. I don't know why.

2. The dynamics. But hey, everyone says that about Avantgardes. It knocks you flat on your back. I'm listening to tracks over and over. 1812......Wow. Tyberg Masses - I can't stop.

The bad:

1. Efficiency. A double edge sword. While the amp is barely leaving idle despite pushing 110dB (a change from ML, haha. And I don't think the neighbours share my excitement), it amplifies all system noise. I've found that my Copland valve preamp is excessively noisy (that is, I can hear hissing (primarily tweeter) from the listening seat). I'll have to get it checked out and fully serviced. For now, I'm driving the amp directly with the Mytek DAC.

2. It doesn't have that electrostatic purity and speed. Despite being a box-less design like ML, it never will. Doesn't matter how much set up and tuning I do, I'm not going to get that back. I don't know if I can come to terms with that. I'll have to wait and see. That's the only reason why I haven't listed the Vistas just yet. I need to be sure I am able to deal with this.
Interesting, I just finished a project that would probably sound excellent on those 110/db horns. The Eelekit TU8600S 300B SET amp. I have it powering my Geddes Abbey 12A speakers 2 way B&C 12” woofer and Waveguide/horn tweeter 95/db. It sounds superb and dead silent. It’s great on jazz and vocals but at 9 watts/ch there’s no way it can be used with my Odysseys. This amp has my interest up on what an 805 based SET amp at 48 watts per/ch would do.
I love the looks of those horns, and it sounds like you’re really satisfied with them. As for your thoughts on the good and the bad. They’re a perfect example of no speaker does everything, there are always trade offs. Enjoy man!!! And keep us updated👍

Attachments

• IMG_6432.jpeg
    IMG_6432.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting, I just finished a project that would probably sound excellent on those 110/db horns. The Eelekit TU8600S 300B SET amp. I have it powering my Geddes Abbey 12A speakers 2 way B&C 12” woofer and Waveguide/horn tweeter 95/db. It sounds superb and dead silent. It’s great on jazz and vocals but at 9 watts/ch there’s no way it can be used with my Odysseys. This amp has my interest up on what an 805 based SET amp at 48 watts per/ch would do.
I love the looks of those horns, and it sounds like you’re really satisfied with them. As for your thoughts on the good and the bad. They’re a perfect example of no speaker does everything, there are always trade offs. Enjoy man!!! And keep us updated👍

Looks like an interesting amp. I was already wondering whether a 3w SET integrated lies somewhere in my future?

There are some really nice SET amps out there right now both kits and already built. Probably because the demand is so high, the wait time to get a Decware Zen SET amp built is 4 years, ask me how I know😳. But yes those horns would probably sound phenomenal with a quality 300B, 805, or 2A3 SET amp. The Elekit stuff is nice stuff at a very reasonable price with excellent instructions and are straight forward to build, if you can solder reasonably well and follow directions you can build their kits. Here’s a few shots of my build.

Attachments

• IMG_6355.jpeg
    IMG_6355.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6368.jpeg
    IMG_6368.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
There are some really nice SET amps out there right now both kits and already built. Probably because the demand is so high, the wait time to get a Decware Zen SET amp built is 4 years, ask me how I know😳. But yes those horns would probably sound phenomenal with a quality 300B, 805, or 2A3 SET amp. The Elekit stuff is nice stuff at a very reasonable price with excellent instructions and are straight forward to build, if you can solder reasonably well and follow directions you can build their kits. Here’s a few shots of my build.

You've done a great job there. But that's beyond my abilities, that much I am confident.

Hahahaaha yeah I was very apprehensive at first thinking it may have been beyond my capabilities too. Luckily I had my good friend of many years come over and give me a refresher class on soldering, he’s always been excellent at it and it helped immensely for sure. And as in life nothing is perfect, look at the pic of the amp and the small 12au7 tube on the left, it bugs the hell out of me that it sits crooked to the left because the tube socket is soldered in crooked. And I’m not even going to try desoldering and resoldering the 8 solder joints that attach the socket. Lets just say it gives the amp some character😂 because it has zero affect on the operation of the amp.

Back