I’ve achieved my goal for a killer digital play back system!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
Will, my goal was to configure a streaming music server/External DAC which equal or better my stand alone Esoteric X-03SE CD player for Red Book playback. I strongly feel that I have achieved the goal, in fact the music server edged ahead just a bit in a wider sound stage, more extended highs without the edginess but still organic like. Mid range just to die for. Bass plays back with authority, control and slam. The noise floor is very black like a bottomless pit. It also provides a better 3D holographic sound field which is very cool. Vocalists are very realistic and natural sounding and much more! This is also only playing at 16bit/44.1kHz sample rates. The music server is the little black box on top center.

I truly feel the heart of the streaming play back system is the DAC. It’s extremely important to provide the server the best audio file format you can to take the most advantage of your DAC. I rip to FLAC lossless uncompressed format and store the files on a 3TB USB 3 external drive connected to the laptop via USB 3 port. which is automatically backed up. Software I use for ripping is dBpoweramp. The software on the MS is Jriver Media Center 17. I have the software audio output set to play Wasapi - Event Style. The Music Server is connected to the DAC via WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF Converter > Bel Canto e.One DAC3.5VB So I can play to the max sampling rate of 24bit/192kHz. Even at 16bit/44.1kHz it sounds glorious! Between the DAC and Pre I use the fully balanced XLR interconnects. I have not yet compare the SACD playback but will do soon. The DAC I chosen is the Bel Canto 3.5VB. I love it when a plan comes together! :music:

musicbox1.jpg

musicbox2.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh, the Bel Canto!! Sweet! Is that a separate power supply for it?

will, my goal was to configure a streaming music server/external dac which equal or better my stand alone esoteric x-03se cd player for red book playback. I strongly feel that i have achieved the goal, in fact the music server edged ahead just a bit in a wider sound stage, more extended highs without the edginess but still organic like. Mid range just to die for. Bass plays back with authority, control and slam. The noise floor is very black like a bottomless pit. It also provides a better 3d holographic sound field which is very cool. Vocalists are very realistic and natural sounding and much more! This is also only playing at 16bit/44.1khz sample rates. The music server is the little black box on top center.

I truly feel the heart of the streaming play back system is the dac. It’s extremely important to provide the server the best audio file format you can to take the most advantage of your dac. I rip to flac uncompressed format and store the files separate from the ms. Software i use for ripping is dbpoweramp. The software on the ms is jriver media center 16. I have the software audio output set to play wasapi - event style and to play audio files from memory. The ms is connected to the dac via digital rca s/pdif so i can play to the max sampling rate of 24bit/192khz. Even at 16bit/44.1khz it sounds glorious! Between the dac and pre i use the fully balanced xlr interconnects. I have not yet compare the sacd playback but will do soon. The dac i chosen is the bel canto 3.5vb. I love it when a plan comes together! :music:

10092011a.jpg

10092011b.jpg

very good news, i'm happy for you. I can't wait till i get my streaming system together now. One important thing i noticed about your bel canto dac - it doesn't have a usb input. So what usb to spdif converter are you using then?

Ahhh, the Bel Canto!! Sweet! Is that a separate power supply for it?

Yes, That's the Bel Canto VBS1 Power Supply. It is required. This is a 2 box system. Below it the manufactures description:

Bel Canto’s e.One Virtual Battery Supply (VBS) technology combines low noise switching technology, multiple stages of isolation, filtration and regulation to create a highly stable low noise power base for the VB front end audio components. The VBS1 supplies power for up to 3 front end VB designated components providing the cleanest power possible. The compact, heavy gauge, all-steel chassis provides additional isolation establishing an ultra low noise power foundation for building the ultimate audio playback system that brings music to life with extraordinary nuance and power.

The foundation of the VBS1 is based on intricate stages of filtration. The initial pre filtration stage supplies the low noise rectification and high energy storage to the SMPS that restructures the power to high frequency energy outside the audio band. This eliminates any possibility of the noise affecting the audible signal. The output filtering has a massive bank of LC filtration providing over 100 dB of isolation starting below 100 Hz and Polypropylene capacitors that ensure hundreds of amperes of peak current across the wide frequency spectrum are delivered.

The greatest reduction in noise occurs in the lower region of the audio frequency band in the critical midrange where the ear is most sensitive to noise and has the greatest impact on micro dynamics that lets you experience the subtle changes in timbre and a deeper more powerful bass. Reducing noise from the power line is critical to the overall performance of your audio. Eliminating the negative effects will allow your equipment to function at its optimal level.

2010prod_eOne_angled.jpg

very good news, i'm happy for you. I can't wait till i get my streaming system together now. One important thing i noticed about your bel canto dac - it doesn't have a usb input. So what usb to spdif converter are you using then?

The Music Server is connected to the DAC via digital RCA S/PDIF So I can play to the max sampling rate of 24bit/192kHz. It's the ultimate way to connect. Not all motherboards have the digital RCA S/PDIF.

Last edited:
George, I believe FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is lossless compression, not uncompressed like WAV or AIFF. Great setup you have!

Last edited:
George, I believe FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is lossless compression, not uncompressed like WAV or AIFF. Great setup you have!

Compression Level 0 requires the least compression time, whilst Compression Level 8 the most. Then there’s no compression. With dBpoweramp I have the Encoding set for no compression.

Why? It has an IEC input, doesn't it?

That's a negative. The entire circuitry in the DAC is dedicated to operation of performing the DAC service and requires a external 12VDC power supply.

See diagram below.

bkDAC3_5.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice system. In regard to the music server sw - JRiver Media Center 17, have you done any comparisons to other players like Winamp, Foobar, etc? I found that WASAPI gave me a bit of the EQ "V" setting effect with less mid than with other output choices. Not sure if that's an artifact of Winamp, my system etc, etc. Sounds like WASAPI is working great for you.

George, congrats on a very nice setup. Glad you are happy with the results.

@sb6 - WASAPI should be the cleanest path in Win7. It would indeed be interesting to see if FooBar2K specifically provides any differences in Georges system. I use Foobar for its extensive set of options and super-clean WASAPI 8 channel output path.

I use WASAPI - Event Style which is VERY GOOD! I tried FooBar2K and found it cumbersome and had issues with the WASAPI plug-in working properly. I like JRMC 17 as it's very polished and clean. WASAPI - Event Style just kicks azz for me on my system. Playing 24/192 is such a dream come true.

I have swapped out the PC for a more robust laptop which is an Asus Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM with Intel Turbo Boost Technology. What’s nice about this laptop it has both USB 2 & USB 3 ports. I connect the USB to S/PDIF converter and connect the 3TB USB 3 external drive which I store my music files on to the USB 3 port. With this setup both USB 2 & 3 have their own pathways so there will be no constraints due to single congested pathway which would negatively affect playback. This arrangement works better then streaming through my LAN because the throughput for the USB 3 is 5 Gbit/s. This also allows me to play back from memory in another words the laptop is now a killer memory player. It can’t get no better. :music:

Last edited:
What a nice system audioseduction! You seem to be a bit further down this road than I. It does seem that EVERYTHING matters in computer audio, just as in analogue. I have managed to cobble together a decent sounding server utilizing a Fantom Drive external HD>Most Beautiful Sound firewire 800>mac mini (8GB RAM)>Audioquest Coffee USB>Berkeley alpha USB/SPDIF converter>Purist Audio Proteus Provectus AES/EBU> highly modded Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 Mk III dac. I am currently running Pure Music which also allows for memory play. I am considering sending the mac to Mach2 music to have a SSD installed in my mac. Have you perceived the SSD to be helpful in improving the sound?

What a nice system audioseduction! You seem to be a bit further down this road than I. It does seem that EVERYTHING matters in computer audio, just as in analogue. I have managed to cobble together a decent sounding server utilizing a Fantom Drive external HD>Most Beautiful Sound firewire 800>mac mini (8GB RAM)>Audioquest Coffee USB>Berkeley alpha USB/SPDIF converter>Purist Audio Proteus Provectus AES/EBU> highly modded Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 Mk III dac. I am currently running Pure Music which also allows for memory play. I am considering sending the mac to Mach2 music to have a SSD installed in my mac. Have you perceived the SSD to be helpful in improving the sound?

Tony, mainly I like having a SSD is it produces far less noise and vibration with in the laptop. As we all know noise and vibration cold have ill effects on music during playback. Yes, SSD makes less spelling errors. :ROFL: LOL NOT!, That was a good one amey01.

Tony, mainly I like having a SSD is it produces far less noise and vibration with in the laptop. As we all know noise and vibration cold have ill effects on music during playback. Yes, SSD makes less spelling errors. :ROFL: LOL NOT!, That was a good one amey01.

But you've got a 3TB HDD as well, right?

Back