Humming problem!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have been playing around and have done a lot of changes to where I plug in my gear and have gone with one main electrical connection. I then reversed both the phonobox and tables A/C connection and that dramatically decreased the hum! It is still present but very week in comparison and I have to turn the volume almost full way up (with no music of course........500watts!) to hear it. Of course I would like to completely eliminate it but maybe this is the best I can do! You cannot hear it at all during playback or between songs so I guess I can say 95% problem solved!

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

good so tell us how does it sound ?

When I first decided to buy a table, I was not sure if all the hype was true or realistic. I can tell you that I am amazed at how a 500$ TT can sound through my Quests. I have never heard better bass and smoother highs.

My system is not worth 50000$ but it is of top quality consisting of Bryston power amps (7BSST2) and Preamp along with a Cambridge Audio 840C and computer server as well. Even though the CD player is not worth 5000$, it is still considered one of the best bargains around so being beat by a TT at this price to my ears, is only a fraction of what some of you own on this site. I can definately see myself upgrading this area in the future once I experiment some more. I am pretty sure that the upgraded cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Red has something to do with the better sound than the original but even though, this is entry level and I am really impressed!

I would still like to find the source of the little hum I have left to fix but it is really hard to pinpoint it.

When I first decided to buy a table, I was not sure if all the hype was true or realistic. I can tell you that I am amazed at how a 500$ TT can sound through my Quests. I have never heard better bass and smoother highs.

My system is not worth 50000$ but it is of top quality consisting of Bryston power amps (7BSST2) and Preamp along with a Cambridge Audio 840C and computer server as well. Even though the CD player is not worth 5000$, it is still considered one of the best bargains around so being beat by a TT at this price to my ears, is only a fraction of what some of you own on this site. I can definately see myself upgrading this area in the future once I experiment some more. I am pretty sure that the upgraded cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Red has something to do with the better sound than the original but even though, this is entry level and I am really impressed!

I would still like to find the source of the little hum I have left to fix but it is really hard to pinpoint it.

sounds like a lot of fun glad to see you finally have gotten some nice sounds from your TT I can listen to my records for so long as the sound is so mellow and musical.

I wouldn't knock yourself out. The little bit of hum is just what's in the Phono Box. It doesn't have a terribly sophisticated power supply and you're always going to get a little noise with tubes. Even my Steelhead has a little bit of hum compared to a SS phono pre.

I wouldn't knock yourself out. The little bit of hum is just what's in the Phono Box. It doesn't have a terribly sophisticated power supply and you're always going to get a little noise with tubes. Even my Steelhead has a little bit of hum compared to a SS phono pre.

yup! just remember this is analog dude!

Thanks everybody. I thought that a little hum is normal.

By the way Tonepub, my Phonobox is not the tube model but the regular one with USB output.

I did also have a slight buzz problem as well but figured out it was my dimmer in the room causing the problem. Bought 2 lamps and problem solved.

seeing you have a solid state tube box, can it be run on battery power? that might help some of your issues if you still would like to eliminate noise...

Back