Howdy from TX!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aront

Reaction score
A few years ago I started a system with some gear from Definitive Technology (2x studio monitors and a clr center). And I loved them dearly. Next, I purchased a 12" subwoofer from HSU Research. And then some SpeakerCraft AIM8 in-ceiling speakers to round-out the 5.1 system.

About 6 months ago, I got the itch for something with a little more oomph. So I started demoing some things. I was happy with my DefTechs so I started out looking at some of their towers. Eventually someone suggest that I look at the MartinLogan ElectroMotions. I knew of ML but they'd always been outside my price range, at least until that time anyways.

I instantly loved the electrostats and I was shocked at how much sound I could get for the money. I picked them up from an a/v shop near my house for a decent price and I purchased an Emotiva UPA-2 stereo amp to provide some dedicated power.

As I'm sure MartinLogan intended when releasing their "budget" electrostat, I'm now addicted. I just purchased a Motif center to really give my h/t that extra pop. The DefTech center didn't integrate well and I really wanted something more substantial than a phantom center.

In the near future, I'd like to upgrade my amp to a more powerful three-channel amp and then run the surrounds from my old stereo amp. At that point I'll want to swap out my receiver for a dedicated pre/pro. Long-term? Who knows! Maybe upgrade my mains to something bigger like the Theos. One thing's for sure, I'm definitely a convert!

Thanks for the welcome, I plan to take some pictures and post them very soon!

It is always a magical moment when you fire up those electrostats for the first time and just kick back to the distortion free sound. The Electromotions are a fine speaker and give you 90% of the ML experience. Upgrading amps and preamps is sweet because you can really tell where your money has went unlike alot of other speaker designs. Take big leaps instead of small steps in the upgrade path and you will save alot of money and hassle for shipping charges etc... Welcome to the family

Take big leaps instead of small steps...

What, in your opinion, would you consider a "big leap?" I definitely think replacing the DefTechs with the Logans was a HUGE improvement. I was thinking the Theos would be a logical next move since it's a bigger panel and has a better processor. Though I won't upgrade until after I upgrade several other speakers/components.

What, in your opinion, would you consider a "big leap?" I definitely think replacing the DefTechs with the Logans was a HUGE improvement. I was thinking the Theos would be a logical next move since it's a bigger panel and has a better processor. Though I won't upgrade until after I upgrade several other speakers/components.

When i was saying big leaps I was mostly talking about the preamp and amp section. I agree that you have taken it to a whole new level with the speaker upgrade although you can get used summit for the price of new Ethos ? A theater would be a great addition or a Stage for the most demanding aspects of HT. I owned the matinee ,heard the motif and love the stage center. You really do get a huge increase in performance with the theater or stage. Anthem pre's sound great, I have an avm for hdmi hook up and our site founder TomDac also has the Anthem D2. Integra 80.3 would be next on my list for preamps. All the guys here know in great detail what amps to use as they have had their ears on more than I ever will in my lifetime

I am so out of the loop I don't even know ANYTHING about the current line up of ML speakers!

Where in TX are you? If you are in the Austin area you are welcome to come out to my place (Cedar Park) and hear a full 7.1 ML HT system anchored by Prodigy speakers and Rotel gear! Be warned, most everything else you listen to after will sound weak and sad to you... :)

I am so out of the loop I don't even know ANYTHING about the current line up of ML speakers!

Where in TX are you? If you are in the Austin area you are welcome to come out to my place (Cedar Park) and hear a full 7.1 ML HT system anchored by Prodigy speakers and Rotel gear! Be warned, most everything else you listen to after will sound weak and sad to you... :)

You still have an awesome rig that would put many of the current lineups to shame

You still have an awesome rig that would put many of the current lineups to shame

No need to worry, I love absolutely love my setup. Of course, when money allows, I'll have no problem upgrading.

What kind of projector do you use? Any recommendations for a future purchaser?

Hi and welcome. I have to agree about the Anthem processors. The room correction is great and they sound as good as I have heard. The ML's are something else and as all have commented are revelaing of what is before them in the chain. Happy listening you won't be sorry with the ML's they are fantastic speakers.

I have to agree about the Anthem processors.

Right now, my Pioneer ELITE receiver is pulling duty as my stereo pre/pro and it has worked very well. I'm thoroughly impressed by the sound from the ElectroMotions. As far as an upgrade, do you have any thoughts on the Marantz AV7005?

Welcome! A bit of advice: Be sure to investigate sound treatments, probably one of the best investments you can make for sound improvement, especially with logans. Enjoy!

Back