How to buy a turntable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be VERY wary of buying a vintage unit. If it has not been cared for and motor and/or arm bearings are worn out you could end up tossing it all out in frustration.

Attention deficit, eh?

I cited 8 records that I purchased where I specifically already owned original first pressings as reference. I have purchased many more re-issues than that, but it would not be appropriate to pass judgement on those without having intimate knowledge of what the originals sounded like.

Also I find it quite interesting that you would use this discourse to berate the publication I do some work for and marginalize my depth of klnowledge on this subject without knowing anything about me or my background or the body of work I have produced over the years. Yet another very classy move on your part.

So buying eight records that sucked constitutes "most"?

Your perspective is pretty limited. Most of the recent mofi stuff is fantastic. Most of acoustic sounds releases have been excellent. All af the music matters jazz series is excellent. And that's just a start. There have always been good, bad and marginal records.

You've written a couple of reviews and you're trying to lecture me about hype? Get some experience and then we'll talk about perspective...

If you want to drink the kool aid, that's fine. But to say that most remasters are inferior is pretty shoddy reporting, especially under the guise of working for a publication....

Back