how much power is it pushing?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is250sp

Reaction score
I have the Logos which is rated at 5 ohms. My amp is the Outlaw Audio mono rated at 200 watts in 8 ohms and 300 watts in 4 ohms. So how much power is it pushing to the Logos?

I have the Logos which is rated at 5 ohms. My amp is the Outlaw Audio mono rated at 200 watts in 8 ohms and 300 watts in 4 ohms. So how much power is it pushing to the Logos?

When you're listening or maximum?

When you're listening you'll be lucky to be going past 0.5 to 1 watt.

Maximum is dependent on the impedance curve.

Why do you care so long as you get to your maximum listening level without any distress ?

Given the lack of any meter on the amp, it's anybody's guess.

As long as the amp is not distorting at high volume levels and sounds good to you, it would seem that's what important.

My Pass Labs measures and shows current draw on the faceplate meter. I have no idea what this means regarding watts being output / used.

GG

so i can be armed with an accurate response to any inquiring minds....

Amey01 is right concerning output in most conditions... rarely over 10 watts... but power will rapidly increase exponentially as you increase volume. If inquiring minds must know get a McIntosh Amp and they can read it right off the faceplate meter. :)

If you cannot measure the voltage applied to the speaker terminals directly, then if you happen to have a calibrated SPL meter and assuming that the speaker manual has the sensitivity/impedance spec-d more or less accurately, you can try and estimate the electrical power flowing from the amp to the speaker based on the SPL measurement @ 1 meter.

Namely, for Logos the manual says that the sensitivity is 89 db/2.83 volts @ 1 meter and the impedance is between 5 and 2.75 ohms depending on the frequency. Which means that in order to provide 89 db @ 1 meter you need to supply roughly between 0.8 and 1.5 watts of electrical power.

Given this you can always estimate the electrical power based on the actual SPL measured @ 1 meter. If, say, when you listen to your favorite music the SPL meter says 109 db @ 1 meter (20 db above the 89 db), the electrical power flowing from the amp to the speaker is going to be roughly between 8 and 15 watts.

Amey01 is right concerning output in most conditions... rarely over 10 watts... but power will rapidly increase exponentially as you increase volume. If inquiring minds must know get a McIntosh Amp and they can read it right off the faceplate meter. :)
Are those meters fast enough to really read peaks? There IS mechanical inertia to overcome in those mechanisms.

Yes the meters definitely are quick enough, there is also a "peak hold" setting which will keep the meter at the highest point until another peak higher is established.
They are very responsive and it is amazing to see the power jump 5 fold+for peaks reinforcing the exponential power needed to increase volume levels.

Latest posts

Back