How loud?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably around 80 db for music. If , I put on a good action movie such as transfomers, etc, I tend to turn it up a notch or two.

Having a dedicated soundproof room is great in regards to not disturbing anyone else at any time of the day or night.
Cheers, Greg

How loud ?

Once the blood (from my ears) drips and lands on my shoulder I know I've got it loud enough !

Seriously though, it really depends on the music, trying at best to replicate a 'Live venue' , as others have said 85 db plus or minus 5db I suspect

Do they have a similar app for the BlackBerry Storm? My wife has this phone and would love to get it if it is available.

Glen

Do they have a similar app for the BlackBerry Storm? My wife has this phone and would love to get it if it is available.

Glen

Sorry Glen, but one is lucky if the BB platform gets a tenth of the software that the iPhone platform gets.

These more specialized solutions are going to be pretty much unique to Apple, and maybe, just maybe to Android.

Trust me, my business is mobile applications. And you would be surprised at how far behind the BB platform is getting, in spite of it presence in enterprise environments.

Thanks Jonathan for the information. I would go with the iPhone if it were offered by Verizon. Too bad it's not.:( BTW nice link. Looks interesting.

Glen

Simple.

The better the system, the less volume required.

GG

I beg to differ, the better the system, the closer you can get to realistic volume levels, around 92dB peaks for classical, say, and a little louder for rock, without the fatiguing sound that comes from lesser systems.

Depends on music, genre, mood, time of day and whether anyone else is home. I do find however, that most recordings have an ideal volume level. Most of the time I would say around 80dB with peaks around 85dB.

I agree with this. Every album/CD has a volume where it sounds the most realistic IMS. I may set my levels a little higher, around 90dB peaks for orchestral music, 80 to 85dB for chamber/jazz, louder for rock.

For me, its not about fatigue. It's about hearing the acoustic space of the recording and how the instruments are reproduced in that space.

If someone needs to be at 92db to accomplish that, so be it.

I don't.

If it sounds crap, the antidote is to turn it down. If it sounds good, I want more, so I'll probably turn it up.

If I am having a serious listening session, I have it on what I would call loud. I haven't been anal enough to measure it yet, but I have an excellent microphone, so this thread has got me curious enough to check it out. I'll download the appropriate s/w and do it accurately, but it'd be nice to find something that takes an average over a 3-4 hour session, say.

Having said that, there are so many things I intend to do that I never get round to. Most of the time it is just easier to listen:)

I'm not a fan of stepped attenuators even though I appreciate the impact they can have in the replay chain. I prefer the ultra fine volume control setting afforded by a very high quality potentiometer, some decent gearing, an R/C, and a seperate independent motor. One of the reasons I love my Air Tight passive pre. A truly excellent piece of kit, I think.

For me, its not about fatigue. It's about hearing the acoustic space of the recording and how the instruments are reproduced in that space.

If someone needs to be at 92db to accomplish that, so be it.

I don't.

It's not about needing to do anything, it's about MY experience of listening to live music and attempting, usually with modest results, to duplicate that in my living room. For me one of those aspects is an appropriate volume level that recreates that sound as best as possible. For me, in my room, with my system, turning up the volume doesn't collapse the soundstage or mask the acoustic space of a recording. If it is on the recording I feel I can generally reproduce it. If an orchestra e. g. the LA Phil hits a peak north of 95dB as they did at a performance of Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony, I want to hear that! YMMV

In my system and with my room acoustics, there is no right or wrong volume number. There are way too many variables such as hardware, room size / acoustics / treatments, the quality of the recording, the distance you sit from your speakers, etc. to universally say "X" db is the right volume.

Regarding volume and impacts on dimensionality, there is clearly a connection.

IMO, louder (past the optimum level) will bring instruments forward, compromise depth, tonal quality, and the feeling that you are listening to a system reproducing music versus connecting to the music.

This thread made me think about the time before I had a full set of room treatments in my room. Back then, if I turned up the volume past a certain point, the room would ‘overload’ and the ringing at various frequencies would skew the musical balance and the ‘fatigue’ that some mention would set in pretty quick.

When measuring to check in preparation for my big room treatments saga, I found that as the volume increased in certain mid and high frequencies, my particular room would start to build up some pretty nasty modal ringing. At around 3 to 4Khz, it was really pretty bad at 89dB. While not hugely loud, that’s a level frequently hit by peaks when listening at a more moderate average level.

The point is, if the room has resonances in the bass, and ringing in the highs at various power levels, the system will sound dramatically different when it’s below those thresholds than when it is above it.

This is why we occasionally see some ESL user saying they can’t be played loud, or that they ‘distort’, etc. etc.

Unless one knows how they have set them up, how the room is treated (or not), and a few things about their gear (some distortion is often from overdriven amps), hearing them say that level X is max is not something that can be generalized.

For instance, even though from 2005 to now, my amps and speakers are substantially the same (repaneled Monoliths in 2006), placed the same and in the same room; yet I’ve been able to dramatically increase the total SPL level at which my system can perform cleanly by over 10dB. How?
Appropriate room treatments.

The system now has a much more uniform sonic signature and performance from very low levels to what most people would identify as loud (avg in the high 80’s low 90s). The funny thing is it’s hard to tell when it’s playing loud now. And I get to see my favorite effect: one person turning to another to say something, and realize they can’t even hear themselves ;)

I let the recording and style of music dictate how loud I play it. I will say, though, that in my experience the better the recording the louder I want to play it even though less volume is required because it is exceptionally recorded.

I'm not a fan of stepped attenuators even though I appreciate the impact they can have in the replay chain. I prefer the ultra fine volume control setting afforded by a very high quality potentiometer...........
Justin, I was astounded by the improvement when I replaced the crappy ALPS pot in my preamp with a stepped attenuator. Granted the pot was not very high quality by any means, but the improvement was amazing. I have never found that it would have been nice to have an intermediate position between steps - the DACT I am using has 22 steps, I think. Of course, I am fortunate that the levels are so well-matched that I use the control between about 12 and 3 for normal listening (LP and CD), and I do not listen to anything at earbleed levels.

I believe you Bernard. I was playing (and listening) with a Kondo M77 that uses a stepped attenuator the other day, and noticed it was a bit noisy between steps, to be honest. So that can be a disadvantage. Ridiculously expensive (but good) preamp.

I should take a picture of the potentiometer in the Air Tight. When I first saw it, I smiled. It's rather large, to say the least. A million miles away from an Alps Blue (which always go noisy after a few years).

Justin, I was astounded by the improvement when I replaced the crappy ALPS pot in my preamp with a stepped attenuator. Granted the pot was not very high quality by any means, but the improvement was amazing. I have never found that it would have been nice to have an intermediate position between steps - the DACT I am using has 22 steps, I think. Of course, I am fortunate that the levels are so well-matched that I use the control between about 12 and 3 for normal listening (LP and CD), and I do not listen to anything at earbleed levels.

What is a stepped attenuator? Is that a resistor ladder?

How does it go with a motorised control?

Sorry Glen, but one is lucky if the BB platform gets a tenth of the software that the iPhone platform gets.

These more specialized solutions are going to be pretty much unique to Apple, and maybe, just maybe to Android.

Trust me, my business is mobile applications. And you would be surprised at how far behind the BB platform is getting, in spite of it presence in enterprise environments.

Finally got an iphone this weekend and switched from Verizon. Had been in the same signal-over-cool camp but realized I was using my wife's phone more than she was. Plus, doesnt look like verizon os going to get an iphone till next year.

Before i plonk and buy Audio Tools, wanted to clarify:
a) I've never used an external RTA before - just the inbuilt stuff in most receivers. How "intuitive" is the RTA interface and supporting documentation for a beginner?
b) For analyzing room response before and after room treatments, and to figure out what db level I should set the Summit 25 and 50 Hz levels to, is the basic Audio Tools all I will need or will I need some of the add on or professional applications?
c) has anyone used it with an iphone 3 GS? Their website mentions that there are some 3 GS updates coming up and Ive written to them to clarify but thought Id ask here as well

Guessing that there isnt some other similar app I should be looking at?

thanks

Wow - got a response back from Audio Tools within 5 minutes of writing to them! All their applications are now fully 3GS compliant, FYI

Back