How Long is Break-in?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessJosh

Reaction score
Hi again, my second e-mail. I received the ML Ethos a few days ago. I am wondering just how long it takes to break them in. At the moment after playing them for about ten hours, the sound has improved in the bass area somewhat and possibly an overall improvement of 5 to 10%. I don't want my friends to hear them until they are completely broken in and at their best.

Also, the treble seems a little too high pitched. I have an Integra 80.2 and am wondering if I should either buy a new processor/preamp which might improve the sound of the Ethos or even possibly a top of the line receiver. I also own a Rotel power amp Class D which stays cool all the time but I have read that the sound is also a little cool. Since I play classical music about 75% of the time, I really need the best sound for that category. These may be dumb questions but I feel you guys have much experience with MLs than I do. Thanks for any advice.:bowdown::bowdown:

Jesse Joseph

100 hours more or less.

Which electronics, only you can make that call. Suggest auditioning in your system before buying.

why don't you have them over explain what you are doing and let them listen with you while they are breaking in and see what they think. Fun time with the firends!

I guess I am taking this break-in thing too seriously. I can now actually even now hear a difference from yesterday so I may as well let others in on the game. Thanks.

JessJosh

For MLs and classical music, nothing beats tube amplification. If you must stick with solid state, warmer amps like Pass Labs XA series or Macintosh are a solid choice.

75-100 hours for the most basic changes. Probably hear small changes (depending on your ears, LOL) for up to 200 hours.
I think tubes are the way to go, or, if you want to keep the temperature (literally) down, the Rogue Audio "Medusa" is a class D hybrid, with a S/S power section and tube front end. That was the 3rd of the 4 amps I've used with my set up, and am now using a set of tube PrimaLuna Mono Blocks. While all 4 of the units I've used have been "pleasant", a Mark Levinson, a Cary 200.2 S/S and the Medusa, the all tubes I'm using now sound the best. Why a receiver? You would be sacrificing too much before you start, especially with the investment you have in your speakers.

Scotty

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14619-System-461-(Theos)

For MLs and classical music, nothing beats tube amplification. If you must stick with solid state, warmer amps like Pass Labs XA series or Macintosh are a solid choice.
Rich, what are you using for a power amp?

The integra is a bright preamp because it is intended for HT, If you want something warmer then go for an Anthem d2

Rich, what are you using for a power amp?

I have Sanders Sound mono blocs (800 wpc and designed specifically to drive electrostatic speakers) on my Summits in my main media room. They were a little bright with a solid state pre, but sound awesome with my ARC Ref 3 preamp. I also have a Pass Labs X350.5 driving my Ascents in my second system and it sounds superb. I used to drive the Ascents with my Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp on the panels with a SS amp on the woofers (with a CJ tube pre), and that also sounded superb. Currently, I don't have the CJ gear hooked up to anything, which is a real shame. Too many amps and pre's and not enough speakers (or room for a third system). I know . . . tough position to be in. I would sell the CJ gear, but I love it so much and hope to use it again in the future.

I would be very happy with the CJ gear driving my Summits in the main system, except it puts out too much heat for that room and space is an issue. Also, it is nice to not have to worry about the tube maintenance issues. The sanders amps perform at a high level and have tons of headroom. They are very accurate and very neutral in tone. They certainly don't have the warmth and depth of tone in the lower midrange that the Pass Labs exhibits.

Back