Home theatre PC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
Could I use my extra desktop or laptop as a HTPC?

Would it be tough to hookup? What conveniences or controls might I gain since I am only running the basics (DVD, CD/SACD, Plasma, DVR, etc)?

Lee

Could I use my extra desktop or laptop as a HTPC?

Would it be tough to hookup? What conveniences or controls might I gain since I am only running the basics (DVD, CD/SACD, Plasma, DVR, etc)?

Lee

In my opinion I would never use a HTPC again. They are nothing but headaches. Media Center software constantly has issues. If you don't mind constantly tinkering with the system to get it working properly then go for it. If you don't have strong computer skills it will be a nightmare. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

In my opinion I would never use a HTPC again. They are nothing but headaches. Media Center software constantly has issues. If you don't mind constantly tinkering with the system to get it working properly then go for it. If you don't have strong computer skills it will be a nightmare. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

I have found just the opposite once set up and configured I have had NO issues with windows media center, then again I am a PC/Network tech by trade however you must realize after working on other peoples pc,s all day the LAST thing i want to do is mess with mine
There are certain things to be aware of though,Like once it is setup and working LEAVE IT ALONE,no updates including drivers, don't use the HTPC to test things, no random software, basically you now have a computer with a specific purpose if that's what you use it for it should not have problems

what's the best way to pull a digital (SPDIF) or even HDMI signal from a HTPC?

LOA

LOA

Most of the Media Center PC's will have a SPDIF output built in. DVI to HDMI converter would work for the HDMI issue. No audio though.

Most of the Media Center PC's will have a SPDIF output built in. DVI to HDMI converter would work for the HDMI issue. No audio though.

well, currently i feed hdmi from the blu-ray into an HD-Fury that converts to RGB which feeds into the CRT projector. audio is handled seperately by my bryston pre-pro which is distinctly audio only and very very non-hdmi :)

LOA

I dunno about HDMI, but the best way to pull S/PDIF is by putting the darn thing in another room and using a Squeezebox!

As for a HTPC Lee, if you're talking about a "Spare" then chances are it won't have the power to do the application justice.

If you just want to stream music, then as above, all you need is any old PC and a Squeezebox, however if you want to stream/record full HD video then I'd take it you'll need something pretty much cutting edge.\

Whatever the case, you'll need MASSIVE disks - or be able to attach massive disks!

As for you other questions, I'm best let someone that actually has a HTPC chime in.....

Last edited:
Also the ATI 4850 handles 8ch PCM over HDMI.

I'm slowly relying less and less on the HTPC, as my preamp becomes the streaming playback device and the three physical media players handle real-time playback.
Right now HTPC is strictly for time-shifting SD DVD’s. That’s it.

I have Vista Ultimate and a new mobo and case waiting in the wings, but I’m procrastinating as everying seems to be fine so far. So no rush…

LOA

I use a Creative X-Fi in my HTPC because it lets you do digital out (coax or optical) in a special bit-matched mode to the reciever.

I've had an HTPC for about 5 years now (on my second one) and love it. I don't actually use it for DVR though. I use mine to playback my CD's ripped with EAC, use Rhapsody for finding new music, and general web browsing via my 61" plasma. I'm on it now... :)

I would agree with what others have said though. If you're not strong in computers then pick one thimg you want it to do, get it configured to do that, and don't mess with it...

In general though... I don't have any problems with mine that I don't have with all of my other PC's. I guess the one thing different would be the blue-tooth keyboard & mouse which often lose their pairing. That's been a royal pain...

Good luck however you go.

-steve

Back